Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackslc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Hey guys, I recently upgraded my MacBook's memory to 500GB, which means it's time for a new external for Time Machine backup. My only requirements are that it's something reliable that I'll be able to use for this computer as well as my next (since I may be getting a new one within the next two years). I know things get tough transferring data between hard drives (experiencing that now trying to load some of my old stuff onto my new drive), so if there's any type in particular that works best for transferring, please let me know.

I'm looking at 1TB Western Digital models right now, trying to keep the price range around $100 if possible, but I wouldn't mind spending a little more if it means not having to worry about buying a new one for a few more years. Thanks in advance for the help.

TheGdog

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
North Carolina, USA
Hey guys, I recently upgraded my MacBook's memory to 500GB, which means it's time for a new external for Time Machine backup. My only requirements are that it's something reliable that I'll be able to use for this computer as well as my next (since I may be getting a new one within the next two years). I know things get tough transferring data between hard drives (experiencing that now trying to load some of my old stuff onto my new drive), so if there's any type in particular that works best for transferring, please let me know.

I'm looking at 1TB Western Digital models right now, trying to keep the price range around $100 if possible, but I wouldn't mind spending a little more if it means not having to worry about buying a new one for a few more years. Thanks in advance for the help.

I am a big fan of OWC (http://www.macsales.com) drives, they have great drives and support. Just ordered an SSD from them, can't wait. I own a Mercury on the go pro drive and its great. I have been heavily using it for over a year now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.