Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
Hey everyone. I'll start off by saying that I'm totally inexperienced with programming, but a very experienced graphic designer. The situation is that I created an InDesign document for a client that will be going to PDF, however, I'm wanting to create an app out of that document. I'm not expecting it to be interactive, but just to view the PDF file I created, albeit a new PDF document to fit the iPad screen.

Here's the app that I would like to most replicate:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cemex-annual-report-2011/id505254277?mt=8

So there you have it, no frills, just a simple PDF viewer. I'm hoping that there's someone that can show me an easy way of doing this.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
So why an app for this? Just asking...

A possible article with some links that might be useful. http://maniacdev.com/2011/08/open-s...k-magazinebook-apps-with-pdf-files-or-images/

B

Thanks for the link, I'll look into it in a bit.

I'd like t make an app so that the readers (with iPads) of the report will not have to mess with the pdf file and a pdf reader app. It would make it much more simple to provide people the download link for the app. Plus i'd like to be able to have it contained within the single app, and be able to create my own app icon and other assets. And, by the way, I think it would be interesting to learn a bit of app design. :)

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
The users would have to do one of the following:
1. Download from the App Store.
2. Get an ad hoc app from you.
3. Be part of an Enterprise app developer program.

#1 requires you to submit your app to Apple and have it accepted to the App Store. This seems unlikely for a PDF targeted to a specific client.

#2 is more complicated than getting a PDF file with a PDF reader.

#3 costs a couple hundred bucks.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
I'm kinda lost on what an 'app' is... After seeing the link, I'm wondering can every company put their logo into a PDF and make an app out of it?

These seem like they should be more of a power point slide show.

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
I'm kinda lost on what an 'app' is... After seeing the link, I'm wondering can every company put their logo into a PDF and make an app out of it?

These seem like they should be more of a power point slide show.

Yup, depends, if you sell it as a PDF Library downloader with more versions, basically.. yes.
Thing is, 'App' has a very.. strange meaning, since Apple sometimes rejects quite good idea's because of some stupid restrictions but on the other hand accepts 3000x fart apps + 1 page apps who practically do the same.
Therefore i'd rather have a magazine like BMW (which is basically also just a powerpoint with animation (not really true but okay).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.