Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Is there anyway to disable Safari from showing mobile/tablet sites? There's nothing I hate more than going to a website and not seeing the desktop version. Sure many times the site will have a link to a desktop version, but there are some sites that pull up a tablet version and don't easily let you view in desktop form. I know on my old crap Android phone there was a browser setting that allowed you to disable mobile sites. Does Safari or iOS have anything similar?

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Is there anyway to disable Safari from showing mobile/tablet sites? There's nothing I hate more than going to a website and not seeing the desktop version. Sure many times the site will have a link to a desktop version, but there are some sites that pull up a tablet version and don't easily let you view in desktop form. I know on my old crap Android phone there was a browser setting that allowed you to disable mobile sites. Does Safari or iOS have anything similar?

Safari does not. You can JB and download user agent faker. Or you can download another browser with an UAF built in. I know Atomic has one.

nw9

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Is there anyway to disable Safari from showing mobile/tablet sites?
That is one major feature missing from iPhone's Safari that I want. I want to be able to toggle between the mobile version and the desktop version. Some sites do have good mobile versions while others do not. Other times I like using the mobile version because it's quicker to load and uses less download data since I have the smaller internet data plan.

The problem is that I have to switch to the desktop version to be able to use certain features of the websites so it would be nice to have a quick toggle back and forth switch.

Chrome has an option called "Request Desktop Site" that mimics the user agent string of Safari on Mac OS X.
Chrome does but from the few times I've used it, it doesn't seem to switch to the desktop version reliably every time I've tried it. Atomic browser has been the only browser I've used that I've been able to consistently and reliably get the desktop versions of websites. It also does have a fairly quick way to switch back and forth between the two versions.

Last edited:

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Atomic browser has been the only browser I've used that I've been able to consistently and reliably get the desktop versions of websites. It also does have a fairly quick way to switch back and forth between the two versions.

I use this too. It works very well.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll check out some other browsers. Hopefully Apple will add this feature in iOS 6. The fact Safari doesn't have it but other browsers in the app store do (or don't take you to a mobile site in the first place) is ridiculous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.