Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JesseW6889

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
My appologies if this is miscategorized, I didn't know where to put it.

I'm interested in if I can use my current iPhone 4 (out of contract) on the Virgin network as a prepaid or if I'd need to buy a new phone from them to do so.

Any thoughts or comments? I realize it'd have to be a Sprint network compatable phone, but other than that, could I?

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY

I'm interested in if I can use my current iPhone 4 (out of contract) on the Virgin network as a prepaid or if I'd need to buy a new phone from them to do so.

Any thoughts or comments? I realize it'd have to be a Sprint network compatable phone, but other than that, could I?

You answered your own question since the 4 isn't compatible with Sprint.

JesseW6889

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
Are they physically different or unlocked or what?

Example situation: I buy the Virgin Mobile phone at full price and start a prepaid account. Two months later, I lose my phone.

Would any phone be compatable (unlocked, jailbroken, whatever) or would I have to buy a new one?

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
Are they physically different or unlocked or what?

Example situation: I buy the Virgin Mobile phone at full price and start a prepaid account. Two months later, I lose my phone.

Would any phone be compatable (unlocked, jailbroken, whatever) or would I have to buy a new one?

Any GSM iPhone will not work with Virgin Mobile. A CDMA iPhone technically could work, but would have to be flashed over.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
WIerd.....

I recently went in to Virgin because I am planning on giving my mom my iP4 (I own the phone now) which used to be on a Telus account. I asked them that if I bring in the soon-to-be unlocked phone (here Virgin is a subsidiary of Bell) if I can hook it up on Virgin.

They said no problems. No activation fee, no contract and even though she will own the phone, her bill will still have a percentage go to the "tab" so if in a couple of years she wants to upgrade, she can.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Things seem so much more difficult in the states.

I thought customer service was key over there !

In the Uk as long as your phone is unlocked you can join whatever network you like.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago

Virgin have just started to support the iPhone in the US. I'm not sure exactly how this works, but see the thread on the front page for more detail. In the UK Virgin as yet will have nothing at all to do with the iPhone....I have broadband from them, and considered changing from O2 to them, but they simply stated that they did not sell or support the iPhone. Things seem to be changing though, perhaps contacting them would be your best move.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I'm gathering no one actually knows...

There is hope!

It's pretty simple:

1. you need an unlocked phone. (doesn't matter if it's an iPhone, droid or a dumbphone). So know what phone you want to put on the network and know if it's not locked to a network. Since virgin uses sprint, there is a small possibility if this is a sprint iPhone that you might not have to have it unlocked.

2. It has to be a CDMA phone (virgin mobile uses sprint towers).

3. Phone needs run on the following frequencies.

800 MHz Sprint Nextel 2G iDEN
800 MHz Sprint Nextel 4G LTE (in 2014)
1900 MHz Sprint Nextel 2G CDMA/1xRTT
1900 MHz Sprint Nextel 3G Ev-DO Rev.0&A
1900 MHz Sprint Nextel 4G LTE (July 15, 2012)

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I'm gathering no one actually knows...

There is hope!

It's very clear.

By policy, Virgin Mobile USA does not allow you to "bring your own" device.

There's no technical reason for that to be the case.

----------

Flashed over? WTF?

As long as it has the correct CDMA frequencies there is nothing to change.

You can "flash" a CDMA device to make it look like a different one, usually a cheap phone from the carrier you want to move to (in this case Virgin Mobile).

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
So it's kind of in the GSM world like spoofing an IMEI number.

Is it legal and is it possible with an iPhone?

It's very clear.

----------

You can "flash" a CDMA device to make it look like a different one, usually a cheap phone from the carrier you want to move to (in this case Virgin Mobile).

JesseW6889

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
It's very clear.

Can you cite this? Or is this just something you know?

Don't mean that to sound aggressive, just trying to figure out if you know or if you're making an assumption (with good intentions.)

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
TS ask at the Virgin Mobile store or rep it's the best way to go being that it was only started a couple days ago. if they say yes get their name and maybe in writing. they will allow you to use it or they won't it's that simple. ;)

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
You can't bring your own phone. Sprint is offering this plan to fulfill their multibillion dollar iPhone commitment

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.