Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fish21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
Hi all,

First off, I know that you can sync your mac, iPad, iPhone, etc through iCloud, but I'm thinking my situation isn't fit for the cloud. Let me explain...

I'm a musician and use an application similar to Garageband called Ableton Live on my Mac. I used to primarily use a Macbook pro (15in early 2011) but have since now bought a Macbook Air (13in mid 2011). My goal here is to keep both laptops and use the 15in Macbook Pro as a desktop (have a thunderbolt display hooked up to it) and use my recently purchased Macbook Air when I'm not at my desk (ie. lounging in bed working).

With that said, is there a way for me to be able to have an Ableton Live project I've created on one computer somehow be seen or recognized on the other computer via some type of home sharing network?

(example: if I start creating a project on my Macbook Air and want to finish it on my Macbook Pro, is there a way I can get my Macbook Pro to retrieve the project?).

Emailing it isn't always an option because more often than not, the file size can quickly become too large to email. I'd also assume that a portable external HD would work as well by plugging it into the computer where the project was created and then plugging it into the other one but was hoping there'd be an easier way.

I'm familiar with the "term" home sharing network, I'm just not that affluent with it's capabilities. I know things like iTunes songs can be seen on other peoples computers on the same network but what I'd like to be able to do is literally "pull" (for lack of better words) a music file from one computer to another wirelessly.

Hope I described what I'd like to do here in enough detail and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Just share the folder where the files are on your main machine...Then you can drag the file over when you need it.

You set what level of access you want from the same screen.

Attachments

• Share.png
    Share.png
    85 KB · Views: 62

utahman130

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2012
Yep :) if you are using Lion then find the folder where the application stores it's projects and airdrop it over. If you are using below Lion, go to System Preferences>Sharing and check the File Sharing box and write down the web address it gives you. Next, navigate to wherever your app stores your projects and click on it, and push Command I. Then check the sharing box, navigate to the web address that you got in System Preferences, and ou have the file on your other MacBook :D

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I share my iMac files with my MBP and MBA for just the reason the OP states..Sometimes I'm propped up in bed and need a file....Just drag it over. It's wise to password protect the share too.

I also share 3 of my Pegasus drives over the network too...Works a treat.

fish21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
Awesome! Works perfect and makes life that much easier! Thanks so much guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.