Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buffsteria

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
I've already installed Mac OSX 10.5.8 Leopard, RAM is maxed out...what else can I do to accelerate this Mac? I'm thinking SSD. I wonder if it'll improve a lot?

I just found out about TenFourFox so I'll be replacing Camino with it.

I'm guessing there's no CPU upgrades of any kind?

:apple:

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2011
I've already installed Mac OSX 10.5.8 Leopard, RAM is maxed out...what else can I do to accelerate this Mac? I'm thinking SSD. I wonder if it'll improve a lot?

As far as I know, there are no CPU upgrades for the iBooks or PowerBook G4s. If you've maxed out the RAM, loaded Leopard, installed all of the latest Software Updates from Apple, and use TenFourFox, I think that you've peaked out performance-wise on your iBook. I'm pretty sure the only difference you'll gain from an SSD is a bit faster boot time, faster app launching, and quicker file copying/duplication (i.e. making a duplicate of a file or folder will be much faster with an SSD).

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004

Well, if it's a 12" iBook, you could swap in a 1.2ghz logic board and if it's a 14" iBook you could swap in the 1.2 or a 1.33ghz logic board.

The final revision iBook motherboards would not work in any 1 ghz iBook.

The SSD is an option, but I'd check the specs to make sure.

I have had great luck with my PPC laptops by just getting either the 250gb or 320 gb PATA hard drives. If your iBOok has the original hd, DEFINITELY swap it out, they are slow. I have a few extra new drives if that's interesting to you. Oh and when I would put new hard drives in iBooks, I'd usually also put in a faster better superdrive that burns dvds.

Buffsteria

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
Last edited:

01mggt

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
For sure get an SSD. King Spec makes PATA IDE drives for our old powermacs. I bought a 64gb one and anything disk related is almost instant. However, make sure you don't buy one of the king spec drives with a JMicron controller. The one I bought said SM controller (which is a Samsung) and it has it's on garbage collection built in and stuff so the lack of TRIM support won't be a factor.

Buffsteria

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2012
I'll certainly need a new battery as the original one no longer holds a charge.

I don't know if the $99 battery sold by OWC is any better than the Chinese ones selling on eBay for $20.

MAC MAN JW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Buffalo,Ny

Disable spotlight and dashboard if you don't use them that will free up the ram and cpu.:) you can disable them with onyx (Make sure to download the leopard version) http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010

TenFourFox has taken a major hit in speed since version 8. Not Kaiser's fault, likely has to do with Mozilla's Javascript interpeter. Tenfourfox will be more up to date but you might find Camino zippier.

If you haven't already you also might want to check out Omniweb 5.11. It has a more modern webkit. On Tiger I find it the fastest stable browser. And since you have 10.5 you also have Leopard webkit and even Stainless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.