Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mongol

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
The Apple magic mouse seems kinda bad, and it doesn't have a built in batteries?

What's a good mouse?

riptideMBP

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2011
You should probably specify bluetooth vs. wireless, and price range... Anyway, I picked up the Logitech M510 and have been quite happy with it for gaming and general use over the last 1.5 years.

iLikeTurtles!

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
why would u want built in batteries? u cant change em. if u want recharagble, buy rechargable batteries

been using magic mouse for 2 years, love it

Mongol

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
why would u want built in batteries? u cant change em. if u want recharagble, buy rechargable batteries

been using magic mouse for 2 years, love it

How often do you have to recharge the batteries?

Just seems weird to have current hardware use old school batteries.

lockdown571

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2007
I've been looking at this one. It's meant for gamers, but that doesn't really matter. It can used with a usb cable or bluetooth. Some of the reviewers say it works great for the mac and some say it doesn't. I guess that's what amazon's awesome return policy is for.

Mongol

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
You should probably specify bluetooth vs. wireless, and price range... Anyway, I picked up the Logitech M510 and have been quite happy with it for gaming and general use over the last 1.5 years.

I don't mind bluetooth or wired. Price range: less than $100.

wabbit42

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012

On my Magic Mouse at a guess I recharge once every two or three months. I also use the Apple Wireless Keyboard, so I bought Apple's rechargeable batteries +charger which works a treat, as it comes with 6 batteries meaning you always have the two spare :) (unless both run out at the same time.... ;) ).

Also, I don't find the Magic Mouse 'bad', once you get used to it the multitouch gestures make operating the Mac much easier and I don't find it uncomfortable either, over 2 years of use.

children

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
the Logitec m905
Best mouse I've ever used, works on just about any surface, and no lag

LOGITECH__M905.jpg

i bought from here: http://www.logitechshop.com.au/logitech-m905-anywhere-mouse-u.html

of all the things Apple makes, the mighty/magic mouse is imo by far the worst :apple:

Mongol

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
On my Magic Mouse at a guess I recharge once every two or three months. I also use the Apple Wireless Keyboard, so I bought Apple's rechargeable batteries +charger which works a treat, as it comes with 6 batteries meaning you always have the two spare :) (unless both run out at the same time.... ;) ).

Also, I don't find the Magic Mouse 'bad', once you get used to it the multitouch gestures make operating the Mac much easier and I don't find it uncomfortable either, over 2 years of use.

If the battery life is that long, I might just get that then. I just didn't want to carry around a charger or spare batteries.

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
the Logitec m905
Best mouse I've ever used, works on just about any surface, and no lag

i bought from here: http://www.logitechshop.com.au/logitech-m905-anywhere-mouse-u.html

of all the things Apple makes, the mighty/magic mouse is imo by far the worst :apple:

I have the m705. I had the magic mouse before but prolong use made my wrist uncomfortable and after a while just uncomfortable using it. I also had to add an app that would change the sensitivity and area which my fingers would naturally touch and move as I move my mouse.

Last edited:

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
London, The United Kingdom
I know there getting quite old now but that means they can be found at a good price anyway, I love my Logitech Revolution mx pro, simple to install just plug in usb bit and away you go no need to use the cd or download new drivers (like my windows 7 pc had to do)

Attachments

• logitech-mx-revolution2.jpg
    logitech-mx-revolution2.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 501

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
I really like my Razer Mamba 4G. Rechargeable battery, 6400dpi laser sensor so it works on basically any surface other than clear surfaces like glass, has a tangle-free nylon cord and it can be used either wired or wirelessly.

It's not the prettiest thing in the world but it's Mac compatible and it feels very natural and comfortable in the hand (arguably more important than looks for a mouse). It's a bit higher than your budget at $129 though.

The Magic Mouse is pretty but very unergonomic and the sharp edges are irritating. Some people have reported that the aluminum 'pits' where the thumb sits after prolonged use too.

Last edited:

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
I know there getting quite old now but that means they can be found at a good price anyway, I love my Logitech Revolution mx pro, simple to install just plug in usb bit and away you go no need to use the cd or download new drivers (like my windows 7 pc had to do)

I actually thought about buying this but it is $99 vs m705 $49. I do like it has a dock but overall it is just too much clutter for me. Comfort wise, it is awesome.

iLikeTurtles!

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012

old school? there still the standard industry batteries that can be bought ANYWHERE>

why do you think apple sells rechargable double A batteries

id get prob a month worth

Hexiii

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Republic
I've been looking at this one. It's meant for gamers, but that doesn't really matter. It can used with a usb cable or bluetooth. Some of the reviewers say it works great for the mac and some say it doesn't. I guess that's what amazon's awesome return policy is for.

Yes, Orochi is great, however, it is kind of small so it depends whether he wants it for desktop or laptop.

andrewm

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
I've used Kensington and Logitech mice for years and had some mixed experiences: the quality was nice on the models I tried, but I have largish hands and started getting cramps with at least one model. I ended up switching to an Apple Magic mouse a while back, which isn't larger, but I hold it a bit differently.

I'll anticipate some flak for this, but I'm actually becoming a fast convert of the Magic Trackpad. I bought one a year or more ago, used it for a bit, tossed it in the closet, and dug it out recently, and am already developing muscle memory for the multi-touch gestures.

It's not a device I'd recommend for first-person shooters (if I ever dig out an old copy of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, I might not even be able to use the Magic Mouse).

Just my $0.02, though. In own experience, mice, like operating systems or hardware manufacturers, can be a topic of heated debate, and I don't personally support a one-size-fits-all notion for them.

Fortimir

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
Here's my mouse:
X749AAE-2.jpg

As a photographer, when I'm the road the trackpad and a tablet do everything I want.

BUT at home I'm a mouse guy. I think the Magic Mouse is great, but it depends on your preferred style of mousing. Some people like to hold a mouse... like really hold it. Have it fill your hand. Razer has always made my favorite mice with that feel. For general computing, I prefer a very high sensitivity and then to place my wrist on the table and move the mouse with my fingers. The Magic Mouse is designed for this usage. In that case it's great.

And as far as traveling, I think the Magic Mouse also has a great form factor for fitting in accessory pouches and the like.

darwinian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
In R4, more or less
You know, I miss a proper trackball, but most mice still have never solved the horizontal scroll in a way that I find elegant. Vertical scroll wheels are generally clunky for horizontal scrolling, for instance. So for me, Apple had it right with both the mighty mouse and the magic mouse because of their horizontal scrolling features. And as far as I've seen, they're the only company so far to have solved this problem, even outside of a BT mouse.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Have to recommend the Magic Mouse, it was built for OSX and I love all the shortcuts etc. The battery is not a problem, it lasts for ages in my experience.
I even use mine for gaming, however it isn't great for this, you might want something a bit bulkier for gaming with function buttons. But I am happy to use it for some WOW now and then.

Aodhan

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
The Magic Mouse is cool, I have one and love it, but it's pretty dreadful for gaming. For that I use the Logitech Performance MX mouse. It is wireless, sadly it does not use bluetooth, it requires me to use a tiny USB dongle, so that takes up a USB slot. But aside from that, it's great. It also comes with a USB cable you can use to charge the mouse, or to power it if it dies on you.

BlueOcean

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
I'd go with the Logitech mice. I've been using one for years and it's been brilliant.

I don't particularly like recharging and all that nonsense so I have one that takes standard AA batteries. I probably need to change them once a year and I use my iMac heavily every day. I think the most recent version of the mouse I have is the Logitech M705.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.