Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
I went to the Apple store today to check out if the scroll lag I was reading about was something I should worry about.

Surprise: I couldn't create any scroll lag.

I had gone to Facebook (which was supposed to be the worst for the rMBP) - to the page of a photographer, plenty of images, but I did not experience any scroll lag.

Other than that: I loved the screen (it really blows you away if you don't fasten the seat belt -provided by the Apple Store), the sleek design, the whole, handsome package.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I literally sat there for 20 minutes messing with the screen resolution to see if I could get lag, and I got zero

tomtom2234

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2010
New Orleans
Thanks for posting! Was really getting a little worried when I read there was some scrolling lag. Can't wait to get mine in and see. Hopefully I get the same results as you!

sireShonBohn

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
It's not just scrolling. Don't you just love how people latch onto one small part of the problem, walk into an Apple store, and then think they've miraculous discovered that everyone who owns one was wrong? I own the rMBP and I'm typing on it now and it has pretty annoying levels of GUI animation stutter... It's annoying because I bought a Mac partially for the flawless experience. I still have a scroll stutter in Safari, especially when using the touchpad. It looks like *smooth scrolling* is the issue. Scrolling with a mouse wheel seems to work pretty well, because it's not a smooth scroll. I hope that ML fixes this issue as I will use my laptop on the go a lot.

One weird thing I noticed. Minimizing windows to the App icon produces less animation stutter than minimizing to the right hand part of the doc.

In case you're wondering about my authenticity as a user:

ScreenShot2012-06-27at84842PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

korbearus10

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2012
California
I received my rMBP today and I have to say there definitely is a scroll lag. Not enough to annoy me, but enough to confirm what everyone has been saying. Please stop chocking it up to trolls making something out of nothing. It's even been confirmed by the reputable Anand Shimpi at Anandtech in his recent review of rMBP.

And if you don't find the lag, I would think it's because you haven't been to the right site (AKA you're doing it wrong). Bring one home for a day or two and really try it on lot of sites and compare it to your old windows or MacBook laptop.

Last edited:

KingArthurVI

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
Penang, Malaysia
Weird that someone is downvoting everyone who said there isn't any scroll lag. Upvoted.

On a side note, my rMBP is arriving tomorrow so I'm really excited, hope mine is already pre-updated with the scroll lag patch and I don't have to download 1GB of updates :D

Office Hours

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2010
There IS scroll lag on web browsing even after the update. I posted a thread on some Chrome settings that eliminates this on probably 90% of the sites you visit. I don't know why people ignore the "issue" but I'm also pretty sure that's software and not hardware.

Zeov

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2011
Odense
it's gotten to a point where i don't trust anyone but myself.. i guess i have to wait till mine arrives.

bengriffin

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
I too was skeptical, but can now concur that there is a definite choppiness in the scrolling in Safari, at least in my rudimentary tests at the Apple store.

I also found that the rMBP struggled to transition in and out of full-screen apps. I tried every rMBP they had in the store, all with the same results. Curiously enough I was able to replicate the choppy full-screen transition on the non-retina MBP's as well, which led to me believe that it is indeed a software problem, and not due to the retina display.

Good news is, its already been reported that Mt Lion remedies these issues, so let's just hope that its true!

sireShonBohn

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
I'm not seeing any lag in Chrome or Safari.

I'm really enjoying this rMBP.

Maybe I should make a video of the lag comparing the iMac sitting across from me to my rMBP, because I can assure you there is a huge difference in the smoothness of the GUI animations.

Vegasboricua702

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
I've uploaded two videos showing the scrolling of the Apple.com Store page on (1) rMBP and on (2) HP g6 i5 sandy bridge laptop.

First, the youtube video of the rMBP

And the youtube video of the HP g6

It might not be the best demonstration, but it's something I came up with in the last 5 minutes.

Something very minimal IMHO. I deal with more scroll lag on my iPhone 4 than the MBPR could ever deal me.

sireShonBohn

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
I've uploaded two videos showing the scrolling of the Apple.com Store page on (1) rMBP and on (2) HP g6 i5 sandy bridge laptop.

First, the youtube video of the rMBP

And the youtube video of the HP g6

It might not be the best demonstration, but it's something I came up with in the last 5 minutes.

Thank you!

----------

Something very minimal IMHO. I deal with more scroll lag on my iPhone 4 than the MBPR could ever deal me.

Is this an alternate universe where an iPhone = a Macbook Pro??? I honestly can't believe you just compared your iPhone 4 to the brand new rMBP "best computer we've ever made".

Last edited:

sireShonBohn

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
Good posts: don't feed the "it lags" trolls.

I expect the best from Apple and received less than that. Even my iPad 2 scrolls better than the rMBP. I know Apple can make this right, and I predict they will, but pretending it's not an issue is an insult.

Last edited:

King Shady

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2010
San Jose, CA
I own the 8GB/ 2.6Ghz model, and yes Safari does lag a little bit while scrolling. If you don't believe me or the others who are posting their concerns with this issue, then you should go read Anand's review where he talks about the fps he is getting while scrolling through websites and such. He also said that with Mountain Lion and the new version of Safari, he gets about a 10fps performance increase while browsing. So the scrolling lag IS there and it IS noticeable.

j1999t

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
Colorado
I have had mine since tuesday. I have been using it every second i can. There is no scroll lag. Right now i am only using the integrated GPU with gfxcardstatus (trying out battery life (43% & 3:41 remaining) and i am using Chrome Canary. I havent had any scroll lag in any application at all...

on another note, the istat pro widget shows all my temps below 90 degrees Fahrenheight

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
Scroll lag is most evident when you've scaled up the resolution to something other than the default 1440x900. In the default res it's pretty good but you can definitely see it in the two higher resolutions. Hoping optimizations with the software can address this fully as I prefer 1680x1050 like my previous high-res matte display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.