Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
Hello everyone! i was thinking of picking up a base 128GB Macbook Air to hold me over until the new iMacs are refreshed/released etc. i am really tired of all this waiting but i am not willing to pay a pretty penny for outdated technology. i really do hope the iMacs are refreshed soon. i feel like i am wasting my summer away with all this waiting. Atleast with an Air, i can begin to enjoy the experience of OSX while waiting for new iMacs. The Air will also be my back up for when school starts (as it has flash which the iPad does not) for assignments, online work, and what have you, just in case Apple decides to delay the refresh until the fall. At the same time, i would hate to drop money on an air when i have an iPad, as the iPad (i have the zaggfolio with keyboard for it) is more than capable of handling many work/school related tasks (minus the flash which is why i'm considering an Air). i find the air more appealing than a Macbook Pro because of it's lightweight, mobility, and friendlier price tag. Anyone here find it worth owning both an iPad and Air? i also feel the Air could complement the new iMac nicely, although the iPad can do just the same. Maybe i can pick up an Air now and then sell it once the iMacs are released? Thanks guys!

Scythe5

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
My thought is that the iPad and Mac Book Air would be fine, if you wanted to go that route. No one knows when or IF there will be a iMac refresh later this month (or year). So you might as well get what you will use while avoiding paying for outdated tech.

While I don't own a Mac Air, many of my friends do and they all love it. Two of them use as their main machine with no desire to purchase anything else and I seriously considered it myself recently. (I'm just not a portable computer kind of guy).

I'm also tired of waiting, so I started ordering my PC components. Just grabbed a ASUS GTX680-DC2T to start (it was out of stock, but I was notified they had received some.....I had to jump while I could). So it will be a PC for me for the foreseeable future.

Good Luck with your decision.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
If you're wishing to avoid old tech then perhaps a retina MBP, and forget the iMac. There's no guarantee the iMac will be a revolutionary machine, while the new MBP is perhaps the best laptop out there, bar none. If you're considering an Air you obviously need a mobile computer anyway.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
My thought is that the iPad and Mac Book Air would be fine, if you wanted to go that route. No one knows when or IF there will be a iMac refresh later this month (or year). So you might as well get what you will use while avoiding paying for outdated tech.

While I don't own a Mac Air, many of my friends do and they all love it. Two of them use as their main machine with no desire to purchase anything else and I seriously considered it myself recently. (I'm just not a portable computer kind of guy).

I'm also tired of waiting, so I started ordering my PC components. Just grabbed a ASUS GTX680-DC2T to start (it was out of stock, but I was notified they had received some.....I had to jump while I could). So it will be a PC for me for the foreseeable future.

Good Luck with your decision.

Hey man, yep i can't take the wait anymore, i have been eager to dive into OSX since February while waiting for refreshed iMacs, in what should've been my first mac purchase. However, with all the rumors of the refreshed/redesign happening in October, that will be too long of a wait for me. i am going to plunge and purchase the 2012 MBA 11" model. i will prob get the higher end model, and bump up the RAM to 8 gigs and the SSD to 256 gigs. i'd rather do the 11" and save some money increasing the specs on that, instead of doing the 13" and spend more maximizing its specs. in plus, the 11" is lighter and even more portable. This should hold me over well until the iMac refresh/redesign or whatever the hell Apple is planning! One question for gaming wise, do you think i'll benefit from bumping up the i5 1.7 GHz to an i7 2.0 GHz? Thanks!

----------

If you're wishing to avoid old tech then perhaps a retina MBP, and forget the iMac. There's no guarantee the iMac will be a revolutionary machine, while the new MBP is perhaps the best laptop out there, bar none. If you're considering an Air you obviously need a mobile computer anyway.

i see what you're saying but i'd rather do an Air and save some money on that, as they are very capable and powerful machines despite their tiny form factor. Then i'll just wait for an iMac refresh while the Air holds me over.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Hello everyone! i was thinking of picking up a base 128GB Macbook Air to hold me over until the new iMacs are refreshed/released etc. i am really tired of all this waiting but i am not willing to pay a pretty penny for outdated technology. i really do hope the iMacs are refreshed soon. i feel like i am wasting my summer away with all this waiting. Atleast with an Air, i can begin to enjoy the experience of OSX while waiting for new iMacs. The Air will also be my back up for when school starts (as it has flash which the iPad does not) for assignments, online work, and what have you, just in case Apple decides to delay the refresh until the fall. At the same time, i would hate to drop money on an air when i have an iPad, as the iPad (i have the zaggfolio with keyboard for it) is more than capable of handling many work/school related tasks (minus the flash which is why i'm considering an Air). i find the air more appealing than a Macbook Pro because of it's lightweight, mobility, and friendlier price tag. Anyone here find it worth owning both an iPad and Air? i also feel the Air could complement the new iMac nicely, although the iPad can do just the same. Maybe i can pick up an Air now and then sell it once the iMacs are released? Thanks guys!

Honestly I know how you feel. I think you will be happiest if you decide to wait for the iMac. It will be an overwhelming feeling of joy when the day comes and you have your new iMac in hands.

Also take into consideration, what if this iMac is a huge upgrade and you decided to take the plunge and go with a MacBook air?

Also remember that the Air is due for a retina display soon, so this may make you regret this decision even more.

So IMO, you should wait for the iMac of your dreams :)

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
Honestly I know how you feel. I think you will be happiest if you decide to wait for the iMac. It will be an overwhelming feeling of joy when the day comes and you have your new iMac in hands.

Also take into consideration, what if this iMac is a huge upgrade and you decided to take the plunge and go with a MacBook air?

Also remember that the Air is due for a retina display soon, so this may make you regret this decision even more.

So IMO, you should wait for the iMac of your dreams :)

i respect what you're saying but i seriously cannot take this waiting anymore (i am going insane, scavenging mac rumors, these forums, and the internet daily and obsessively for the latest iMac rumors). i have been working alot this summer, saving up money and would like to enjoy some of that hard earned cash by putting it to good use and splurging on a spec'ed out MBA! i have been PC-less for several months already and to be honest, i walked away from the apple store extremely impressed with and excited about the new MBA. Next semester begins at the end of August and i would love to enjoy and spend the rest of my summer by experiencing OSX and playing D3 (which i know won't run the best on mba but hey some D3 is better than no D3! and i will bootcamp for it. Gizmodo even posted a review on the 2012 mba and mentioned how it ran D3 on medium-high settings smoothly). Can't keep waiting forever man. i will still pick-up the refreshed iMac if and when apple decides to do so, but until then, i will be picking up a mba! ;) in plus, i need a PC soon before school starts, and the mba will serve that purpose until the new iMacs arrive, just in case they aren't refreshed by then, which seems to be the case in light of all the new rumors pointing to a fall refresh.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
i respect what you're saying but i seriously cannot take this waiting anymore (i am going insane, scavenging mac rumors, these forums, and the internet daily and obsessively for the latest iMac rumors). i have been working alot this summer, saving up money and would like to enjoy some of that hard earned cash by putting it to good use and splurging on a spec'ed out MBA! i have been PC-less for several months already and to be honest, i walked away from the apple store extremely impressed with and excited about the new MBA. Next semester begins at the end of August and i would love to enjoy and spend the rest of my summer by experiencing OSX and playing D3 (which i know won't run the best on mba but hey some D3 is better than no D3! and i will bootcamp for it. Gizmodo even posted a review on the 2012 mba and mentioned how it ran D3 on medium-high settings smoothly). Can't keep waiting forever man. i will still pick-up the refreshed iMac if and when apple decides to do so, but until then, i will be picking up a mba! ;) in plus, i need a PC soon before school starts, and the mba will serve that purpose until the new iMacs arrive, just in case they aren't refreshed by then, which seems to be the case in light of all the new rumors pointing to a fall refresh.

I was actually looking at the 2012 MBA, but I think I'll wait until a redesign or possibly the retina display model comes out. I was also thinking of waiting for possibly the liquid metal model.

Hopefully you enjoy your choice, keep me informed in what you do... I'm curious into how you'll enjoy what your decide!

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
iMacs are overdue for an update so I'd wait. Updates could be any day now.

I was in the same boat as you a few years ago and took the plunge only to see updates literally a week later. Luckily, I was getting refurbs and got a further price adjustment so I was happy.

But there's a big difference between iMac and MacBook Air, so if its the iMac experience you're after then the Air won't hit the spot.

I wouldn't count on resale value. It's been dropping for Apple stuff the last few years plus you WILL be taking a loss, probably of a few hundred bucks (which you could use to get a higher iMac model or some upgrades).

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
Redesign?

I was actually looking at the 2012 MBA, but I think I'll wait until a redesign or possibly the retina display model comes out. I was also thinking of waiting for possibly the liquid metal model.

Hopefully you enjoy your choice, keep me informed in what you do... I'm curious into how you'll enjoy what your decide!

i'm confused, the MBAs were recently refreshed and i don't think apple will be redesigning them anytime soon as they have kept their same light and thin form factor that has obviously been successful for them, so i don't see them changing their successful formula anytime soon. What redesign rumors are you basing your assertions on? Not trying to be confrontational and i appreciate your responses thus far:D However, i haven't heard of any redesign/refresh rumors for the mba especially considering that they were just refreshed. Also, how can apple include retina in the mba models when the machines don't have the space to accomodate GPUs necessary to drive such power hungry and heat producing displays. Retina on an air would be in my opinion, extremely difficult to execute, and would cause all sorts of dilemmas (e.g., much shorter battery life, overheating, design limitations, etc.) in fact, can't the current mba be classified as retina due to their resolutions on such small displays and high pixel densities? if they pulled it off, it would be a marvelous engineering feat!!! realistically, i don't see it happening in the near future. i might have missed any recent mba rumors due to my fixation on iMac rumors;)

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
i'm confused, the MBAs were recently refreshed and i don't think apple will be redesigning them anytime soon as they have kept their same light and thin form factor that has obviously been successful for them, so i don't see them changing their successful formula anytime soon. What redesign rumors are you basing your assertions on? Not trying to be confrontational and i appreciate your responses thus far:D However, i haven't heard of any redesign/refresh rumors for the mba especially considering that they were just refreshed. Also, how can apple include retina in the mba models when the machines don't have the space to accomodate GPUs necessary to drive such power hungry and heat producing displays. Retina on an air would be in my opinion, extremely difficult to execute, and would cause all sorts of dilemmas (e.g., much shorter battery life, overheating, design limitations, etc.) in fact, can't the current mba be classified as retina due to their resolutions on such small displays and high pixel densities? if they pulled it off, it would be a marvelous engineering feat!!! realistically, i don't see it happening in the near future. i might have missed any recent mba rumors due to my fixation on iMac rumors;)

No rumors really, but a retina equipped MBA seems almost certain. Who knows when, but it's certain that it's coming sometime. I'm in no desire need for the computer at the moment now though, I'm just waiting for the time to come so I can make a decision.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
No rumors really, but a retina equipped MBA seems almost certain. Who knows when, but it's certain that it's coming sometime. I'm in no desire need for the computer at the moment now though, I'm just waiting for the time to come so I can make a decision.

Lol, you were about to start making me wait for the next redesigned/retina MBAs the same way everyone has been waiting for the next redesigned/refreshed iMacs :D i'm prob gonna get the 11" mba and i will definitely let you know what they are like!

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
iMac refresh not imminent?

With all these new rumors picking up steam of the iMac refresh in October, it seems more and more that once again all of our hopes of a refresh with ML will be dashed. I think I'm definitely going to pick up an Air now. In plus, if the new iMacs are released with new ML, I can always return the Air (which I don't think I will do because it appears to be a great little machine!;))

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
It all depends on your needs. To me a retina display on a 11 inch would not be a big jump over current MBA. I went to Apple store compared screens, picked up MacBook pro, picked up MBA left with MBA. iPad is different enough that if you can afford it buy both. iPad much more useable In a lot of situations. Plus having cellular data built in, for me, is a plus. Not interested in "unlimited data" debate it works for me YMMV;)

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
There is certainly no excuse at this point in time to cave in and purchase a 2011 (= outdated) iMac. With all the current tech out there, one is not getting their hard earned money's worth by spending a galactic amount on over a year old technology, heading into 2 years. I'd rather put my money (which I slave and work extremely hard for) to better use and pick up a MBA instead of a maxed out 21.5" iMac. It doesn't make any sense. The 2012 MBA has definite advantages over the 2011 iMac, for example:

MBA (2012):
-USB 3
-Flash storage (faster write/read speeds than the SSDs in the 2011 iMac)
-Ivy Bridge processor
-Intel HD 4000 GPU (increase the system RAM to 8GB and you get 512MB of VRAM versus the 384 MB with the stock 4GB of RAM) where the Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB VRAM on the 21.5" iMac is marginally better.

No thanks, but I know where my money is going this summer;) Now when Apple refreshes their iMac line with 2012 hardware, then that's a different story, and I will be the first to whip out my credit card and drop some serious $ for those models. Until then, I will gladly settle for a MBA. I'm tired of ruminating and waiting all the time, and just want to experience OSX already. That's just my two pennies:)

----------

There is certainly no excuse at this point in time to cave in and purchase a 2011 (= outdated) iMac. With all the current tech out there, one is not getting their hard earned money's worth by spending a galactic amount on over a year old technology, heading into 2 years. I'd rather put my money (which I slave and work extremely hard for) to better use and pick up a MBA instead of a maxed out 21.5" iMac. It doesn't make any sense. The 2012 MBA has definite advantages over the 2011 iMac, for example:

MBA (2012):
-USB 3
-Flash storage (faster write/read speeds than the SSDs in the 2011 iMac)
-Ivy Bridge processor
-Intel HD 4000 GPU (increase the system RAM to 8GB and you get 512MB of VRAM versus the 384 MB with the stock 4GB of RAM) where the Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB VRAM on the 21.5" iMac is marginally better.

No thanks, but I know where my money is going this summer;) Now when Apple refreshes their iMac line with 2012 hardware, then that's a different story, and I will be the first to whip out my credit card and drop some serious $ for those models. Until then, I will gladly settle for a MBA. I'm tired of ruminating and waiting all the time, and just want to experience OSX already. That's just my two pennies:)

Crap!!! I'm trying to rally myself to pick up a mac now and then I see this!:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...c_drying_up_as_ivy_bridge_upgrade_awaits.html

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
It depends whether you really need a Mac right now and a refreshed iMac later this summer - only you can tell if that makes good financial sense. If you don't get an Air now, you might be able to afford a higher end iMac later.

I have a last-gen 11 inch Air, and it's the best laptop I've ever owned, going back to the original PowerBook. It's light, fast, and much more suited to the work I do on the go than my iPad.

Good luck with your decision.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Omg just buy an iMac now. it doesn't become obsolete when the new ones come out. If and when they do, you can decide if they're worth the upgrade at the time. You will also be able to sell your iMac at a good price towards the new one.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
Omg just buy an iMac now. it doesn't become obsolete when the new ones come out. If and when they do, you can decide if they're worth the upgrade at the time. You will also be able to sell your iMac at a good price towards the new one.

In light of current events and by default, I believe the current iMacs are already on their way to becoming obsolete. I would like to get the most bang for my buck, and the current models unfortunately will not do the job. Bring on the 2012 iMacs already! It wouldn't be fiscally prudent for me to order a fully specced out 2011 iMac and pay well over $2500, just to sell it for half, to maybe 2/3 of the price. That's a loss I'm not willing to accept. I'd rather shell out the money for a 2012 iMac.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Hello everyone! i feel like i am wasting my summer away with all this waiting.
You're right you are wasting time if all you're doing is waiting. Your impatience is winning. Surely you have other things to do. Life is about patience. Anything you buy now is only going to be a waste of money. Even if resold, you'll still take a loss. Waiting is free.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Hello everyone! i was thinking of picking up a base 128GB Macbook Air to hold me over until the new iMacs are refreshed/released etc. i am really tired of all this waiting but i am not willing to pay a pretty penny for outdated technology.

Now this makes no sense.

You're willing to waste money on something you really don't want (MBA) so what's the difference?

Are you just looking for a reason to blow some money?

' duuuuuh well the new iMacs aren't out yet so let me waste my money one something I don't want until the iMacs come out. '

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
Now this makes no sense.

You're willing to waste money on something you really don't want (MBA) so what's the difference?

Are you just looking for a reason to blow some money?

' duuuuuh well the new iMacs aren't out yet so let me waste my money one something I don't want until the iMacs come out. '

You apparently don't know how to read. I'd rather not waste money on outdated technology aka a 2011 iMac. A 2012 MBA is current technology and I CLEARLY STATED THAT I NEED A COMPUTER BEFORE THE COLLEGE SEMESTER STARTS, if the 2012 iMacs are not released with ML. As I am COMPUTERLESS, this therefore constitutes a matter of necessity whereby my purchase would not be deemed a waste. Also about making sense, which you demonstrate a lack of by your invalid post, IF I did purchase a MBA, I would keep it because it is a LAPTOP and not a desktop. It makes no sense for me to purchase a 2011 iMac and then sell it for a 2012 iMac, that I agree, is blowing money. A MBA will serve a different type of purpose as opposed to an iMac. You do know there are many people that own both a laptop and desktop right? Also, what doesn't make sense about a college student/professional utilizing a PORTABLE ULTRABOOK a.k.a the MBA for school/work-related needs? If you have nothing valuable to contribute, then please don't go around instigating on several different posts in order to cater to your pessimistic/immature and clearly nonsense personality:D

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
If you're going to keep the MBA anyway, then your decision's a no-brainer. Buy it, enjoy it, and buy your new 2012 iMac when it comes out. Or maybe buy a 2012 Mini and a refurb Thunderbolt monitor if it suits your needs and budget better.

Bottom line, if there's a MBA in your future regardless, then get one and star enjoying it.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
If you're going to keep the MBA anyway, then your decision's a no-brainer. Buy it, enjoy it, and buy your new 2012 iMac when it comes out. Or maybe buy a 2012 Mini and a refurb Thunderbolt monitor if it suits your needs and budget better.

Bottom line, if there's a MBA in your future regardless, then get one and star enjoying it.

Makes perfect sense! I gave you a vote for this :)

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
In light of current events and by default, I believe the current iMacs are already on their way to becoming obsolete. I would like to get the most bang for my buck, and the current models unfortunately will not do the job. Bring on the 2012 iMacs already! It wouldn't be fiscally prudent for me to order a fully specced out 2011 iMac and pay well over $2500, just to sell it for half, to maybe 2/3 of the price. That's a loss I'm not willing to accept. I'd rather shell out the money for a 2012 iMac.

No, they are nowhere near obsolete. Just not bleeding edge top of the line (though, they never are anyway).

If you want more 'bang for your buck', you would still do well with going with an iMac over a MBA (pay more - get way less).

And I am positive you will get WAY more than half and a bit more than 2/3 the price you paid for a year old iMac. I sold my last iMac (2011 27") on eBay for literally $100 less than I paid for it. Unfortunately ebay/paypal took an extra hundred in fees, but it was still well over 2/3 of the price.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
Which Model?

No, they are nowhere near obsolete. Just not bleeding edge top of the line (though, they never are anyway).

If you want more 'bang for your buck', you would still do well with going with an iMac over a MBA (pay more - get way less).

And I am positive you will get WAY more than half and a bit more than 2/3 the price you paid for a year old iMac. I sold my last iMac (2011 27") on eBay for literally $100 less than I paid for it. Unfortunately ebay/paypal took an extra hundred in fees, but it was still well over 2/3 of the price.

Which iMac did you buy? BTO 27" or stock? Base model or high-end model? Curious, why did you sell a 27" for the 21.5"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.