Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Five and a half years ago, a company by the name of Axiotron unveiled the Modbook, a MacBook that had been converted into a pen-based tablet by repackaging the internals into a new casing to yield the one-piece tablet form factor. Two years later, Axiotron introduced the Modbook Pro based on a similar concept, but delays in delivering its products ultimately led Axiotron to fade away.

Earlier this year, one of Axiotron's founders returned with a new company carrying the Modbook name, and today the company is announcing the new generation of Modbook Pro products.
Built from a unique enclosure conversion kit, the Modbook Pro incorporates and completely encases the original hardware of a new Apple MacBook Pro 13.3-inch base system. Its Wacom digitizer delivers 512 levels of pen pressure sensitivity -- more than any other tablet computer on the market. And its ForceGlass screen provides an etched, paper-emulating drawing surface.

The result is a sleek tablet computer run by a powerful Mac base system, with a highly sensitive pen interface and a natural drawing surface, all fused into one device you can take with you and use anywhere.
modbook_pro_2012.jpg

The Modbook Pro components connect to the original MacBook Pro through one of its two USB 3.0 ports, with the entire assembly being enclosed in a new casing for an integrated OS X-based tablet solution that also supports Windows 7.

The Modbook Pro is scheduled to launch in "early fall 2012", with pricing and retail partners yet to be announced.

Article Link: New Pen-Based 'Modbook Pro' Tablet Launching in Early Fall

MDomino

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
And how are you supposed to type on this thing? Will you always have to connect a keyboard?

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I like the fact it doesn't modify the Mac itself.

Oops. Spoke too soon.

http://www.modbook.com/modbookpro said:
Construction of the Modbook Pro requires permanent removal of the base system’s enclosure, including the display (with the FaceTime® camera) and the keyboard/trackpad assembly. Hard drive, RAM and other configuration options vary and may only be available from specific sales partners.

The Modbook Pro is an enclosure conversion kit designed to exclusively contain an original MacBook Pro base system manufactured by Apple Inc. Apple Inc.’s one-year limited warranty on the base system is voided by the conversion and replaced with Modbook Inc.’s warranty.

What applications are ripe for this device?

Here's what they say:

http://www.modbook.com/modbookpro said:
The Modbook Pro is the only tablet computer with the ability to boot into both OS X and Windows 7, unlocking the whole world of available applications on either platform: Adobe® Photoshop®, Encore® and Premiere® Pro; Autodesk® Sketchbook® Pro and AutoCAD®; Apple Aperture® and Logic® Pro; Corel® Painter™; and many others.

I am sure the folks waiting years for it know, but I sure don't.

The 13" MacBook Pro, and all 2012 non SSD Macbook Pros, are going to be one of those bridge Macs from old to new in this year of forsaking ports, storage systems, and software compatibility.

It looks like they dispose of the display, casing, keyboard, trackpad and install HD, SSD, RAM as needed in the pre-install bare bones system. All ports remain active except one USB3 port which the "accessory" itself uses.

I guess they can buy up MBP units with defective or broken displays to lower their cost.

Rocketman

Last edited:

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Looks great. But this thing is heavy! Cant imagine holding it for a long time.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
This is along the lines of what the iPad should be. I don't want a different operating system. I want a MacOSX/Classic/Rosetta/iOS all in one in the iPad tablet form factor with both finger and pressure sensitive pen.

Apple's really missing out on this one. The iPad is a natural for working with Photoshop and Illustrator. Not the dumb downed crippled versions of drawing software they have for the iPad but the real thing.

ru4real

macrumors member
May 19, 2010
Looks great, and I can really see how this would be a useful device that will fill an existing void in the market.

However, it'll be way too expensive for most people that would otherwise be interested.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Why did they base it on the Macbook Pro and not the Air? It would have been great, especially on the 11" version.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
This is along the lines of what the iPad should be. I don't want a different operating system. I want a MacOSX/Classic/Rosetta/iOS all in one in the iPad tablet form factor with both finger and pressure sensitive pen.

Apple's really missing out on this one. The iPad is a natural for working with Photoshop and Illustrator. Not the dumb downed crippled versions of drawing software they have for the iPad but the real thing.

No, the iPad absolutely should not be this. Its success proves that iOS was the way to go. This is a niche product, and I hope it does well. But this is not a core business Apple wants to be involved in.

Maybe someday Apple will create an optional way to make an ARM-only OS X run on an iPad. But you'll never see a TV commercial for it.

SteveLV702

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
Is this legal? I thought Mac OS couldn't be licensed.

Its not being licensed and doesn't need to be its not like they taking Mac OS X and installing it on a PC or some other hardware... It's Mac OS X installed on Mac hardware..... Its a mac laptop in another case....

----------

How useful is OS X without a keyboard? Really?

pretty sure the digitizer software has a on-screen keyboard...

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Its not being licensed and doesn't need to be its not like they taking Mac OS X and installing it on a PC or some other hardware... It's Mac OS X installed on Mac hardware..... Its a mac laptop in another case....

----------

pretty sure the digitizer software has a on-screen keyboard...

Oh okay! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.