Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bibyfok

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
France
Hi guys,

I had a MacBook Air since 3 days ago, now that I have a rMBP I noticed that the power nap settings are NOT present:

With other computers you have to do the SMC update and then the option is available.
With the rMBP, there is no SMC update and the setting is not available.

http://cl.ly/3l2o0N1l2z2g3A261w0N

Can you guys confirm me this ?

32KFJ

macrumors regular
May 28, 2012
Austria
powernap only works with SSD's right?

so if I take out my HDD and put in a SSD into my macbook pro it should work...or am i wrong?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

so if I take out my HDD and put in a SSD into my macbook pro it should work...or am i wrong?

no it needs a firmware update for the IEE or whatever its called and its only for the brand new mba and rmbp

---

they took the option of power nap out in the latest update, it was there before

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

It only works with 2012 MBA (as in, does not work in 2011 MBAs) and 2012 RMBP.

So no, i doubt if you replace your spinning disk with SSD that it will work in a regular MBP. I suspect there is additional chipset/firmware smarts to support it.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010

You're wrong. Only MBPr and 2012 MBA

Edit: Beat to the punch.

bibyfok

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
France
It only works with 2012 MBA (as in, does not work in 2011 MBAs) and 2012 RMBP.

So no, i doubt if you replace your spinning disk with SSD that it will work in a regular MBP. I suspect there is additional chipset/firmware smarts to support it.

Wrong: Worked on my Mid2011 MBA.

Howard Ellacott

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2012
United Kingdom
so it works with older models too...

maybe there will be a way to activate the mode like the "trim"-function?

It works with MacBooks that have built in flash storage, not SSD or HDD. "Power Nap requires a Mac notebook with built-in flash storage. May require a firmware update." - from Apple themselves. It works with the older MacBook airs, from when they were refreshed with to have flash, and the retina MacBook Pros. :rolleyes:

32KFJ

macrumors regular
May 28, 2012
Austria
It works with MacBooks that have built in flash storage, not SSD or HDD. "Power Nap requires a Mac notebook with built-in flash storage. May require a firmware update." - from Apple themselves. It works with the older MacBook airs, from when they were refreshed with to have flash, and the retina MacBook Pros. :rolleyes:

i think flash storage and ssd may be the same thing...

but i may also be wrong :)

bibyfok

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
France

It's the same BUT as Apple manufacture it's own SSD device, they can flash the firmware (add new functionality), which is not possible with traditional SSD

Howard Ellacott

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2012
United Kingdom

Flash storage is soldered directly into the laptop, but a SSD is removable. Flash takes up less space inside the machine. Technically they are the same thing, but Power Nap only works with macbooks that have Flash Storage built right in. :(

bibyfok

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
France
Flash storage is soldered directly into the laptop, but a SSD is removable. Flash takes up less space inside the machine. Technically they are the same thing, but Power Nap only works with macbooks that have Flash Storage built right in. :(

Wrong: the chips are on a small board that can be swiped.
SSD means Solid State Drive = drive where chips are. The only difference is the format of the "drive".

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK

It really sucks, it basically makes most of the Macbook pro line unable to get this feature, and surely this is a features pro users would want, not MBA users?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.