Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illu

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Okay, so I first noticed there was a problem when I would try to listen to my music on my iPhone 4 in the metro and notice in horror that all of my songs were gone. This happened to me 3-4 times already and had no idea why. Today I think I found out what is happening.

I have about 1.5 GB left in my 16 GB iPhone 4. This morning I saw an update for SSFIV Volt which is a huge game. I tap on the update button and enter my password. Nothing happens for about 30 seconds. I return to the home screen and notice that the app is not updating. So I go into the Music app and into the "Songs" tab and scroll all the way down. Out of the 150+ songs I normally have, only 54 were left!

So what I think happens is that when the iPhone is running out of disk space for an app update, it automatically deletes some of your songs to make space... If find this pretty unbelievable. Has this happened to any of you? How do you tell your iPhone to not mess with your songs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.