Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontlookback82

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
When are iTunes going give us more HD films to purchase in the UK? If they offered more they would definitely have one more customer here.

Wavell

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Essex, UK
it's not iTunes or indeed Apple that you should be remonstrating with here, it's the film studios and their outdated ideas of what constitutes media distribution - they seem to forget it's a global market these days and are still in the "regionalisation" way of thinking.

They'll maybe "get it" one day.. just like the music studios did when it was too late.

dontlookback82

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
it's not iTunes or indeed Apple that you should be remonstrating with here, it's the film studios and their outdated ideas of what constitutes media distribution - they seem to forget it's a global market these days and are still in the "regionalisation" way of thinking.

They'll maybe "get it" one day.. just like the music studios did when it was too late.

I know it's the film companies, however it makes no sense IMO. If it was my films I'd be releasing them on as many formats as possible. I just can't see why in US they have the majority of their films in HD, yet in the UK we have very few.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I know it's the film companies, however it makes no sense IMO. If it was my films I'd be releasing them on as many formats as possible. I just can't see why in US they have the majority of their films in HD, yet in the UK we have very few.

Pricing is another issue. HD films are not Blu-Ray quality, but they are above Blu-Ray prices. Lower distribution and non-existent manufacturing costs could allow a significant reduction in price and still give a bigger profit than physical distribution.

The cost difference between SD and HD films is negligible as they are encoded from the same source, but the price difference is not negligible. A sign that they are asking the price they think the market will take. Although I suspect a lot of it is not wanting to upset the shops where most of their sales currently are.

Wavell

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Essex, UK
... And don't get me started on DRM. Another example of a greedy industry shooting itself in the foot.

dontlookback82

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
Eventually online sales will take over, they just need to give us what we want! In the mean time, thank God for Netflix!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.