Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:39 AM   #1
dazzcooney
macrumors newbie

How to tell if my iPad 2 is Refurbished?

Hello,

Please be nice I'm new here and apologies if I've posted this in the wrong section.
My friend has recently bought a iPad 2 from eBay thinking it was brand new as the auction stated it was brand new. We were using eBay uk so we thought the item would be from the UK. But we were surprised to find that over two weeks later it had been shipped from the states. And the code on the back of the box read FC769LL/A RFB IPAD 2 WI-FI 16GB BLACK-USA.
I've typed the code into google and its come back as refurbished, but the box wasnt the usual plain refurbished unit it was a proper iPad 2 box. And I must add the box was not shrink wrapped just had apple stickers holding the sides down. We've contacted the seller he assures me it is brand new, and said the box would have been different. But that code is bugging me and the fact that it was not shrink wrapped. Could anyone help me on this matter or direct me a website where I can check, or should I just pop into my local apple shop. Many thanks in advance for any replies,
dazzcooney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2012, 04:08 PM   #2
Rodster
macrumors 68020

If the iPad 2 serial number starts with DK then it's a refurb. You can do a search on this forum or via Google for the iPad serial number look up.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2012, 04:12 AM   #3
Jmouse
macrumors 6502

Does this apply to the new iPad?
Old Jul 1, 2012, 05:54 AM   #4
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Also, if you JB it and install BatteryDetective, you'll be able to check the cycle count of the battery. If it's over 2-3, then it's surely a refurb.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2012, 07:08 AM   #5
Rodster
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
Also, if you JB it and install BatteryDetective, you'll be able to check the cycle count of the battery. If it's over 2-3, then it's surely a refurb.
Um that is absolutely FALSE

Apple refurbs come with a brand new outer shell, a brand new battery and a 1 year warranty.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 02:38 PM   #6
DutchAmerican
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
Um that is absolutely FALSE

Apple refurbs come with a brand new outer shell, a brand new battery and a 1 year warranty.
Yep true, so it is just like a new one. Also the hardware parts are also checked. Can't find that many people who have problems with a refurb iPad.

What Rodster says is right, when you check the serial number in settings you find the DK letters!
DutchAmerican is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2012, 02:24 PM   #7
dazzcooney
macrumors newbie

Hi ,

Many thanks for all your responses, just to confirm the item is indeed refurbished and the seller on eBay has agreed to refund me. In the end it seems I had to ring apple, as I was going round and round in circles. And they confirmed it, the other poster was indeed correct DK signifys a refurbished unit.
Thanks again,

Darren
dazzcooney is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting