Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jul 2, 2012, 08:16 AM   #1
xzer0
macrumors newbie

Some questions regarding student pricing and the Barclay card

My mom was approved for the Barclay card (12 months no interest) and ordered an Air without my student discount so we miss out on the gift card promo. She got it without the discount because she (and I) couldn't find a way to sign up for the card through the Apple Education Store; it seems they only offer that RBS Citizens payment plan.

Do they not allow student pricing when you go for the Barclay card?

Once the Air arrives, you think I can go to my local store and either:
A) Get a price adjustment and/or get the $100 iTunes card? (I'd be happy with only getting the iTunes card honestly)

Or

B) exchange the air for another at the discounted rate. It's an 11-inch i5/8gb/128 on the way, if they have an i7/8gb/128 in stock I'd gladly pay the difference. iTunes card would be nice here too. I'm assuming the store would like this cuz they're getting money *shrugs*.
xzer0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 08:20 AM   #2
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzer0 View Post
My mom was approved for the Barclay card (12 months no interest) and ordered an Air without my student discount so we miss out on the gift card promo. She got it without the discount because she (and I) couldn't find a way to sign up for the card through the Apple Education Store; it seems they only offer that RBS Citizens payment plan.

Do they not allow student pricing when you go for the Barclay card?

Once the Air arrives, you think I can go to my local store and either:
A) Get a price adjustment and/or get the $100 iTunes card? (I'd be happy with only getting the iTunes card honestly)

Or

B) exchange the air for another at the discounted rate. It's an 11-inch i5/8gb/128 on the way, if they have an i7/8gb/128 in stock I'd gladly pay the difference. iTunes card would be nice here too. I'm assuming the store would like this cuz they're getting money *shrugs*.
they definitely DO allow the barclays card to be used with the student discount. I'm sure apple will give you the discount if you bring it to the store with proof of purchase and proof of your student id....b.c like you said, you could just returned and repurchase.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 08:21 AM   #3
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

^ That. They do allow you to buy anything in the student store and use that card. You just have to shop the student store.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 09:11 AM   #4
daveishere
macrumors 6502a

I'm sure using a Barclay card will be fine, but in my experience of visiting UK Apple Stores they don't want anything to do with discounted Student/Business rates in store.

The Student Gift Card was automatically added to the basked when i ordered my MBA.
iPad mini 64GB Black & Slate.
daveishere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 09:13 AM   #5
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveishere View Post
I'm sure using a Barclay card will be fine, but in my experience of visiting UK Apple Stores they don't want anything to do with discounted Student/Business rates in store.

The Student Gift Card was automatically added to the basked when i ordered my MBA.
worst case scenario....they do a return and immediately resell it to you
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 08:55 PM   #6
xzer0
macrumors newbie

Okay so I just ended up calling in to change the order and they were able to change my configuration before anything was ever shipped. They took care of the price adjustments on their end without having to touch the barclay card (they said if they cancelled the order the barclay deal would be all messed up). All i have to do to get the iTunes card is fax proof of enrollment for my school and they are going to email me a promo code instead of the physical card.

Apple's customer service is great! My i7/8GB/128 is on the way with the same expected arrival date before any of these changes.
xzer0 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 09:56 PM   #7
rookpsu
macrumors member

I purchased my 2012 MBA on the Barclay card (opened at the time of purchase) w/ student discount. I figured I'd leverage the no-interest financing in the event it took me a month or so to sell my 2011 MBA.

Turns out it only took me 2 days. Card is pretty much already paid off.
rookpsu is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air