Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bangus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2012
Hey guys,

Would love some help here. I have a very old iPod Classic with a flat battery that can't be charged, even turns off after several minutes if plugged in. Apple geniuses can't do anything about it.
In short, the songs I've got on there are the only copies left (long story short, mum threw out my old PC. I now have a different iTunes account)

Is there anyone out there that could offer me some tips to extract these old files out? I am now using a Mac. I am desperate. Tried running around in Perth to Asian repair shops and no one could offer any solutions.

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
+1 for Senuti. It keeps track of what is on your computer and what is on your iPod, so that may help when it suddenly shuts down during the install.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Hey guys,

Would love some help here. I have a very old iPod Classic with a flat battery that can't be charged, even turns off after several minutes if plugged in. Apple geniuses can't do anything about it.
In short, the songs I've got on there are the only copies left (long story short, mum threw out my old PC. I now have a different iTunes account)

Is there anyone out there that could offer me some tips to extract these old files out? I am now using a Mac. I am desperate. Tried running around in Perth to Asian repair shops and no one could offer any solutions.

If it only stays on for a few minutes before shutting off, why not enable disk use when it is on and then use the finder to drag everything off of there before it goes out?

Bangus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2012
Thanks guys, for all the suggestions!
Will sure try it out!

miles01110: Apple geniuses suggested looking for a battery off ebay :(
And I'm a girl that is practically hopeless with repairing things lol how typical!

botwa

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2012
well ehy can't you buy the battery on ebay and them give it to geniuses?

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
well ehy can't you buy the battery on ebay and them give it to geniuses?
Geniuses don't replace iPod batteries, most of which require soldering. Apple has a "battery replacement" service for iPods, but they basically take your iPod with its dead battery and replace it with a refurbished one, and it doesn't include a data transferral service...they expect you to just re-sync the replacement iPod with your iTunes. In the case of the OP, who wants to KEEP her iPod, this wouldn't help.

-- Nathan

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
+1 for Senuti. It keeps track of what is on your computer and what is on your iPod, so that may help when it suddenly shuts down during the install.

unfortunately they are no longer free...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.