Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2011
I have got my new iPhone 4S for about two weeks. I noticed several times that the battery went down about 20% overnight (around 8 hours) while it was in the airplane mode.

This happened either when the battery was fully charged or when it was partially full. This also happened even when I made sure that the only app that was running in the background was an alarm app while the phone was in the airplane mode.

Why did the phone use so much battery while it was in the airplane mode with only an alarm app running in the background?

Thanks in advance for answers!

oneapplegeek

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
I have got my new iPhone 4S for about two weeks. I noticed several times that the battery went down about 20% overnight (around 8 hours) while it was in the airplane mode.

This happened either when the battery was fully charged or when it was partially full. This also happened even when I made sure that the only app that was running in the background was an alarm app while the phone was in the airplane mode.

Why did the phone use so much battery while it was in the airplane mode with only an alarm app running in the background?

Thanks in advance for answers!

that sounds very unusual..

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2011
I sent the phone to an Apple Authorized Service Provider. They kept it for observation. I may get it back within 48 hours.

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Sounds like a faulty battery, esp with airplane mode turned on.

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2011
The Apple Authorized Service Provider called and told me that they could not find any problems with the hardware.

They said that they put my iPhone 4S into the airplane mode for more than 2 hours and observed 5-10% drain of the battery, which is consistent with my finding.

They first tried to persuade me to take the phone as it is. After I insisted for an answer for too much drain of the battery, they offered me to replace the battery. Since the phone was precisely on the 14th day of purchase when I brought it to the service provider, I insisted on an exchange. They then said that they had to send the phone back to the factory. When I agreed to sending the phone back to the factory, they backed off and said that they would observe the phone in the airplane mode for 24 hours.

I will call the apple online support when I get access to the serial number of my phone.

I will keep updating this thread till the resolution of the problem. I may start a poll for the battery drain of an iPhone 4S in the airplane mode.

bryannned

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2012
i bought my iphone 30th December 2011.. it seems pretty common to me now (30th June Australia).. im using iPhone 4s too.. mine uses around 10-15% for 8-9 hours overnight as well.. but i didnt use airplane mode.. is mine normal or also a faulty battery? i did many test on my battery and this helped quite alot.. use ur iPhone until battery fully runs out.. use it until the phone turns off, then charge it fully..

turn off all notifications and lower your brightness.. only turn on those important notifications such as whatsapp message phone calls.

when i first bought my phone.. it was insane which uses like 1% per minute.. it was having 3G problem.. it made the iphone very hot (overheating). therefore uses alot of battery..

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.