Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
Lacero said:
http://money.cnn.com/2005/07/22/technology/personaltech/apple_mac/index.htm

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Apple may be gearing up to unveil a new slate of mini-Macs and may also release updated versions of its popular iBook laptop computers as early as next Tuesday, according to unconfirmed reports on a Web site that tracks Apple.

Would be nice for many if it were true but for a news service to give the source as "a website that tracks Apple" is like saying "according to Uncle Jeffrey who bakes scones for the local Bowls Team,"

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
So this is another "next tuesday" rumor. How many of these do we need? :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Since even the rumors crowd think that most of the changes are going to be in the refresh category, isn't it strange that CNN is picking this up? If CNN ran a story like this on Dell or HP, they would need to do one basically on a weekly basis....

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
mkrishnan said:
Since even the rumors crowd think that most of the changes are going to be in the refresh category, isn't it strange that CNN is picking this up? If CNN ran a story like this on Dell or HP, they would need to do one basically on a weekly basis....
Maybe it's a slow news day?Maybe they've got an Apple fanboy running the news desk? And if they do change to widescreen iBooks that isn't a refresh.
Slightly off topic wasn't it CNN that picked up the Intel rumour? Or was that CNET? You Yanks and your weird news channels - what's wrong with naming it after a favourite family member? ;)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Nickygoat said:
Slightly off topic wasn't it CNN that picked up the Intel rumour? Or was that CNET? You Yanks and your weird news channels - what's wrong with naming it after a favourite family member? ;)

Well, if it is widescreen iBooks, that would be exciting. Hopefully one of them will still be substantially under 5lbs, and not much bigger than the current 12" though.

IIRC, C|Net (which is a computer tech news source only; CNN is the big general news agency) and the Wall Street Journal were the big guns that confirmed the Mactel rumor.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
mkrishnan said:
IIRC, C|Net (which is a computer tech news source only; CNN is the big general news agency) and the Wall Street Journal were the big guns that confirmed the Mactel rumor.
I know what CNN is :p . You just have too many acronyms. Why can't you do like here - Auntie (BBC - all), the one no-one watches (ITV), the one the the right wing hates (Channel 4) and the one no-one can receive (Channel 5)?
But is reporting what a website says, a rumor site at that, worthy of news? However important that might be in our little world?
I used to watch CNN in Saudi Arabia - what a pile of dog mess :eek:

crap freakboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
nar in Gainsborough, me duck
Nickygoat said:
I know what CNN is :p . You just have too many acronyms. Why can't you do like here - Auntie (BBC - all), the one no-one watches (ITV), the one the the right wing hates (Channel 4) and the one no-one can receive (Channel 5)?
But is reporting what a website says, a rumor site at that, worthy of news? However important that might be in our little world?
I used to watch CNN in Saudi Arabia - what a pile of dog mess :eek:

Don't go pulling any punches m8. :D

qzak

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
cooknwitha said:
Would be nice for many if it were true but for a news service to give the source as "a website that tracks Apple" is like saying "according to Uncle Jeffrey who bakes scones for the local Bowls Team,"

if you click on the link and actually read it, you'll see the very next line is "The Web site Think Secret reported three new Mac mini and two new iBook part numbers have appeared in Apple's retail database, indicating that new models are imminent."

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
qzak said:
if you click on the link and actually read it, you'll see the very next line is "The Web site Think Secret reported three new Mac mini and two new iBook part numbers have appeared in Apple's retail database, indicating that new models are imminent."

Yep, that's correct. So in that respect, this isn't anything new, or more proof - it's just one source quoting another source we already knew about. ;)

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
Nickygoat said:

heh due, thanks for that..surprisingly, i've never read that before.. :confused: :)

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Are the iBook updates supposed to be complete redesigns because of the widescreen or are they just putting a widescreen into the current case style and modify accordingly? :eek:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
rockthecasbah said:
Are the iBook updates supposed to be complete redesigns because of the widescreen or are they just putting a widescreen into the current case style and modify accordingly? :eek:

I think that if Apple puts a widescreen into the iBook, that inherently requires a "redesign", if that's the term we're using. I don't know if widescreens would work too well in the existing design, but I could be wrong...

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
We will just have to wait and see if this has any substance. Does this mean that CNN could become the new Think Secret, although you had better watch out.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
~Shard~ said:
Thanks asif786! Harvey Birdman was a classic, and he may return at some point, but for now it's my "Pirate Finder". :cool:

Yeah I saw the 'tar and was like, man who's 'tar is that, then jumped when I saw your name. I mean, wow, you hardly ever change your 'tar.

It's good that they stand out enough for me to notice right away though.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
well it MUST be true if CNN is reporting it!!! lets see, CNN got the info from ThnkSecret, who got the info from Apple Insider who got it from MacRumors who got it from, well we all know where that info comes from! heh. oh well, hopefully since this rumor is making it to such a reputible news source that it might actually happen!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.