Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolostarr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2012
NY
Hi,
I posted this on Apple Discussion forum and recieved no replies for it. I've used MacRumors for the last 3 years with searching posts and have always found helpful tips here. So here is my issue:

I did search for this all over Google and read on many forums as well as Apple and I found answers, did the remedies and I am still having issues.

First, I was running with Snow Leopard, fully updated. (iMac was purchased August 2009 - 21 inch)

I noticed that my mouse, a wireless Microsoft mouse, was going all over the place when I moved it from left to right or bottom to top. It would fly across the screen in all different directions. I took this mouse out and replaced it with the white mighty mouse that came with my iMac and the same issues happened.

So I upgraded to Lion, reset permissions in Disk Utility and tested both mice again. The same issue was happening, no accuracy, cursor flying in opposite direction or acting strange.

It is very hard for me to work on my graphic design commissions with this issue because I need accuracy and most of the time i feel like I am fighting with the mouse. It's very frustrating.

Thank you :)

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
What changed in your setup?

Something is different or causing interference.

I would try a cheap USB cable mouse and see how that works to narrow it down to a port or interference issue.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I assume you did a PRAM reset?

Also do you have a wired mouse you can try?

Something is definitely causing interference somewhere. Are you near an AC? They can cause wacky issues sometimes (but mostly you saw that back in the days with VGA cables since computers near ACs would show static-y screens).

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
If a computer is paired with multiple wireless mice, it can lead to weird symptoms. If one of the mice is hidden somewhere, but is turned on, then it can have buttons pressed or be transmitting from that location. I've read several stories on this forum where exactly that happened. The mouse was still in a bag used to transport the computer, it got turned on, and was pressed against something that triggered a click.

So step 1 is probably going to be, "Unpair the computer from all wireless devices", and start over from scratch. Before that, though, check all the batteries in all the wireless devices.

You can also upen System Profiler.app (located in Utilities folder) and look at which Bluetooth or other wireless devices are connected.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.