Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
My iMac (in sig) was nice and fast... until I upgraded to Lion. Now it is slow, and freezes often, while doing simple things like web browsing. I thought I read a while ago that Mountain Lion will be faster on older Mac's, but I'm not sure if this is true or not. So, does anyone know if it will be?

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
My iMac (in sig) was nice and fast... until I upgraded to Lion. Now it is slow, and freezes often, while doing simple things like web browsing. I thought I read a while ago that Mountain Lion will be faster on older Mac's, but I'm not sure if this is true or not. So, does anyone know if it will be?

did you upgrade to lion? It could be that some files got corrupted or your HD has errors. If you can, a clean install might fix all the problems for you. An upgrade to mountain lion is unlikely to fix anything.

p.s. If you use time machine. A clean install followed by a time machine restore is not a clean install. If you want a "clean" clean install you have to backup all you data manually.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
did you upgrade to lion? It could be that some files got corrupted or your HD has errors. If you can, a clean install might fix all the problems for you. An upgrade to mountain lion is unlikely to fix anything.
[/I]

I did, and I don't think it's anything like that. It's a ram problem, I'm 99% sure of it. At the moment, with 4 applications and 4 tabs open, 1.96/2gb of ram is used.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
You should really consider installing more RAM, it will really speed things up. Looks like you have an iMac 8,1 which can take up to 6GB of DDR2.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
You should really consider installing more RAM, it will really speed things up. Looks like you have an iMac 8,1 which can take up to 6GB of DDR2.

I would, but on August 9th I'll have the money for a Retina Macbook Pro, so there won't be much point. I'll probably never use this iMac again, as it's my mum's, who uses her iPad more than this. Was still curious if ML would speed it up though.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
I would, but on August 9th I'll have the money for a Retina Macbook Pro, so there won't be much point. I'll probably never use this iMac again, as it's my mum's, who uses her iPad more than this. Was still curious if ML would speed it up though.

If it's your mom's, you should probably still max the RAM in it so that she doesn't have to deal with slowness issues. RAM is so cheap anyway...

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
If it's your mom's, you should probably still max the RAM in it so that she doesn't have to deal with slowness issues. RAM is so cheap anyway...

She uses it maybe 20 minutes a week, she's always on her iPad. It's really not worth maxing the ram. I was just kind of hoping I Could install ML on this until I got my Macbook Pro.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA

Even on my 3 year old Mac, Mountain Lion is brilliant! I have had no freezes, and overall performance is nice and fluid. Also, RAM usage is much better in ML... on a cold boot, I have about 1.28 GB of free RAM (I have 2GB). I think you will be pleased

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.