Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Nov 6, 2002, 09:30 PM   #1
davidjuw
macrumors newbie

Powerbook 1ghz vs PowerMac

I currently have a Dual 1ghz PowerMac (mirror version). I really like the machine, but I am beginning to think that it would be extremely nice to be able to use the notebook around the house and take it out ocassionally.

I usually use the notebook for word, excel, internet browsing, email, virtual pc, and the ocassional photoshop tasks.

Will the Powerbook be fast enough, or will it feel sluggish in comparison to the PowerMac. The PowerMac is extremely fast and I don't want to be disapointed with the Powerbook's speed.

Will it be a disappointment?

Thanks in advance,
DJ
davidjuw is offline   0
Old Nov 6, 2002, 10:25 PM   #2
Durandal7
macrumors 68040

Re: Powerbook 1ghz vs PowerMac

Quote:
Originally posted by davidjuw

I usually use the notebook for word, excel, internet browsing, email, virtual pc, and the ocassional photoshop tasks.

Will the Powerbook be fast enough, or will it feel sluggish in comparison to the PowerMac. The PowerMac is extremely fast and I don't want to be disapointed with the Powerbook's speed.
I think that for those tasks the 1GHZ Powerbook should do just fine
Durandal7 is offline   0
Old Nov 6, 2002, 10:26 PM   #3
BenderBot1138
macrumors 6502

If you try to bend the spoon...

Think more in terms of what else are you going to use? A PC laptop? The Titanium Powerbook will do!

Last edited by BenderBot1138; Nov 6, 2002 at 11:26 PM.
BenderBot1138 is offline   0
Old Nov 6, 2002, 10:34 PM   #4
scem0
macrumors 604

The powermac is a much better deal. Especially if you can get the educational discounts. I would get the powerbook. It also looks better, is less bulky, and you don't have to worry about a monitor. Go with the powerbook .
scem0 is offline   0
Old Nov 6, 2002, 10:51 PM   #5
Over Achiever
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Over Achiever Send a message via Yahoo to Over Achiever Send a message via Skype™ to Over Achiever
Quote:
Originally posted by scem0
The powermac is a much better deal. Especially if you can get the educational discounts. I would get the powerbook. It also looks better, is less bulky, and you don't have to worry about a monitor. Go with the powerbook .
Sorry, I got a little confused. The powermac is the better deal, but the powerbook is cooler? Hence you recommend the powerbook?

Like Dundral7 said, with the tasks you would like to do, the powerbook will be fine. It will be a tad slower...face it, its a laptop, and its not a dual processor. But not very many programs take advantage of the dual processors anyway...(i'm prob wrong)

If you have the cash for it, buy the powerbook. It's...cool

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion