Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jul 25, 2005, 08:15 PM   #1
Lord Sandwich
macrumors regular

Prevent iPod from mounting on other accounts?

Is there a way to prevent OS X from mounting and/or detecting iPods from certain user accounts? I have fast user switching enabled on my iBook and it's annoying to wake into my wife's account and have it automount my iPod (worse if iTunes is loaded since it'll then lock the iPod to her account).

She has an iPod herself, so I hope there's some sort of volume label-based solution that'll keep our things mutually exclusive.
Lord Sandwich is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 10:31 PM   #2
nagromme
macrumors G5

I only have one iPod, but I THINK you can set the prefs PER IPOD for what happens when you plug it in. You'd have to set those choices for each iPod in each account, but then after that you might be set.

I know when I log in to other accounts on my machine, my iPod doesn't launch iTunes (which it did the first time). It may mount on the desktop, but that's not too harmful.
nagromme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 05:38 AM   #3
Lord Sandwich
macrumors regular

The thing is that if iTunes is loaded, it'll mount any iPod that's connected regardless of whether you've set it to be ignored. If you're switching between user accounts, you can easily get bombarded by annoying error messages stating that "iPod X is in use by another computer".

Edit: grammer.

Last edited by Lord Sandwich; Jul 26, 2005 at 08:27 AM.
Lord Sandwich is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 07:14 AM   #4
Sharewaredemon
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to Sharewaredemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Sandwich
The thing is that if iTunes is loaded, it'll mount any iPod that's connected regardless of whether you've set it to be ignored. If you're switching between user accounts, you can easily get bombarded by annoying error messages stating that "iPod X is is use by another computer".
Yes that is annoying, I'm sorry I can't think of anything to help you there...

other than the mean thing.... get your own computer...

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod