Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Higgs1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
New York City
I just switched from a 13" air to an 11" and noticed the fonts looks really different. At first I thought it was just the sizing and something I'd have to get used to, however that was not the case.

I noticed it a lot on ESPN and on these forums, the fonts just looked off compared to how I'm used to.

Well turns out the problem was in the font book (in applications folder) it had Arial, Times New Roman, & Verdana all set as "do not use / disabled". I turned them all back on & my issues are gone.

Not sure why these popular fonts were disabled, but they weren't on my old laptop where the time machine file came from. Just odd. If you are having an issue with your fonts, take a look and see if they're disabled too.

lannisters4life

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Sydney
I just switched from a 13" air to an 11" and noticed the fonts looks really different. At first I thought it was just the sizing and something I'd have to get used to, however that was not the case.

I noticed it a lot on ESPN and on these forums, the fonts just looked off compared to how I'm used to.

Well turns out the problem was in the font book (in applications folder) it had Arial, Times New Roman, & Verdana all set as "do not use / disabled". I turned them all back on & my issues are gone.

Not sure why these popular fonts were disabled, but they weren't on my old laptop where the time machine file came from. Just odd. If you are having an issue with your fonts, take a look and see if they're disabled too.
Forcing Helvetica over Arial and Verdana would probably be best for everyone :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.