Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Denzo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
Australia
Hi guys,

im a long time Apple customer, and always upgrade to the latest adn greatest from our Californian friends.

This is more of a rant, so please stop reading now if your not in the mood for one.

I went in the day the MacBook Pro Retinas released and asked about purchasing one, and unfortunately they had sold out. I spoke with a supervisor who was very nice and helpful, and told me they will be getting stock in the morning. I explained that I work early, dont live close and wont be able to come in, but we'll see how I go.

Next day my mum god bless her was shopping in the city (Sydney Australia), and went into the Apple store and enquired. I sent her an SMS with the exact requirements and she found a sales rep in the store to deal with. The guy tells her "yes we have them in stock", so she calls him in front of me, and the guy confirms everything and tells me to come in.

So i hot step it out and into the car, being there in the next 20 mins, and park at good old Queen Victoria Building for $40.

I walk in see my mum, and I see the guy from last night, he apporaches me and asks If Im back for the Pro, and I act all giddy and and say yes. Then he looks at me and says, we dont have any?

Luckily, my mum was still holding the business card the other sales person gave her who said they do have them.

I was pretty pissed off, and understandably so. I just left work, paid $40 in parking, $5 in tolls plus some petrol and time, only to be misled by some idiot who had nothing better to do.

The guy I had seen the night before was very pleasant, and gets the manager. The guy comes over and introduces himself, and has a sort of cocky attitude about the whole situation. I explain that I came in on good advice from his employees,a nd only to find out there were no MacBook Pro Retinas when my mum asked him.

He then goes on about absolute garbage and asks if I am sure my mum didnt ask about the air. Very funny at this point. I then ask why the slaes rep who told us porkies doesnt come over and apologize. The sales manager then ahs the nerve to say there is no point in having a confrontation as this will not help a MacBook Pro appear.

I said to the guy "look, Im a grown man im not some 15 yo kid, and if you check my user ID, you will see that I am a very good customer of Apple". Infact I have spent so much of my hard earned on Apple goods its not funny - iMacs, iPhones, Macbook, Macbook Pros, iTouch, iPods, iPads, you name it. I have it. So I suggest considering the major inconvenience to me bought about by the lackluster employee, and my loyalty to the brand, he throw in a case when they do come in, considering I am already out a little bit myself. This is only fair.

The sales guy looks shocked as if I asked him for a damn kidney.. and I asked myself, Ive spent over $20K on Apple products, and for this? To be treated like an idiot?

The guy says he cant make that decision on the spot ( I could not believe this, like cmon guys a crappy little $40 case). He promises he will call me back. I give him my details, and he calls me back on a saturday. I was participating in a sports event, so I called him back in 30 mins. Not a bad turn around Id say.

I got the messsage bank,left a message with him and never heard back from him. Its been a couple of weeks now I think or almost.

Anyways, I wanted to say that spending on these products is fun, and they are great products, but being cocky and disrespectful to the people who make the brand what it is, is just plain bad service.

I know some might say that demand outstrips supply - thats fine - just dont forget who put you there - the very people buying all your products.

Apple this is definitely a coaching moment for the sales manager how to handle mistakes like that.

And maybe this is a learning experience for me. It appears some of the screens were faulty anyway, and maybe Ill get something else. No skin off anyones back, but maybe I should stick with Windows, albeit cheaper hardware, since that apparently is what I deserve.

Yes I am very dissappointed and really have always had good experiences up until now at the city Sydney store.

I originally posted this on the Apple forum, but it was taken down within about 15 minutes! Now thats service!

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
It's a new in demand product, you are one of many people who want it yesterday. These things sell out quickly. The only thing you didn't do correctly was offer to pay above the list price. :p (sarcasm alert)

Maybe you'll just have to wait a bit longer to have your new computer. You'll get it eventually. :)

'Bmac

macrumors regular
I'm just shocked at the rude store employees. Nice to your face but they still give you the run around. In my eyes, that is just plain rude! Which there is NO reason for them to be. Why can't they just be honest and NOT lye about it. Telling you one thing and your Mum another. TO me something is just NOT adding up. Very dishonest. Shame on you Apple store in Sydney! :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.