Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iViking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
How are your displays?

Light bleed seems non-existent, and although I read that the display is 20% dimmer than the older ones, that is not really a concern, either, because the contrast makes up for it.

But I'm wondering if any of you are noticing slightly dimmer patches around the lower edges? Mine seems that way ever so slightly on both sides but in particular on the lower left edge. It's really only noticeable on a white background and then only faintly so. Light a slight grayness, not yellowing.

Anyone have any uneven lighting or yellow screens or slight gray areas on your display?

I will check out the screens on the MBPr(s) at the Apple Store and see if it compares to mine. Other than that and the occasional creak or crack sound coming from the bottom aluminum case, everything is great with this machine and I'd hate to exchange it only to get one with a dead pixel.

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Just got mine. No light bleed, and no image retention so far as I can tell. However, the white point of the screen on the left side -- especially the lower-left -- is markedly different. Trying to figure out if this is just an optical illusion, or what. It seems to get better if I tilt the screen way back.

-- Nathan

iViking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Just got mine. No light bleed, and no image retention so far as I can tell. However, the white point of the screen on the left side -- especially the lower-left -- is markedly different. Trying to figure out if this is just an optical illusion, or what. It seems to get better if I tilt the screen way back.

-- Nathan

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought, and it seems to go away if you tilt all the way back.

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
Mine is awesome,.. no bleed, no ghosting.
I see a super tiny difference between the left side and the rest of the screen, but not really noticeable unless I use an all (light)grey background.

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
I see the difference mostly on a white background myself. It's a little distracting when reading many web pages since a lot of them (for example, Google search results) like to put their text on that side of the display. Unlike the OP, I see it as "yellowing", not a darker/grey area; however, that could just be chalked up to a difference of how our eyes perceive the same phenomenon.

-- Nathan

Davieis

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
Melbourne, AU
Hi guys,

I have the exact same issue. I returned my first RMBP to the shop and got a replacement, but this one has the exact same problem. The lower half of the screen has a slightly dimmer/different shade of colour, especially noticeable on a white background and if you're using the 1920x1200 scaling. Not that noticeable on the 'best for retina' setting.

It reminded me of the yellow tint problem on the iMacs about 2 years back, but not as bad.

Its damn annoying, especially when you drop $2500 on a laptop that is marketed as having the best screen. I was looking at my friend's screen and his is perfect and doesn't have the issue.

Last edited:

Tritons

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
This is just crazy, I'm still waiting for my rMBP and hearing about all those problems really worries me.
-Ghosting
-Pressure marks
-Dead pixels
-And now this
I sure hope I don't get faulty device. Maybe I should go with cMBP? :confused:d:

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I haven't noticed any issues on my rMBP screen, but I can sure see one way how they'd get pressure marks: there's no padding or space between the cardboard box lid and the top of the laptop. When I was in the store getting mine, there were two other customers buying a retina pro as well. The rep had one for each of us on the table, and she was showing a display model to one of the customers who was leaning on his elbow on the top of one of the rMBP boxes, and his weight was pressing noticeably into the box. I was ready to check out, and the rep started to give me the box that was being leaned on, and I asked for one of the others. She looked a little puzzled, but all I could think about was what the customer's pointy elbow had possibly done to the beautiful display (possibly nothing, but I didn't want to chance it). The Macbook Airs at least had a cushy padding along the inside top of the box.

millsy

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2006
Somewhere in time/space
I've had my rMBP now for 24+ hours and I haven't had any issues at all with my screen. I have zero light bleeding around the edges as I have had with prior iMacs or non-retina MBPs. I also have zero dead pixels after running several pixel tests with various solid colors. Simply put this screen is incredible. I find the 1680x1050 resolution the best for a compromise between screen real estate and great performance.

zerotiu

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
This is just crazy, I'm still waiting for my rMBP and hearing about all those problems really worries me.
-Ghosting
-Pressure marks
-Dead pixels
-And now this
I sure hope I don't get faulty device. Maybe I should go with cMBP? :confused:d:

Same story here, make me nervous. But if you observe more, it's like only they who receive in june that have this problem? Or mybe i'm wrong..

Tritons

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Same story here, make me nervous. But if you observe more, it's like only they who receive in june that have this problem? Or mybe i'm wrong..

I'm really starting to consider cMBP 15'' or Ultimate MBA 13''. I sure hope everything will be ok, fingers crossed.

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
I'm in the process of getting mine exchanged because I noticed the backlight was very uneven in a vertical area along the middle of the screen especially when looking at a slight angle from the side (15-20 degrees was enough). It was less noticeable straight-on. No dead pixels, ghosting, or color differences in the different areas of the screen though. Hopefully the new one will be perfect.

I've noticed it normally takes me about 3 tries until I get a perfect version of a brand new Apple product :p

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
No light leakage, no ghosting or any issues on mine.

It basically is what Anandtech reports, weaker whites but darker blacks. Color and accuracy are about the same as the old ones.

Next to my Core i7 27" iMac, it's about 1/2 as bright and 1/2 as white on max brightness.

For a laptop, it's an improvement. But don't go putting them up against iMacs or Thunderbolt displays without perspective first.

----------

I'm really starting to consider cMBP 15'' or Ultimate MBA 13''. I sure hope everything will be ok, fingers crossed.

That would be silly. The Class Macbook Pros have good color brightness and whites, but viewing angles can't hold a candle. The 13" Macbook Air has hands-down the WORST panel Apple makes with the lowest viewing angles, color accuracy and gamut, and lowest contrast ratios. Have you owned one before? I've had a 2011 briefly and a 2010 for a while. Would rather have a 13" Pro which has a vastly superior screen over an air even if the 13" Pro cost twice as much.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
My screen, thankfully, is impeccable.

To those worried about dead pixels, if it's just one you probably can't even see it. If it's a cluster, you can return the machine.

To those worried about pressure marks, return it if it has it from factory. If it doesn't, just remember not to clean the screen with pressure but gently rub it with the included microfiber cloth. Add a little water to one corner of the cloth if needed to get it fully clean, but do not scrub with pressure, that's just a disaster waiting to happen.

iViking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Hi guys,

I have the exact same issue. I returned my first RMBP to the shop and got a replacement, but this one has the exact same problem. The lower half of the screen has a slightly dimmer/different shade of colour, especially noticeable on a white background and if you're using the 1920x1200 scaling. Not that noticeable on the 'best for retina' setting.

It reminded me of the yellow tint problem on the iMacs about 2 years back, but not as bad.

Its damn annoying, especially when you drop $2500 on a laptop that is marketed as having the best screen. I was looking at my friend's screen and his is perfect and doesn't have the issue.

That's pretty much what I'm seeing too. A dimmer slightly discolored lower half. That it's dimmer stands out more than any discoloration. The reason you tend to see it on the sides more is because on a site like macrumors, there is no text on two inches of each side, so that's where it's most noticeably.

I suppose I should have titled the thread, uneven backlighting on your new screen? as this has nothing to do with dead pixels or pressure marks, ghosting, etc.

In fact I'm afraid if I exchanged this machine for a different one I will get one with dead pixels, etc.

JrJ 15

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2011
Michigan
My first rMBP had very bad ghosting. #2 is perfect. These are pictures of #1.

Attachments

• IMG_2153.JPG
    IMG_2153.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 574
  • IMG_2155.JPG
    IMG_2155.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 605
  • IMG_2157.JPG
    IMG_2157.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 539

HighEndMac

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2011
I feel that...

-Ghosting
-Pressure marks
-Dead pixels
-And now this

I'm in the same boat guy, thinking about cancelling my order but I really would prefer not to.

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
No dead pixels.
No ghosting.
No light bleed.
Contrast/brightness is perfect.

It's pretty awesome.

Evilgamer

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012

Well, at this point they're almost all June builds since the first ones built in July
are probably in the final stages of being shipped.

However mine built last week (officially week 26-July but it shipped in June) delivered yesterday has a noticeable spot on the screen, possible pressure point, looks more like a hole in the backing behind the LCD letting too much light from the backlight in.

ender21

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Southern Cal
However, the white point of the screen on the left side -- especially the lower-left -- is markedly different.

I did some calibration analysis last night, and the lower left of my screen is markedly different than the rest in color reproduction. Luminance is on par with the rest of the screen. However, compared to a target white point of D6500, that corner comes closest to reaching it! Not a dealbreaker though. It's "close enough."

apate

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2012
My first rMBP had very bad ghosting. #2 is perfect. These are pictures of #1.

How long did you leave the static image for it show? I am having a very hard time getting ghosting to that degree. But I am only see faintly the borders of the application when changing to a dark grey background and nothing is seen on the widgets page. This is after 20 minutes or so.

JrJ 15

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2011
Michigan
How long did you leave the static image for it show? I am having a very hard time getting ghosting to that degree. But I am only see faintly the borders of the application when changing to a dark grey background and nothing is seen on the widgets page. This is after 20 minutes or so.

That was with only 10-15 minutes on a page.

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
I was looking at my friend's screen and his is perfect and doesn't have the issue.
I was really, really hoping nobody was going to come along and say what you just said. Now this means that there is a chance that this is "not normal" and that there are screens that have shipped that don't do this.

Argh.

-- Nathan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.