Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Austin00

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
Hi All,

Just got back from the meadowhall apple store after a bit of a pain with apples apparently un-noticed change to the applecare discount for education store valid purchases.

Normally, we can expect a ~80% discount on applecare through the education store, but i was told when i went to pick up my rMBP that its changed to 30%!!

Normally, i just get it as its so cheap at £50, but £180-190 is too much for me to just add-on.

Luckily, as i'd called the education store about 10days prior, i had a quote in my email inbox from that call that i showed the rep (and eventually the manager) and they honoured it.

Difference in total being in excess of £200 more for the exact same products
- rMBP base model
- AppleCare warranty
- £70 Gift card for back to school promotion

Just thought i'd let everyone know as when the rep told me, and then went to get the manager, i quickly googled it and couldn't find anything about them reducing the discount on AC

Total final price = £1590

Austin

PVisitors

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Hi All,

Just got back from the meadowhall apple store after a bit of a pain with apples apparently un-noticed change to the applecare discount for education store valid purchases.

Normally, we can expect a ~80% discount on applecare through the education store, but i was told when i went to pick up my rMBP that its changed to 30%!!

Normally, i just get it as its so cheap at £50, but £180-190 is too much for me to just add-on.

Luckily, as i'd called the education store about 10days prior, i had a quote in my email inbox from that call that i showed the rep (and eventually the manager) and they honoured it.

Difference in total being in excess of £200 more for the exact same products
- rMBP base model
- AppleCare warranty
- £70 Gift card for back to school promotion

Just thought i'd let everyone know as when the rep told me, and then went to get the manager, i quickly googled it and couldn't find anything about them reducing the discount on AC

Total final price = £1590

Austin

If you order online via the education store then you can get the 3 year warranty for free in essence cutting out the need for buying Applecare.

Austin00

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
If you order online via the education store then you can get the 3 year warranty for free in essence cutting out the need for buying Applecare.

Wow, had no idea.

Can't check unfortunately, as i'm on a placement year so i cant look at the campus education website. But in store, it has definitely changed.

Austin00

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
I'm not sure, maybe someone can help?

I'd be surprised if applecare was negated by legislation

PVisitors

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
doesn't the UK have a law regarding manufacturer warranties anyways?

We have the Sales of Goods Act which if you start quoting at most places they will give in and fix it for you. You would be stumped if they still refused though unless you want to try take it to court which wouldn't be worth the effort and no guarantee of winning. Basically the Sales of Goods Acts means that even when out of warranty, if there has been a 'breach' you have the right for it to be repaired free of charge. So basically you can argue that a Macbook (even with no Applecare) which breaks within 2 years of purchase wasn't fit for purpose and you should be entitled for a free repair.

It's not a widespread thing published or extended warranty, it's mainly to cover manufacturing defects at any time since the purchase. More you use it as a way of trying to get the upper hand over the shop if they're refusing to do it. I would still pay that extra money to have a 3 year warranty guaranteed without having to try push your way around into getting a free repair.

There is the EU law though which Apple are being taken to court over (I think) that all products should have at least 2 years warranty, but this isn't the case right now. And even so, assuming the EU do rule in favour of Apple mandatory needing to give 2 years, the UK is a bit of a special case with the EU so it may not even be applicable over here. The government could choose to keep our current legislation over EU legislation, for example.

dazmanuk

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2012

This is NOT the case. I have confirmed this with an Apple representative.

PVisitors

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
This is NOT the case. I have confirmed this with an Apple representative.

Yes it is. The Apple representative either doesn't know himself or lied to try get an extra sale of Applecare.

4K9zQ.jpg

Aksta

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
Surrey, UK
When ordering online or over the phone you get parts and labour extended for 3 years but only 1 year phone support. One of the reasons to avoid buying in store if you are a student. Also a quick google search will allow you to get uni discount from home and you can choose your own uni in case your worried apple will ask you for confirmation

dazmanuk

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2012
Yes it is. The Apple representative either doesn't know himself or lied to try get an extra sale of Applecare.

4K9zQ.jpg

Do you have a link to an actual page rather than an image? Images can be doctored. (Not saying you have, just I'll need the link to confirm)

PVisitors

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Do you have a link to an actual page rather than an image? Images can be doctored. (Not saying you have, just I'll need the link to confirm)

No sure why I would photoshop that but okay:

http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000710/configure/MD101B/A?

And

http://appleagreement.procureweb.ac.uk/

daleski75

macrumors 68000
Dec 10, 2008
Northampton, UK
Right.. but that isn't complimentary.. it's +£60..

Its +£60 for 3 years of technical support and not for apple care to make it 3 years. If you look at the icons one is a red telephone for the uplift to 3 years technical support and the other screwdriver icon shows 3 years warranty.

Or at least that is how I am reading it.

PVisitors

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
I'll post my warranty coverage when I get home. The second link I posted all but confirms it..

dazmanuk

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2012
I'll post my warranty coverage when I get home. The second link I posted all but confirms it..

But your second link is a 3rd party website with nothing to do with Apple.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying £60 is outrageous for the extended warranty, it's an awesome price and I'll probably end up purchasing it if it isn't handed out FOC. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of whether it is actually FOC or whether people have interpreted it wrongly etc.

As I said; an Apple.com rep has emailed me confirming that the information of getting it FOC is false. :apple:

Edit: The wording on the website is-
"Every new Mac purchased from the Apple Store for Higher Education comes with complimentary telephone technical support for one year from your Mac purchase date and three years of repair coverage. With the AppleCare Protection Plan (Extended Telephone Technical Support), you can extend your telephone technical support to three years from the computer's purchase date. You can call Apple's award-winning experts as often as you like and get your questions answered.

I've just copied and pasted that to the Apple rep.. I'll see what he says

Last edited:

PVisitors

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
But your second link is a 3rd party website with nothing to do with Apple.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying £60 is outrageous for the extended warranty, it's an awesome price and I'll probably end up purchasing it if it isn't handed out FOC. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of whether it is actually FOC or whether people have interpreted it wrongly etc.

As I said; an Apple.com rep has emailed me confirming that the information of getting it FOC is false. :apple:

Yes it is for christs sake. They're the ones who hand out the contract. Apple are the suppliers who won the contract. This is why it is online only.

Suit yourself but you might as well throw your £60 down the drain. Read Apple's service section again. It clearly states that all macs Purchased through the higher education get free 3 year hardware coverage.

Heres another website or are you going to discredit the UKs largest student forum as being false because one misinformed apple rep told you otherwise?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Apple_Student_Discount

PVisitors

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Chill your beans, Winston. :rolleyes:

I said earlier that I just wanted to confirm and they have now confirmed that 3yr repair warranty is correct, with 1 yr telephone.

Thanks

Lol apologies for snapping, being dragged around shopping with your girlfriend = not fun.

rh1

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2010
Britain

4K9zQ.jpg

True. I really don't appreciate how they all seem clueless about Macs bought on the Education Store having FREE 3 Year AppleCare.

They will of course always tempt you to include the telephone support £60, which to me is always a NO, since you'll still have to always call them through their credit munching 0844 numbers!! Despite that most students will rarely need telephone support!!

So yeah, if you're a student on campus and eligible, buy your Mac online and get 3 YEAR AppleCare.

But be prepared to stand your case (spending at least 20 minutes on the phone) to get upgrade from 1 YEAR AppleCare to 3 YEAR AppleCare.

Good luck! Most of us deserve it anyways.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
True. I really don't appreciate how they all seem clueless about Macs bought on the Education Store having FREE 3 Year AppleCare.

They will of course always tempt you to include the telephone support £60, which to me is always a NO, since you'll still have to always call them through their credit munching 0844 numbers!! Despite that most students will rarely need telephone support!!

So yeah, if you're a student on campus and eligible, buy your Mac online and get 3 YEAR AppleCare.

But be prepared to stand your case (spending at least 20 minutes on the phone) to get upgrade from 1 YEAR AppleCare to 3 YEAR AppleCare.

Good luck! Most of us deserve it anyways.

Was bumping a dead thread no one cares about really necessary?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.