Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jul 4, 2012, 01:26 PM   #51
khollister
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonblue737 View Post
I have one Apple TV 3 and three Apple TV 2s.

When the Apple TV 2 first came out it dropped frames when down converting 1080p content to 720p but I hear rumors that more recent software updates allow the Apple TV 2 to down convert 1080p to 720p smoothly.

Can anyone speak to how the new Apple TV 3 Handbrake preset performs when played back on an Apple TV 2 (obviously at 720p.)

I would like to begin ripping Blurays at 1080p for future proofing but not at the expense of 3 of my Apple TVs being unable to play it back...

Thanks...
I recall transcoding an AVC (H.264) MKV BD rip to M4V (25GB+) and it played on my old ATV2 fine with the new SW. You should be fine
khollister is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2012, 04:37 PM   #52
andymodem
macrumors 6502a

dynaflash, I have a couple questions.

Any idea why the built in Apple TV 3 preset in the Windows GUI nightly has different options enabled than the OSX nightly build?

Second, is it possible to go back to the old Handbrake GUI on Windows instead of the current WPF GUI?

Thanks!
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:39 PM   #53
WebHead
macrumors member

I tend to avoid the nightly builds due to my (probably irrational) fear of bugs. Is there any disadvantage to using the new ATV3 preset in the official 0.9.6 release rather than a nightly?
WebHead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2012, 08:13 AM   #54
DangerMouseDM
macrumors newbie

ATV Preset - Dealing with Grain

Hi

I have just ripped The Godfather Blu-ray using the ATV3 preset (CF20) and the file size is greater than 20GB.

I expect this is due to the grainy source.

I woud rather not reduce the CF or use the Denoise Filter as I do not want to lose detail.

I do not care about encode time.

Is there a way to retain quality and reduce file size by selecting settings that allow for a longer encode time?

Thanks
DangerMouseDM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2012, 09:50 AM   #55
GarrettL1979
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouseDM View Post
Hi

I have just ripped The Godfather Blu-ray using the ATV3 preset (CF20) and the file size is greater than 20GB.

I expect this is due to the grainy source.

I woud rather not reduce the CF or use the Denoise Filter as I do not want to lose detail.

I do not care about encode time.

Is there a way to retain quality and reduce file size by selecting settings that allow for a longer encode time?

Thanks
I had the same issue with Jurassic Park-- it came in at 18GB. Any advice would be appreciated.
GarrettL1979 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2012, 01:22 PM   #56
vsalupo
macrumors newbie

DVD using AppleTV 3 preset?

Stupid newbie question. Is there any advantage to ripping a DVD with the new setting?

I am just starting to convert my collection. Still have to buy an AppleTV. Should I use preset for AppleTV 2 for DVDs and AppleTV 3 for Blu-Ray?

Assume they will all be played on an AppleTV 3.
vsalupo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2012, 01:44 PM   #57
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsalupo View Post
Stupid newbie question. Is there any advantage to ripping a DVD with the new setting?

I am just starting to convert my collection. Still have to buy an AppleTV. Should I use preset for AppleTV 2 for DVDs and AppleTV 3 for Blu-Ray?

Assume they will all be played on an AppleTV 3.
If you go into handbrake, load a file and compare the aTV2 vs aTV3 preset characteristics, you will see the differences are pretty small. I would use the aTV3 for everything. aTV 2 and aTV3 presets are a minor variants of the High Profile setting which was developed to give maximum quality with minimal file space. Of course, the price to be paid for that wonderful combination is transcode time.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 03:27 PM   #58
CrAkD
macrumors 68030

kind of a newbie question but how come when I rent a movie from itunes or play one on netflix it plays full screen but when I rip a bluray and convert it using handbrake it has the black bars on top and bottom?
Old Jul 8, 2012, 02:35 PM   #59
smoothjazz
macrumors newbie

Strict and Fast Decomb

Quoting DynaFlash from several earlier posts:

"That said and this not an official HB position but imo I have had fantastic luck using fast decomb on *everything*. yes, it might miss a frame or two but in general it rocks as fast as not decomb and I rarely see misses. Again as always .. ymmv.

Fwiw, the error we are talking about is about 2 pixels so its not seismic . That said personally ... I still use this exact same preset but strict. ymmv."

I hope DynaFlash can answer this - if you personally use the new Apple TV3 preset with anamorphic strict - why didn't the preset do this by default? What's the reasoning for the 'loose' setting if you prefer strict? - any reason not to go with strict?

You also state that you leave Decomb Fast turned on for all encodes. Does this apply to Blu-Ray encodes too? I thought Blu-Ray's didn't require any picture filters...?

One more - Does the ATV3 preset also apply to the 'New iPad3' - since it too is a 1080p device? Has anyone compared videos on the new iPad - is it worth it to load 1080p on such a small screen?

Thanks!

Sam
smoothjazz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2012, 02:56 PM   #60
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAkD View Post
kind of a newbie question but how come when I rent a movie from itunes or play one on netflix it plays full screen but when I rip a bluray and convert it using handbrake it has the black bars on top and bottom?
Handbrake renders the images same as source. When you use iTunes or Netflix, the media is sometimes reformatted (enlarged and cropped) to fill the screen. Having the screen filled, appeals to some people, regardless of what it does to the source. Others want what they watch to be as true to the source as possible. You have probably noticed that some dvd's are sold as "widescreen" and "fullscreen" on opposite sides of the dvd.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothjazz View Post
Quoting DynaFlash from several earlier posts:

"That said and this not an official HB position but imo I have had fantastic luck using fast decomb on *everything*. yes, it might miss a frame or two but in general it rocks as fast as not decomb and I rarely see misses. Again as always .. ymmv.

Fwiw, the error we are talking about is about 2 pixels so its not seismic . That said personally ... I still use this exact same preset but strict. ymmv."

I hope DynaFlash can answer this - if you personally use the new Apple TV3 preset with anamorphic strict - why didn't the preset do this by default? What's the reasoning for the 'loose' setting if you prefer strict? - any reason not to go with strict?

You also state that you leave Decomb Fast turned on for all encodes. Does this apply to Blu-Ray encodes too? I thought Blu-Ray's didn't require any picture filters...?

One more - Does the ATV3 preset also apply to the 'New iPad3' - since it too is a 1080p device? Has anyone compared videos on the new iPad - is it worth it to load 1080p on such a small screen?

Thanks!

Sam
My understanding is that "loose" makes the output compatible with a wider variety of playback units but an occasional transcode made yield artifacts using this mode. Of course, "strict" would be the opposite of that.

As for the filter, leaving it on all the time does not have any impact on encode time or file size/quality. It only kicks in when HB analysis determines that it is needed. So for BR's, it would not come on.

Can't speak to the iPad3 question, as I do not have one.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:35 AM   #61
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
My understanding is that "loose" makes the output compatible with a wider variety of playback units but an occasional transcode made yield artifacts using this mode. Of course, "strict" would be the opposite of that.
Well true but like I said previously, we decided to go with Loose Mod 2 as once the small bug is fixed in hb and loose works perfectly, strict is going to probably be removed as its the same as Loose Mod 2 and therefore redundant. So sense in having a preset out there that has a mode that is going to be gone at some point.

Quote:
As for the filter, leaving it on all the time does not have any impact on encode time or file size/quality. It only kicks in when HB analysis determines that it is needed. So for BR's, it would not come on.
In general thats the gist of it. On progressive sources there is virtually no speed hit as neither blending or deinterlacing kicks in. That said remember there *is* a speed hit using default decomb even on progressive sources as it uses a more resource intensive detection algorithm. Speeding it up is on the list of things to do.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymodem View Post
Any idea why the built in Apple TV 3 preset in the Windows GUI nightly has different options enabled than the OSX nightly build?
Not sure as I have been gone for a while, I can check with the wingui dev to see what differences there are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymodem View Post
Second, is it possible to go back to the old Handbrake GUI on Windows instead of the current WPF GUI?
Same, dunno though the wingui is matched to its cli counterpart as far as versions.Therein lies the difference between the wingui and the other two (macgui and lingui).
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:44 AM   #62
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaflash View Post
Well true but like I said previously, we decided to go with Loose Mod 2 as once the small bug is fixed in hb and loose works perfectly, strict is going to probably be removed as its the same as Loose Mod 2 and therefore redundant. So sense in having a preset out there that has a mode that is going to be gone at some point.

In general thats the gist of it. On progressive sources there is virtually no speed hit as neither blending or deinterlacing kicks in. That said remember there *is* a speed hit using default decomb even on progressive sources as it uses a more resource intensive detection algorithm. Speeding it up is on the list of things to do.[COLOR="#808080"]
Thanks for the clarifications.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 05:57 PM   #63
WebHead
macrumors member

Reposting in the hope of an answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebHead View Post
I tend to avoid the nightly builds due to my (probably irrational) fear of bugs. Is there any disadvantage to using the new ATV3 preset in the official 0.9.6 release rather than a nightly?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 06:13 PM   #64
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Reposting in the hope of an answer:
Using 0.9.6 is no way to get over an irrational fear! Go ahead...take the plunge. Make life a little edgier!!

Seriously though, the only difference I see is the NB has framerate same as source capped at 30fps while the regular build would be set to same as source with no cap. Of course, the NB has the ability to handle BR PGS subtitles and 0.9.6 doesn't. You will not see a quality/file size difference between them.

And if you don't believe me, try a 10 minute encode from the middle of a movie you are interested in, using each version and compare the results.

Be brave!!!
Old Jul 9, 2012, 07:05 PM   #65
WebHead
macrumors member

Thanks for the encouragement! WTH, might as well take the plunge ...
Old Jul 9, 2012, 07:08 PM   #66
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement! WTH, might as well take the plunge ...
As a little more encouragement...I have been using the NB since release and have not had any problems. Good luck!!!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:29 AM   #67
WebHead
macrumors member

Thank you, I'm sure my fears will be proven irrational!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:27 AM   #68
smoothjazz
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies - starting to understand this stuff.

Does the ATV3 preset also apply to the 'New iPad3' - since it too is a 1080p device? Has anyone compared videos on the new iPad - is it worth it to load 1080p on such a small screen?

If not - which preset/mods would you use for the iPad3?

Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:32 PM   #69
GavinHope
macrumors newbie

atv3 preset and general question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaflash View Post
Well, paraphrasing what you can read in the commit notes, basically its faster (instead of decomb default it uses decomb fast *see the update to it which fixes what I borked in the first commit *) and it caps max framerate (via the pfr framerate) at 30 (which the Hi Profile preset doesn't do) so it complies with the published max of 30 fps for the appletv 3 for sources that my have higher framerates.
Hey all, I've just started ripping my DVD collection, so I've got a bunch of questions. Ended up here because the primary target is Apple TV 3...

1) I've got the latest release, 0.9.6, so I've done a bunch of rips on the High Profile setting. As dynaflash said, there aren't many differences from the high setting...
(a) has the code changed in the nightly build so that the quality is better for atv3, or is it just the preset settings changing? E.g. could I achieve the same output by changing settings in the 0.9.6 build?
(b) the 30 fps cap won't be an issue for DVDs, right?
(c) I haven't seen the atv3 preset yet, but does the NTSC vs. PAL make a difference?

2) Where do I get the nightly from? I've looked at the changesets mentioned... should I go to browse the source then take 0.9.x from the branches branch? Or take from the trunk?

3) General question. My plasma is fairly old school. It was the first Pioneer with HDMI input, 720p... With the DVD rips I've done, and say, some films rented from iTunes, I get occasional white-flickr. Don't get it on Netflix via the atv3.

Same DVD rips via atv3 on a smaller, newer panel (~22") have no flickr.
Is that just because the plasma is old and isn't handling the file format so well? No problems with that, it's an old-ish plasma. Just wondering if I should expect that flicker to go away when I get a new panel?

Thanks for any help,
Gavin
GavinHope is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 04:12 PM   #70
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

ultimately you can use 0.9.6 for right now just fine and mimick the nightlies atv 3 preset. I have a post somewhere giving the details but in general its the same as the hi profile preset .

For dvd's the resolution isn't even an issue since dvd's are 480p max by definition. Frankly for dvd's I would just use 0.9.6 s atv 2 preset. it will basically give you the same.

For the nightlies here you go: https://build.handbrake.fr/view/Nightlies/

Edit: please note that about 4 am in france the nightly will include a newer version of libav. This has been tested by devs a *lot* but there are no guarantees that there will not be some issues. libav is the fork of ffmpeg that HB uses to decode most of the sources that HB can decode (read). So use it at your own risk.

https://trac.handbrake.fr/changeset/4825

Last edited by dynaflash; Jul 11, 2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:09 PM   #71
smoothjazz
macrumors newbie

Are you referring to using the new nightly at our own risk? What is the actual build number of the one you are referring too?

Any comment on my question about the iPad 3?

Thanks.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:18 PM   #72
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothjazz View Post
Are you referring to using the new nightly at our own risk? What is the actual build number of the one you are referring too?
No, this nightly has not been generated yet. Grab it now if you can, the new one gets auto generated as I said about 4 am french time. I would use the one from today until we figure out if there are any glitches from the new one that will be generated next ( 'tomorrow' if your in the u.s.).

iPad3 preset is now an updated iPad 2 preset as there really wasn't much to mess with really. a bump in resolution iirc. I was not in charge of that one.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:15 PM   #73
CrAkD
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Handbrake renders the images same as source. When you use iTunes or Netflix, the media is sometimes reformatted (enlarged and cropped) to fill the screen. Having the screen filled, appeals to some people, regardless of what it does to the source. Others want what they watch to be as true to the source as possible. You have probably noticed that some dvd's are sold as "widescreen" and "fullscreen" on opposite sides of the dvd.[COLOR="#808080"]
Yeah I know about wide screen and full screen I just found it peculiar that itunes and netflix made sure it was full screen on something that was obviously shot in widescreen. but It doesnt bother me really I actually kinda like it better on my 58" Plasma.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:31 PM   #74
hipnetic
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAkD View Post
Yeah I know about wide screen and full screen I just found it peculiar that itunes and netflix made sure it was full screen on something that was obviously shot in widescreen. but It doesnt bother me really I actually kinda like it better on my 58" Plasma.
I'm curious...can you give me the names of a few iTunes movies that completely fill your 16:9 screen? I'd be a little bit surprised (and disappointed) if Apple was cropping wider movies so that they completely filled a 16:9 screen.
hipnetic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:52 PM   #75
CrAkD
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipnetic View Post
I'm curious...can you give me the names of a few iTunes movies that completely fill your 16:9 screen? I'd be a little bit surprised (and disappointed) if Apple was cropping wider movies so that they completely filled a 16:9 screen.
most recently clerks 2.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater