Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:11 AM   #1
hajime
macrumors 68000

Can I really use LINE (Naver) to make free international phone calls?

Hi, I heard that one could use the app called LINE to make free international phone calls. Anybody has experience with this app? Can I call people's home phone number for free? What is the catch? I read that I have to enter my phone number and name as part of the registration. If everything is free, then I don't have to top up my sim card or change the sim card whenever I move to another country. Thanks.
hajime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:30 AM   #2
KJmoon117
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajime View Post
Hi, I heard that one could use the app called LINE to make free international phone calls. Anybody has experience with this app? Can I call people's home phone number for free? What is the catch? I read that I have to enter my phone number and name as part of the registration. If everything is free, then I don't have to top up my sim card or change the sim card whenever I move to another country. Thanks.
I think you can only make those calls/messages with people with the LINE app :P

It's pretty much Naver's competition to Kakaotalk. You're better off using Skype and buying Skype credits if you aren't in the Korean/Japanese community.
KJmoon117 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:37 AM   #3
hajime
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJmoon117 View Post
You're better off using Skype and buying Skype credits if you aren't in the Korean/Japanese community.
Why?
hajime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:52 AM   #4
KJmoon117
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajime View Post
Why?
Because a lot of non-Koreans/Japanese never even heard of Naver/Kakaotalk let alone LINE. Only people that I know who uses Kakaotalk (not LINE even) are Korean Americans from my school and my friends (both Korean and non Korean) back in Korea.

Skype is an app/program that a lot of people have and can be integrated with Facebook. Plus, with a little bit if money, it allows you to text/call internationally or domestically to landline/cellphones without Skype, which is something LINE can't do (that I'm aware of).
KJmoon117 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone