Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
I'd personally never use something like that...
I seriously doubt anyone would have a "real" need for something like that.

Start storing your stuff in a data cloud if you almost always have internet access... else, just get a "normal" external hard-driver or use TimeCapsule or whatever... anyway, what's the point in having an Air and then having to carry a small piece of brick with your everywhere you go? It's just not right...

Last edited:

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I'd personally never use something like that...
I seriously doubt anyone would have a "real" need for something like that.

Start storing your stuff in a data cloud if you almost always have internet access... else, just het an external hard-driver or use TimeCapsule or whatever... what's the point in having an Air and then having to carry a piece of brick with your everywhere you go? It's just not right...

Amen to that. Which is why I got 512GB for my new MBA :D

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Thats not going to work on the 2012 MBAs, Apple slightly modified the SSD connector, rendering all previous upgrade kits inoperable.

yeah i forgot about that....whats the point of releasing this thing in USB3 when they dont even replacement blades that replace the blades inside the only mba with usb3? foolish.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
yeah i forgot about that....whats the point of releasing this thing in USB3 when they dont even replacement blades that replace the blades inside the only mba with usb3? foolish.

Nothing on that page even hints that they've updated it to USB3...

EDIT: after searching elsewhere on OWC, I found it is actually USB3. As for that, its still a good idea, the standard is moving that direction, and by selling these units with USB3 now, the resulting external drive is ready to connect to anything with USB3 and get a boost in speed.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area

Both the Belkin and Matrox thunderbolt docks have USB 3.0 ports, and I imagine new entries in this product space will too. I can't think of any downside to providing an external enclosure that supports USB 3.0.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
I think the way to go for storage expansion on MacBook Air is to for an enterprising manufacturer to offer an SDXC card with 480 Mbps and up to 2 TB, in a removable, flush-fitting form factor. On some newer Macs, the card reader interface is PCIe, so the speed can be even higher.

I don't know how many gazigabytes can be fit onto so small a form factor, but a simple 64 to 128 GB add-on would be awesome for many Air owners.

hisboyelroy

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Austin, Texas
Agreed. I know there are some USB 3.0 flash drives out there that are pretty small. I've only seen the really small ones in the 32GB or small option right now, but given their size, and that we have 2 USB 3.0 ports on the new MBA's this might be helpful to some.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Agreed. I know there are some USB 3.0 flash drives out there that are pretty small. I've only seen the really small ones in the 32GB or small option right now, but given their size, and that we have 2 USB 3.0 ports on the new MBA's this might be helpful to some.
I mean something 64+ GB that will fit flush in the SD Card slot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.