Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaCamZa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
England, United Kingdom
So I plan to replace the optical drive in my Late '09 Macbook (unibody) with an SSD. Any advice on potential problems of doing this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2nd-HDD-S...closures_RL&hash=item45fcf72b91#ht_4860wt_902

This would be the 'Caddy' I would use to replace the optical drive, but I was thinking to put the current HDD into the caddy instead of the SSD and put the SSD in the main place where the current HDD is. Any issues with this?

I plan to buy a 128GB Crucial M4 SSD for my Apps/Music/Lightroom Library ect. However, i was also thinking whether i should just replace the current HDD with the SSD and use the current HDD as an External Hard Drive instead; but I don't particularly want to bring that with me everywhere I go thats why I would like to have that in my Mac rather than out.

What do you think? :confused:

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
Many have reported problems when the SDD was placed in the optibay. The consensus seems to be that the SSD should replace the HDD and the HDD should go in the ODD bay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.