Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this month, we noted that Microsoft was making a major push into the living room, seeking to use its Xbox hardware as the hub for new streaming video content and a "SmartGlass" app for various platforms that will allow two-way Airplay-like wireless streaming between devices and an Xbox connected to a television.

Bloomberg now reports that Microsoft is also making a substantial push on the music side, talking to labels about launching a hybrid music service that would offer both iTunes-like downloads and Spotify-like streaming content.
The Redmond, Washington-based software maker is in talks with major record companies for the needed rights, and plans to begin service later this year, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the discussions aren't complete.

By combining the best features of competing services, Microsoft seeks to build a digital product that lets customers consume music any way they like. The maker of the Xbox console is building the new music business after its unsuccessful effort with the Zune service, which will close and move customers to Xbox Music, the company said on its website.
xbox_music_banner.jpg

Microsoft's music service will reportedly also include a digital locker similar in some respects to iTunes Match, allowing users to host their entire music collections in the cloud for access from multiple devices. Talks with labels are still underway, and Microsoft may yet find itself unable to obtain all of the rights it is seeking, but it is clear that the company is once again working hard to compete with Apple in the digital media arena.

Article Link: Microsoft's Xbox Music Service to Include Streaming, Downloads, and Cloud Storage?

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
Late to the game, but it will be interesting to see what they are ultimately able to offer.

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
I'll stick with match as i don't own anything microsoft.

Would be nice to actually have information about it other than they plan to release something.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
This will work out wonderfully for all 100 people who own an Xbox AND MS Surface AND Windows 8 phones AND wants to jump to a new ecosystem within the next 7-8 months.

Dionte

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Detroit
I will search all the major music stores before I buy a song, whoever has it for 99 cents is the winner.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I will search all the major music stores before I buy a song, whoever has it for 99 cents is the winner.

Is eMusic.com available in the US? While they lack a lot of big-name artists, they're a lot cheaper than that. I'm paying 36c per track.

(That said, you can't just buy just 1 song from them. You have to to buy a monthly package and if you don't use the downloads, you lose them. Still, you can cancel after you've downloaded your month's worth).

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
Likely. If Microsoft supports the iOS as a controller, and I don't see why not, it would be a nice feature for people who only have an iPhone as an Apple thingy.

That would be great if they brought a Zune Pass type service to iOS. I ditched my Zune because 2 devices became annoying quickly, but their interface and price plan was excellent. 10 downloads (to keep) and unlimited streaming for $10 (I think it was $10, may have been $15) was a great deal. I'm happy with Rhapsody at the moment, but I'd definitely give MS's app/service a try if it comes to iOS.

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
So is it fair to say we are looking at:

1. Apple Ecosystem
2. Google Ecosystem
3. Microsoft Ecosystem?

Yep, but there is always a way to make them all play together...I use an Android phone but still buy songs via iTunes on my iMac. I then use google Music Manager to stream them to my Android device. If I ever go back to Apple for my smartphone, iTunes will be already set up.

Is anyone else getting tired of the word "ecosystem"?

emvath

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
As long as it works better than iTunes match (which should be extremely easy) I may give it a shot.

techsmith

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2011

1. Apple Ecosystem
2. Google Ecosystem
3. Microsoft Ecosystem?
4. Amazon Ecosystem

I think the Apple ecosystem is a major reason that people stick with Apple, so it makes sense that others are trying to copy it. I won't lie; I've been very tempted by what I've seen in the pipeline from Windows Phone, Blackberry 10 (it actually looks quite good and everyone I know who has a Playbook loves it), Windows 8, etc. Everyone is putting up their A game! But I just can't imagine giving up my Mac or my iPhone because they are just great products that work so perfectly together! Since I used to carry a Palm Pilot in 2000 I've been trying to find a way to keep my mail, addresses, etc. in sync between devices and Apple has got this down to a science and has taken it much further by keeping music, photos, notes, to do lists, etc. in sync. They've had this down for years via iTunes sync, and now have done even better by keeping everything in sync via the cloud.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

1. Apple Ecosystem
2. Google Ecosystem
3. Microsoft Ecosystem?

You forgot Amazon ecosystem.

I think this the short reality, and the fact is people don't use the iTunes ecosystem b/c it's Apple. They use it b/c they use Apple products. And the longer they use Apple products, and buy from the iTunes ecosystem it makes it that much harder to move to another platform, even if the others make less expensive h/w or have one or two better features. At this point a "me too" product won't cut it. It's going to take either something revolutionary or a colossal Apple stumble.

I suspect all of these formats will survive but they'll never de-throne Apple at this rate.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Would be nice to actually have information about it other than they plan to release something.
Ditto!
So much tech news these days is companies just unveiling vague things. They're not releasing new products, they're not selling anything to the public, they're just feeding the tech media a line about "Look at this toy we've made that might be a product some day. Feel free to blog about it with months of speculation so we get some free advertising in the lead up to whenever we decide to sell something or not."
This is what we got with Google Glass, with Microsoft Surface (the one from a few weeks ago AND the table-top computer from 2007), with Nintendo's Wii U, and even with Apple and their slow releases of "previews" of Lion and Mountain Lion.
I remember the Microsoft releasing their first video of the Kinect in mid 2009 with Peter Molyneux saying explicitly, "And this technology works now. Today." And then they didn't actually release the thing until some time late 2010, and it worked almost nothing like promised with all the facial recognition and the taking pictures of your skateboard and being able to interact emotionally with a character on screen.
Call me cynical, but after being jerked around by so many teasers of great things to come and so much speculation to gush over and so little information on tech specs, pricing, availability, compatibility, or even release dates, I can't help but take "news" like this with a grain of salt.

CorComp

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2012
Microsoft are still playing catchup and trying to compete in areas already well established.

Microsoft have lost their mojo, they need to innovate like Apple did with the iPad, iPod and iTunes.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I clicked on my bookmark for MacRumors and wound up on Engadget? I know.. I know.. downvote this for me being snarky. I can take it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.