Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
I have finally setup my iPad which for a Type A person as myself is no small feet...the old 80 / 20 rule applies, 80% of the setup was done in 20% of the time but the remaining 20% took forever...

Other than a long string of iPod's this is my first Apple device ever and, as such, I have a few questions...

1. Mail (Yahoo): I am having two problems in that i) it loads extremely slowly (i.e. 15+ minutes for personal folders) and ii) not all the e-mails load (i.e. there is a URL that reads "Load More Messages" which when pressed does not load any messages)...I have checked the settings / setup with Apple and they have no good answers....does anyone here have any ideas?

2. Mail (Exchange): I live in a BlackBerry / Windows world due to corporate policy...change I make in Outlook are reflected almost instantly on my Blackberry...this is not the case between Outlook and my iPad...

For example, in the event that an e-mail is received in Outlook and immediately deleted then the iPad seems to loose track of it and it never gets deleted on my iPad....

Is this normal...any ideas?

3. Printing: I own an HP Network Printer that is neither an e-Printer nor "Air" compliant... is there any way to print from my iPad to my printer that is on the same network...the inability to do so seems to be a major omission...

4. Though I purchased my iPad from Apple it appears as though the shipped a 3G SIM card rather than a 4G SIM cards...any ideas about their return policy?

Thanks for listening and look forward to youranswers.

Joel

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Have no idea about the emails, sorry.

3. Try this:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1293865/

You may want to read through the entire thread for full explanation.

4. Why do you think you have a 3G SIM? If your carrier has no LTE service in your area, then the connection will fall back to 3G. I'd check with your carrier to see of they have LTE in your area.

In any case, if you bought your iPad from Apple, I believe their return period is 14 days. If you bought them from another retailer, then that retailer's return policy applies. You also have a one-year warranty, so if you find that your carrier does have LTE in your area but you aren't getting it, you could contact Apple Care and get your device serviced or replaced.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Night Spring, appreciate the response...

Have no idea about the emails, sorry.

No worries as I think that most of this was sorted...

RE Yahoo: I created an iCloud account and sent 30 e-mails with approximately 50 MB of data / e-mails to it and it synced with my iPad no problem...I have thus concluded that the local Yahoo e-mail carrier / provider (i.e. Rogers Communications in Canada) has horrible infrastructure (which would be nothing new for them)...

RE Exchange: I did some reading on the net and this seems normal so all is good...

3. Try this:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1293865/

You may want to read through the entire thread for full explanation.

Thanks...so the key points appear to be:

i) Printer other than through an ePrinter (which HP makes possible) or an AirPrint printer is a non-starter without setting up a computer as a print server as explained by the above link...

ii) Printer server is a non-starter for me as everyone in my house has laptops and there is no dedicated machines...

Apologies to the Apple fanboys but this is a serious omission...

4. Why do you think you have a 3G SIM? If your carrier has no LTE service in your area, then the connection will fall back to 3G. I'd check with your carrier to see of they have LTE in your area.

The status bar reads 3G rather than 4G / LTE...I called Rogers Communications -- the local carrier -- and they told me that I have a 3G SIM.

In any case, if you bought your iPad from Apple, I believe their return period is 14 days. If you bought them from another retailer, then that retailer's return policy applies. You also have a one-year warranty, so if you find that your carrier does have LTE in your area but you aren't getting it, you could contact Apple Care and get your device serviced or replaced.

Will be getting a new SIM card later this week but, that said, this is frustrating...

++++++++++++++++++++

So now that I have my iPad setup I need to figure out whether it was a worthwhile purchase -- just being honest. I had bought it with the hope that I could use it to connect to the office and work on. I am connecting either via VPN or LogMeIn and find it tough to work on the screen due to the lack of real estate -- even when using an external keyboard. I am at the point where I think that it will be limited to an e-mail, e-reader, mobile movie/music player (gym or traveling) and web browsing device which, based on the price, makes it somewhat costly.

I am thinking that perhaps I should have gotten a MBA or ultrabook...anyways, time will tell and feedback / thoughts are welcome.

Joel

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
So now that I have my iPad setup I need to figure out whether it was a worthwhile purchase -- just being honest. I had bought it with the hope that I could use it to connect to the office and work on. I am connecting either via VPN or LogMeIn and find it tough to work on the screen due to the lack of real estate -- even when using an external keyboard. I am at the point where I think that it will be limited to an e-mail, e-reader, mobile movie/music player (gym or traveling) and web browsing device which, based on the price, makes it somewhat costly.

I am thinking that perhaps I should have gotten a MBA or ultrabook...anyways, time will tell and feedback / thoughts are welcome.

I bought my iPad mainly to use as an ereader plus PDA. It's great for rapidly entering reminders and appointments, no need to wait for a laptop to boot up. I'm also constantly reading, so I have my iPad with me 24/7. But for my work, I use a MacBook Air. In terms of the hours of use, the MBA gets used a lot less -- I can go for days without using it -- but when I need Word or Excel, there's just no other way to do it. I do sometimes write rough drafts on my iPad, but for editing and final formatting of documents, I use the Air or my desktop.

I know some people are able to get their work done on the iPad, and for some type of tasks the iPad is better than a laptop, but I do think for a majority of people, an iPad is a supplementary device, and if you need a portable device for work, you are likely better off with an Air or ultrabook.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
I bought my iPad mainly to use as an ereader plus PDA. It's great for rapidly entering reminders and appointments, no need to wait for a laptop to boot up. I'm also constantly reading, so I have my iPad with me 24/7. But for my work, I use a MacBook Air. In terms of the hours of use, the MBA gets used a lot less -- I can go for days without using it -- but when I need Word or Excel, there's just no other way to do it. I do sometimes write rough drafts on my iPad, but for editing and final formatting of documents, I use the Air or my desktop.

I know some people are able to get their work done on the iPad, and for some type of tasks the iPad is better than a laptop, but I do think for a majority of people, an iPad is a supplementary device, and if you need a portable device for work, you are likely better off with an Air or ultrabook.

Night Spring:

Well said...the only difference / point being that 95%+ of my work is in Excel, Word, etc, which means that for me I am better with a MBA / ultrabook with the iPad essentially serving as an e-mail checker, e-reader, mobile movie/music player (gym or traveling) and web browsing device...

Well, the next decision is whether to get a MBA/MBP (which would mean a move from Windows to OS X, though I will need to use parallels as I have some must use Windows programs for which there are no Mac equivalents) or an Ultrabook and stick with what I know...

Joel

ewilson6

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2006
Microsoft Office

Don't Panic, Microsoft Office is coming to the iPad in October 2012.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Well, the next decision is whether to get a MBA/MBP (which would mean a move from Windows to OS X, though I will need to use parallels as I have some must use Windows programs for which there are no Mac equivalents) or an Ultrabook and stick with what I know...

Get a MBA or MBP, and install Windows with bootcamp. You'll be able to try out Mac OS X, while having Windows there if you need to fall back to it.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Don't Panic, Microsoft Office is coming to the iPad in October 2012.

Though I would not be upset were this to be the case, only time will tell...

Get a MBA or MBP, and install Windows with bootcamp. You'll be able to try out Mac OS X, while having Windows there if you need to fall back to it.

Agreed...the other approach I was thinking of was getting a MBA or MBP and installing Windows using Parallels...

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Agreed...the other approach I was thinking of was getting a MBA or MBP and installing Windows using Parallels...

That will work as well. For me, I like running Windows through bootcamp rather than a virtual machine because it gives me pure Windows, without the distraction of constantly switching between OS X mode and Windows mode -- for example, I don't have to think about whether it is alt-F4 or ctrl-Q to quit an app. But the point is, having a Mac gives you options to run both Windows and OS X. Buy a Windows PC and you are stuck with Windows.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
That will work as well. For me, I like running Windows through bootcamp rather than a virtual machine because it gives me pure Windows, without the distraction of constantly switching between OS X mode and Windows mode -- for example, I don't have to think about whether it is alt-F4 or ctrl-Q to quit an app. But the point is, having a Mac gives you options to run both Windows and OS X. Buy a Windows PC and you are stuck with Windows.

Understood...that said, the issue I *might* have is that I would need/want to be constantly switching back between the two between that which I can do is OS X and that which I must do in Windows...shutting down and rebooting over and over again is not my cup of tea...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.