Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ndl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2012
I am thinking about getting Final Cut Pro X because I used iMovie for a while and think I should move on to something higher level but I'm not sure if it will run well enough to be used. I am concerned it would lag too much to make it a useful option for editing. My computer specs are below. Can you let me know if you think it would work and if not, why. Thanks.

24" iMac (Early 2008 Model)
Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro
VRAM (total): 256 MB

Version of Mac OS X: 10.7.4 (Mountain Lion)

will waters

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
Great Britain
Should work ok

I run it occasionally on my macbook 2008, and a work colleague uses it on his (slightly older) 24" iMAc and it runs fine, however if you are worried, look at getting a copy from other sources first, and if this works fine, then go ahead and buy it

Will

* forgot about the free trial, use this to try it out!!

Last edited:

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
I am thinking about getting Final Cut Pro X because I used iMovie for a while and think I should move on to something higher level but I'm not sure if it will run well enough to be used. I am concerned it would lag too much to make it a useful option for editing. My computer specs are below. Can you let me know if you think it would work and if not, why. Thanks.

24" iMac (Early 2008 Model)
Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro
VRAM (total): 256 MB

Version of Mac OS X: 10.7.4 (Mountain Lion)

If you add an esata port (very easy with low cost) as a scratch disk for your media files and another 4GB ram about 30$ both,you should be fine with high compressed HD projects (for example*.mov media).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.