Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oragami

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2012
I finally got iTunes on my computer and put some of the PDFs I have onto my iPad, but I was wondering how (if at all) I can download them directly from the Internet on my iPad and open them in iBooks. My computer at home has no Internet, and the only Internet-accessible computer I get to use maybe...once a month.

And if i need to download another app, I need it to be free, and have an option to transfer the file from my iPad to my computer, then to my iPad through iTunes (you get what I mean?)

Theres a bunch of things from archiveofourown.org I want to read when offline, and saving them in Terra is kinda a pains
And if it makes a difference it's a first gen iPad

Last edited:

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
When you open a PDF in Safari on the iPad itself, a bar should appear that says "Open in..." on the top right corner of the screen. Tap that and select iBooks. It'll download it to the device and open it in iBooks.

Oragami

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2012
When you open a PDF in Safari on the iPad itself, a bar should appear that says "Open in..." on the top right corner of the screen. Tap that and select iBooks. It'll download it to the device and open it in iBooks.

I rarely use Safari (prefer Terra) so its not a surprise I didn't know it could do that. I shall try :)

----------

Ok, so I Did what you said and opened it in iBooks. Does that meanits saved?

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Yes. Once you open a PDF in iBooks via Safari it is saved to the phone. You can see all saved PDFs by clicking on the library button in the top left of iBooks. If you do not see this, tap on the PDF document first to invoke this menu bar.

In the library, you can switch between books and PDF documents by tapping on the middle button in the top center of the app and selecting which you'd like to see.

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I rarely use Safari (prefer Terra) so its not a surprise I didn't know it could do that. I shall try :)

----------

Ok, so I Did what you said and opened it in iBooks. Does that meanits saved?

For what it's worth, my experience is that it's saved but it might just disappear for no reason after a while (couple weeks or months).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.