Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeSchulenberg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2012
Hi,

I have a new SSD drive on the way that I'm going to replace the HDD in my MBP 13 with. I don't have an external drive enclosure or a cable. I'm thinking about swapping the drives out, then using Lion Recovery Disk Assistant to do a fresh Lion install with the help of a USB drive.

Will Lion Recovery running from a USB drive be able to format the SSD? I understand that it can repair a disk using Disk Utility, but I haven't been able to find out whether the formatting of a brand new drive is also handled.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Hi,

I have a new SSD drive on the way that I'm going to replace the HDD in my MBP 13 with. I don't have an external drive enclosure or a cable. I'm thinking about swapping the drives out, then using Lion Recovery Disk Assistant to do a fresh Lion install with the help of a USB drive.

Will Lion Recovery running from a USB drive be able to format the SSD? I understand that it can repair a disk using Disk Utility, but I haven't been able to find out whether the formatting of a brand new drive is also handled.

Yes. Disk Utility from Lion Recovery will allow you to format a drive prior to running the OS installation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.