Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arnoota

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
My wireless networking needs are relatively simple in that I live in a small apartment and don't do anything special on my network besides connect computers, smartphones and printers. With that said, with one printer, two smart phones and four laptops (one MBA 2012, one MBP and two MBs from around 2009) connected to the network recently and what feels like a more crowded wireless network neighborhood, my Netgear N150 WNR1000 router feels a lot slower than it used to. I'd like to update to a dual band router without spending a lot of money. It seems that older threads suggest non-Apple routers based on performance and value, but now that the new Airport Express is simultaneous dual-band, does everyone still feel the same way? A lot of the routers recommended here sell for at least $120. Are there some other non-Apple routers that are cheaper than the Airport Express that you recommend instead of the AE?

Thanks a lot!

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
In my experience setting these new ones up, they've definitely come along way.
The bands/frequency is not quite as powerful as the Extreme however, it provides very similar networking options; Dual-band, better multicast rating then before, and the radio bands are much stronger - so your signal should strength should not suffer a huge blow when having multiple wireless devices on it and should hold its own against the onslaught of other wireless routers out there.

I think the express is ideal in your situation. I use one as an extender and just to keep signal strength consistent. I like it a lot.

arnoota

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Great, thanks for the response and the comparison of Extreme to Express. Do you prefer the Express to other non-Apple routers?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Are there some other non-Apple routers that are cheaper than the Airport Express that you recommend instead of the AE?"

Why not consider an Apple-refurbished Airport Extreme, as well?

Drew n macs

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
Also bestbuy has refurbished airport extreme and express at a pretty deep discount from retail(120 ish 60 ish). I purchased a airport extreme refurb from best buy online and was able to pick up at a store location. Bestbuy like apple when you buy a refurb it comes in a white box vs retail. Verify model number as both models have minor updates and determine if the updates/price make sense.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Great, thanks for the response and the comparison of Extreme to Express. Do you prefer the Express to other non-Apple routers?

Yes... I have had or tried the time capsule, express, extreme and never had a problem...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.