Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:53 PM   #1
lazer155
macrumors regular

Need Help Finding an Application (OCR Scanning Application?)

I'm looking for an application to help me organize about 500 printed pages that I have. I need a way to scan them all onto my iMac and at the same time assign a number to each one in the corner or some place on the page. I also need the scanned documents to be all assembled into a searchable pdf. Does anyone know of an application that can do this? I have a scanner that can bulk scan but I don't have a program that can number and convert all the pages to a searchable pdf. I searched around on google but am not even sure exactly what a program like this would be called so I didn't have much luck.

While searching around, I found a couple OCR applications but not any that numbered scanned documents. I've never used an OCR app before but from what I read it seems that is the type of program I need.

I also have windows 7 in bootcamp so if there aren't any mac programs that do this, I could always use a windows version recommendation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
lazer155 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2012, 06:24 AM   #2
jlc1978
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazer155 View Post
I'm looking for an application to help me organize about 500 printed pages that I have. I need a way to scan them all onto my iMac and at the same time assign a number to each one in the corner or some place on the page. I also need the scanned documents to be all assembled into a searchable pdf. Does anyone know of an application that can do this? I have a scanner that can bulk scan but I don't have a program that can number and convert all the pages to a searchable pdf. I searched around on google but am not even sure exactly what a program like this would be called so I didn't have much luck.
Checkout Vuescan from Hammrick software. It can scan to multipage searchable PDFs. Not sure about page numbers but the developer is great about responding to questions. Plus, it's reasonably priced and is, IMHO, the best scanning utility around.

If it doesn't add page numbers you can add them in Acrobat via the header footer command. Alternatively, vuescan creates text files as well so you could save each page as text (Vuescan lets you create multipage files) and open it in Word, add page numbers, and save as PDF. Not sure if Word creates searchable PDFs and pages that have complex layouts may not convert well.
jlc1978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:48 PM   #3
robgendreau
macrumors 68000

Acrobat X Pro does all that and more.
robgendreau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:05 PM   #4
ELMI0001
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc1978 View Post
Checkout Vuescan from Hammrick software. It can scan to multipage searchable PDFs. Not sure about page numbers but the developer is great about responding to questions. Plus, it's reasonably priced and is, IMHO, the best scanning utility around.

If it doesn't add page numbers you can add them in Acrobat via the header footer command. Alternatively, vuescan creates text files as well so you could save each page as text (Vuescan lets you create multipage files) and open it in Word, add page numbers, and save as PDF. Not sure if Word creates searchable PDFs and pages that have complex layouts may not convert well.
Any updates? I'm looking for something but not excited about spending a bunch on an Adobe product.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:44 PM   #5
JacquesP
macrumors newbie

ExactScan Pro

I think ExactScan Pro is for you. It comes with OCR, and I think you can configure it's digital imprinter to imprint the numbering you want into the scanned image. Hope that helps!

http://exactscan.com - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/exac...ro/id410310670
JacquesP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:01 PM   #6
ELMI0001
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquesP View Post
I think ExactScan Pro is for you. It comes with OCR, and I think you can configure it's digital imprinter to imprint the numbering you want into the scanned image. Hope that helps!

http://exactscan.com - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/exac...ro/id410310670
Can you open a PDF and search the text? That's all I need and have been using Acrobat Pro but it's more than I need.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store