Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:32 PM   #1
ibebyi
macrumors member

rMBP vs. cMBP Bootcamp GPU Overclock Potential

So from threads Ive seen here it looks like the GPUs in the retina & non-retina Macbook Pros are identical 650m chips, but are clocked at different frequencies (through a vbios mod done by Apple at factory).

It looks like the GPU clocks for the classic MBP are 775(800?)Mhz core and 1000Mhz memory, while the retina MBP GPU is at 900Mhz core and 1250(?)Mhz memory.

I've also read the forums here that some retina-MBP members have had success with over clocking their 650m's to up to 1000Mhz core, but have not heard similarly from classic MBP owners.

Does this mean achieving a software OC (via MSI afterburner/nvidiainspector/system tools/riva/evga precision) is not possible on the classic 2012 models?

Can anyone shed some light? Thanks a lot
ibebyi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 03:08 PM   #2
pacman7331
macrumors regular

No. Overclocking is also possible on the uMBP.

IMO, overclocking on a laptop is a bad idea. Id only do it on a desktop when its backed up by a custom cooling system. Apple made their own, so I guess its OK by their specs, but doing it myself makes me nervous.

rMBP 2.7/16/512
pacman7331 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 03:35 PM   #3
ibebyi
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman7331 View Post
No. Overclocking is also possible on the uMBP.

IMO, overclocking on a laptop is a bad idea. Id only do it on a desktop when its backed up by a custom cooling system. Apple made their own, so I guess its OK by their specs, but doing it myself makes me nervous.
Weird, it is? Jw are you speaking from personal experience b/c I haven't been able to OC my 650m on cMBP at all. What drivers/OC software are you using?

As far as your warning on OC'ing on a laptop goes, I do personally understand the associated risks, but understand there are many that don't.

Considering the 650m in the rMBP is clocked to 900/1250 & is most likely the same chip, I'm wondering how I can OC the cMBP 650m to at least these levels. Considering the voltage probably doesn't need a bump, I'm expecting like a 2-4C increase in temperature from the GPU. I'm planning on offsetting this a bit by disabling turbo on the CPU using Throttlestop (CPU generates far more heat, and I'm pretty sure the CPU/GPU share the same heatsink like in the 2011 mbp model), as I've noticed most games' performance are GPU-bound anyways.

Can anyone else chime in? Lol looking forward to an over clock. Thanks
ibebyi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 04:56 PM   #4
Meever
macrumors 6502a

rMBP has much better cooling so it has a higher ceiling.

There was a topic somewhere the guy was trying to find the max stable overclock and he ended up hitting a software limitation.
Meever is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro