Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buckers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Anglesey, UK
Hi guys!

Just dusted off my Mac and thought I'd reinstall it to Mac OS 9, because of all the interesting things I'd been hearing about the Classilla browser. All is fine and dandy, but I can't upgrade to 9.1, 9.2 or 9.4, or install iTunes 2, because Apple has removed all the legacy software from their site. (They're listed, but when I I click 'Download', I get 404'd). Has anyone got any links? :-S (Or an alternative to iTunes)

BlackFalcon448

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2011
Hi guys!

Just dusted off my Mac and thought I'd reinstall it to Mac OS 9, because of all the interesting things I'd been hearing about the Classilla browser. All is fine and dandy, but I can't upgrade to 9.1, 9.2 or 9.4, or install iTunes 2, because Apple has removed all the legacy software from their site. (They're listed, but when I I click 'Download', I get 404'd). Has anyone got any links? :-S (Or an alternative to iTunes)

Mac OS 9 isn't free as of today, so you can't download it anywhere legally. Not really sure why Apple removed all their old legacy software, but I've used this CNET download link in the past, it's a .sit and it matches what Apple used to offer from what I can remember

http://download.cnet.com/Apple-iTunes-Classic/3000-2141_4-10053490.html

EDIT: You can also check http://macintoshgarden.org/ for a lot of old mac software that should work with OS 9

Last edited:

Major.Robto

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
It might be free from there, but it doesn't mean its legal.

pac

If macintosh garden is so popular apple would know about it, Right?

Now so why have they not taken legal action.

1, OS9 is way to old to even fight for, (talking about 9 oss ago) Funny eh?
2, Its legal where I am to pirate

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
If macintosh garden is so popular apple would know about it, Right?

Now so why have they not taken legal action.

1, OS9 is way to old to even fight for, (talking about 9 oss ago) Funny eh?
2, Its legal where I am to pirate

1, so if you have a 9 year old car and I stole it, would you not fight to get it back?
2, pirating is illegal everywhere.

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro
It might be free from there, but it doesn't mean its legal.

pac

That's the way it goes with abandonware. By a strict reading of law, it's piracy; pragmatically, it's a gray area, even for the most litigious IP lawyer. Since all pre-Darwin platforms are obsolete and the economic pontential of the software is nil, Apple has absolutely no vested interested in defending its copyright for that software. If it were someone selling copies, it would be a different matter. Recent events have shown us just how jealously Apple protects its IP. If they had a problem with a site hosting old versions of its software, they would've long ago received a C&D.

Major.Robto

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
1, so if you have a 9 year old car and I stole it, would you not fight to get it back?
2, pirating is illegal everywhere.

How is stealing the car the same as downloding a file?
The orginal is one in tact and its just a digital file its ment to be coppied,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.