Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Like many of you, as soon as the MBP with retina display was announced, I ordered the laptop and started emailing vendors to see if they made a sleeve or bag for the rMBP. After searching, I ended up going with Pack and Smooch's Hampshire Sleeve for my rMBP. I have used their sleeve for my previous 11" MBA and my iPhones and I really like their quality.

The sleeve for the rMBP is no different. It is made of high quality wool and tanned leather. It is precisely cut and tailored to the laptop. I really like how clean and simple it is without adding much bulk.

As you can see from the pictures, there is a pocket the width of the sleeve to fit anything from paperwork to pens/pencils, to your iPhone and/or the charger. I prefer to keep mine empty with the exception of a few papers or bills that I might need to take to work.

Now this sleeve is perfect to protect your rMBP from scratches and making it an extra protection if you put it in another bag. It doesn't have drop protection but I don't think many sleeves do anyways.

This should last me a long time since my 11" sleeve protected my laptop well until I sold it and I still use the iPhone sleeves for both my wife's and my iPhone 4S.

I tried my best to attach decent pictures but checkout the website for better pics and other colors available.

http://www.pack-smooch.com/en/shop/apple-laptop-sleeve-air-hampshire

let me know if you guys have any questions

Attachments

• 394C2966-1.jpg
    394C2966-1.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 1,621
  • 394C2967-1.jpg
    394C2967-1.jpg
    492 KB · Views: 1,183
  • 394C2968-1.jpg
    394C2968-1.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 1,052
  • 394C2969-1.jpg
    394C2969-1.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 1,091

zerotiu

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Like many of you, as soon as the MBP with retina display was announced, I ordered the laptop and started emailing vendors to see if they made a sleeve or bag for the rMBP. After searching, I ended up going with Pack and Smooch's Hampshire Sleeve for my rMBP. I have used their sleeve for my previous 11" MBA and my iPhones and I really like their quality.

The sleeve for the rMBP is no different. It is made of high quality wool and tanned leather. It is precisely cut and tailored to the laptop. I really like how clean and simple it is without adding much bulk.

As you can see from the pictures, there is a pocket the width of the sleeve to fit anything from paperwork to pens/pencils, to your iPhone and/or the charger. I prefer to keep mine empty with the exception of a few papers or bills that I might need to take to work.

Now this sleeve is perfect to protect your rMBP from scratches and making it an extra protection if you put it in another bag. It doesn't have drop protection but I don't think many sleeves do anyways.

This should last me a long time since my 11" sleeve protected my laptop well until I sold it and I still use the iPhone sleeves for both my wife's and my iPhone 4S.

I tried my best to attach decent pictures but checkout the website for better pics and other colors available.

http://www.pack-smooch.com/en/shop/apple-laptop-sleeve-air-hampshire

let me know if you guys have any questions

They don't provide the weight information. Is it possible for you to weigh the sleeve? Thanks alot!

Hippocrates

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
This is the nicest looking (and probably the most well-made) sleeve I've seen, but it's too expensive!!

Is there any promotional or discount coupon that I can use? If not I'll probably go for ColcaSac (http://www.colcasac.com/macbook-sleeve/) which is half the price of the offering from Pack Smooch :)

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
This is the nicest looking (and probably the most well-made) sleeve I've seen, but it's too expensive!!

Is there any promotional or discount coupon that I can use? If not I'll probably go for ColcaSac (http://www.colcasac.com/macbook-sleeve/) which is half the price of the offering from Pack Smooch :)

I agree and I love how it has no zips which get in the way and scratch things...

the colcasac looks very good, quite organic which I like, however I'm sceptical about all that fluffily material attracting dust and making its way into the (newly design and wider) vents. Also they don't seem to be any uk suppler of this. Also velcro is prone to getting bit stuck in it.

... Maybe it would be easy to make your own like the pack-smooch?

Sheppard

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2012
Kent, UK
I agree and I love how it has no zips which get in the way and scratch things...

the colcasac looks very good, quite organic which I like, however I'm sceptical about all that fluffily material attracting dust and making its way into the (newly design and wider) vents. Also they don't seem to be any uk suppler of this.

The only place I found that sold ANY is GearZap.

Only two of them but I was thinking of either of these anyway.

timeslip

macrumors member
May 20, 2007
I would avoid ColcaSac like the plague. I bought one originally for my 13" MBA, and the fitment was poor. It was too snug, so that the sleeve ended up getting creased on one side. I complained and they sent me another one, which ended up being way too big (like it was for a regular 13" MB). They sent me a third, and again there was fitment issues.

I finally asked for a refund, and because it was past 30 days from all of the shipping back and forth, it took another 30 days to refund me via a check. I had to call back at least 3x in order to get a refund, as they kept forgetting to process it.

BeyondMountains

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
I would avoid ColcaSac like the plague. I bought one originally for my 13" MBA, and the fitment was poor. It was too snug, so that the sleeve ended up getting creased on one side. I complained and they sent me another one, which ended up being way too big (like it was for a regular 13" MB). They sent me a third, and again there was fitment issues.

I finally asked for a refund, and because it was past 30 days from all of the shipping back and forth, it took another 30 days to refund me via a check. I had to call back at least 3x in order to get a refund, as they kept forgetting to process it.

two replacements and a refund is pretty good, you just made me more confident in my purchase.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
To me, the leather on that looks tacky and overall it looks very old fashioned. There are a lot of other cases on Etsy that look a lot better if you like the wool look (I'm not a fan).

I bought a Colcasac as a 'you'll never know a macbook is in here' type case for traveling. I'm very pleased with it. The fit is snug and perfect.

timeslip

macrumors member
May 20, 2007
two replacements and a refund is pretty good, you just made me more confident in my purchase.

Pretty good? I didn't get to keep the sleeves, I had to return each one before they would send a replacement each time. All in all, I didn't get my money back till after at least 60 days from original purchase. In the end, I had to look for another solution.

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
They don't provide the weight information. Is it possible for you to weigh the sleeve? Thanks alot!

I don't have a scale that can measure ounces but I compared it to my iPhone and it's the same or a little lighter. so basically about 4-5 oz.

----------

I also considered ColcaSac for my previous macbooks but I didn't like the material inside because of the possible lint issues getting in the notebook vents or screen. Protection was also not as good as the Pack and Smooch one here.

To me, the leather on that looks tacky and overall it looks very old fashioned. There are a lot of other cases on Etsy that look a lot better if you like the wool look (I'm not a fan).

I bought a Colcasac as a 'you'll never know a macbook is in here' type case for traveling. I'm very pleased with it. The fit is snug and perfect.

I guess it's all about personal preference. I think it's a classy look and reminds me of those jackets with elbow pads (probably why you feel it's old fashioned). The leather is great because it gives the sleeve good grip when holding it.

zerotiu

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
I don't have a scale that can measure ounces but I compared it to my iPhone and it's the same or a little lighter. so basically about 4-5 oz.

then if it is compared with colcasac, it is also 4-5 oz. lighter. Thanks! I bring many things in my bag, so 4-5 oz is noticable :p

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I
I guess it's all about personal preference. I think it's a classy look and reminds me of those jackets with elbow pads (probably why you feel it's old fashioned). The leather is great because it gives the sleeve good grip when holding it.

It reminds me of those too... my first thought is someone raided their grandfather's closet and tore his suit apart to make a sleeve for their macbook :)

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I find ColcaSac the perfect sleeve, plus it doesn't scream "look at me, i'm an expensive laptop!" and that's an added layer of protection from possible theft.

That is one reason I bought it. If I have it in my bag, its not very obvious its a laptop. At the airport, I can pass it through the X-ray machine and it won't be in a bin sitting there saying 'look at me'.

Now that isn't to say that someone wouldn't figure out its a laptop or what not but at least its not totally obvious.

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Yeah, here is a description:
- Ugly
- Not splashproof
- Not robust
- Not easy to clean

No, thanks!

I use the Belkin sleeves (and no, no other Belkin products):
http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=399437

In terms of looks, it's all personal opinion. I really like the look. I feel neoprene sleeve can be functional but cheap looking.
I don't need splashproof. Robust? It's definitely robust enough for most people's needs and just or more robust than a neoprene sleeve.
easy to clean? have you used one? I've never had trouble even with my iPhone case that's used daily.

Last edited:

thalff

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
My ColcaSac just came in yesterday and it seems great so far. I have had one for my iPad for over a year now and have had no issues with it. I was a bit nervous when I first put my rMBP in it as it was quite a tight fit but just after one day of use it is already loosened up. Definitely recommend!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.