Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nishioka

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
On my Windows desktop I am used to being able to lock it immediately using Windows+L when I step away from the desk.

I did some Googling this morning and see that the similar shortcut in OS X is Control + Shift + Eject (http://osxdaily.com/2011/01/17/lock-screen-mac/). The problem is, I am on a Retina MacBook Pro and don't have an eject button. :mad::D

Has anyone found an alternative way to do this on a Retina MacBook?

Thanks.

nishioka

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
Get "Hands Off" from the app store. You can choose your own combinations.

When I search for "hands off" in the Mac App Store I get 0 results back.

I ended up creating a hot corner and using that instead - seems to be working fine so I'll stick with that. Thanks though :)

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I literally just went to lock my screen and noticed there is no eject button anymore! Totally having the same problem and don't know what the keyboard shortcut is anymore.

Anybody figure this out?

EDIT: The best thing I have figured out so far is to set up a custom gesture with the free application BetterTouchTool. The cool thing is you can combine it with keyboard modifiers such as the command key, option key, etc., so that you will only put the display to sleep when you try to.

Last edited:

mschirrmeister

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
Locking the screen on the new MacBooks with the Retina display is more or less the same.
Instead of the Eject button, you now use the Power button.

Shift + Control + Power should lock you screen.
That’s what works for me here on my machine.

Marco

Tonsko

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
I ended up making a little AppleScript, and turned it into an application, gave it an icon on the dock.

Code:
tell application "Terminal"
         do script "/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu\\ Extras/User.menu/Contents/Resources/CGSession -suspend"
end tell

(This is on SL, so the locations might have changed. HTH.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.