Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winty03

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
My wife had asked me the other night to backup her ipod video. When I connected it to my mac and did a right click on the device, I did not get the backup option. Questioning myself I plugged in my 5th gen ipod video and same thing. Is this normal, if so how do you go about making a backup on the ipod? Our iphones and new touch ipods all have the right click backup option. But these 5th gen do not. I have both of them set to manage manually....does that make a difference? Thanks

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
What exactly are you backing up? Everything that you add to your iPod should be on your computer. i.e. Address, iCal, games etc. No backing up.

I just use the manual manage feature and drag and drop what you want. I use mine as a backup to my mp3 music. I don't keep the ical or Address book on it because that info gets backup to a disc/hard drive.

The only real thing that the backup feature does on an iTOuch is backup your settings on your iPod like Apps and then your settings where you have apps sync'd like videos, photos, folders etc.

winty03

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
I totally over looked the fact that the 5th Gen doesn't have iOS. So I understand that really all thats on there is music. Is there a way to make a full backup of the music on the ipod? I believe her iPod is formatted for Windows, and is set to manually manage the music. She just said she wanted to make sure all the music is backed up, purchased music, ripped music imported from CDs to itunes. We have had the ipods since they came out in 06, and have had many macs, she just wants to make sure all her music on it will not be lost. Is there a easy way to back up/copy all her music and playlists?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.