Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mazstar1980

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
I recently got a new Macbook Air and decided I would use Migration Assistant to transfer data and settings.

Things didn't work out as smoothly – I assumed it would be as simple as mirroring everything I have onto my new machine.

I created my new profile first and then migrated x2 of the same user accounts (accidentally) and Applications. I went to delete those 2 user accounts through system preferences and it was saying "Deleting User Accounts" for ages so I forced quit. The user accounts were gone and I manually deleted the folders (although they had very little data in them anyway).

Short story is that I have used 30GB of data even though my Applications were about 5GB only. My user accounts folder is now saying I have 2GB but checking the folders separately I only have about 400mB max – where is the 1.6GB coming from.

Even when I count all my folders together it does not amount to 29.8GB – probably amounts close to 20GB and even that is too much. I have fixed permissions but that didn't do it.

Is there anyway of fixing this without clean install?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Short story is that I have used 30GB of data even though my Applications were about 5GB only. My user accounts folder is now saying I have 2GB but checking the folders separately I only have about 400mB max – where is the 1.6GB coming from.

Even when I count all my folders together it does not amount to 29.8GB – probably amounts close to 20GB and even that is too much. I have fixed permissions but that didn't do it.
If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
  • Begin by restarting your computer as a first step. This sometimes resolves issues.

• For Time Machine users on notebooks running Lion, space may being consumed by Time Machine local snapshots, which can be disabled.
    OS X Lion: About Time Machine's "local snapshots" on portable Macs

• Check to see if some of the space is being used by your sleepimage file.

• Search with Finder to see if the space is being consumed by a very large file or several large files. Adjust the 50GB in the illustration to whatever size you deem appropriate.
    attachment.php
  • Use OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report, Disk Inventory X, DaisyDisk or GrandPerspective to see how space is being used on your drive. Some of these apps may show more detail than others, so try several.

• Check your drive with Disk Utility: Using Disk Utility to verify or repair disks

• Try re-indexing your drive: Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes
Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.