Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
I probably have gone through the most iPhone 4S's anyone has ever gone through lol. I've had about 10 through March-May before calling it quits. Long story short, my mom wants one after she knows I had so many issues. Mostly cosmetic defects. I fear she will get a defective 4S when she purchases it this weekend. Waiting for the next iPhone is not important to her as she loves the 4/4S design.

Issues I've had with the iPhone 4S manufactured between Jan an April 2012:

*Defective vibrator inside
*Squeaky bottom right corner (when pressure was applied)
*Loose home buttons, along with crooked home button. You can press down lightly and turn your finger and the square would move. Did this out of the box.
*Excessive light bleeding
*Loose piece inside. Every time you turned the device you can hear it moving.

Some of the replacements had a couple of these issues at once. I couldn't find a problem free iPhone.

So my question is, has anyone RECENTLY purchased an iPhone with any of the above issues?

I'll wait on the iPhone 6 this October myself, but mom is another story.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Wow, tough luck there. I bought mine in April (unlocked) and mine has no issues that you mentioned.

Well what you can do is have your mom buy the phone, if she finds it defective she has a 30 day Return/Exchange period for a brand new one. Don't go to the genius bar to get it replaced. Simply ask the salesperson that she wants to exchange the device because of the problem.

This is what I did. I bought an unlocked iphone in April. Of course didn't have any issues but the yellow tint was driving me nuts, so few days after the purchase, I took the box and the phone back and asked for an exchange. They gave me a brand new one and didn't have any yellow tint.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
That is quite unusual. I preordered my 4S and have had none of the issues you mentioned.

I also pre-ordered the 4S, but sold it back in March. Problem free. Then I decided to go the Apple route again only to experience that disaster.

Leet Apple

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2009
Canada
i thought i was the only one who had a 4S that didn't vibrate, got it replaced the next day lol

in all honesty my 4th Replacement iPhone 4S doesn't have any issues

romiebleed

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2011
johannesburg
I had none of these issues in my 3 months old iphone 4s... Very Strange that you had to change 10 of them and every time you had issues... bad luck bro...

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
The only issue I've consistently had is static coming from the earpiece during phone calls... not enough to make me go to the apple store to swap though. But I got mine in November maybe its still an issue

iRetired

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2012
WNY
I bought my 4S on 2/7/12 brand new at an AT&T corporate store and have had zero problems, cosmetic or otherwise. Did you purchase yours at an Apple store, an AT&T corporate store or online through some retailer like Wirefly or Amazon?

Two or three replacements I can believe. But 10? Wow - I don't want to go car-shopping with you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.