Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Yes, it is another EM game. This one has same basic rules as the last one. However, some adjustments are going to be made. These adjustments are the ones discussed in the previous EM game regarding abilities of the assassins and the firepower being leveled by the bad guys.

The difference between this EM game and the last is the theme. The theme for this game is based the Wild Western lores and legends. The six adventurers are nothing but cowboys looking for a quick loot and gold to take back to their families and make themselves rich. Each good guys comes from a predetermined city in the Northeast, Mideast and Southeast continental United States. Each adventurer, or cowboy has a unique ability that will vary according to the city. Optimal six players, but I can go to eight players if need be.

The bad guys are a band of gangsters whose headquarters are in busting Los Angeles.

Since each bad guy is representing a different loot, each of the four mansions will be located in three different cities scattered through out the West and Rockies of the continental United States.

Please bear in mind, this game will take time. Since each [EM] game only comes ever so often, it is expected to last for a while. So if you sign up, please bear in mind you have to participate and cooperate all times during your turn. This game will not be fun if a player signs up and disappears mid game. We all have real lives, if something comes up, please be considerate and let the players know so we know you are still in and not MIA.

Roles

You pick these! Select the one you like and bold it in your post. Two or more want the same role, random.org will decide.

Western Gang
  • Los Angeles
    • Most Wanted Don:
  • Bakersfield
    • Fool's Gold Exchanger:
  • Carson City
    • Schemer: Sythas
  • Modesto
    • Railroad Derailer:

Eastern Adventurers
  • New Orleans
    • Voodoo Medic:
  • Washington DC
    • Lockheed Bomber:
  • St. Louis
    • Exploration Expert
  • Chicago
    • Mafia Gun Consigleri:
  • Miami
    • Drug Lord:
  • Boston
    • Trade Agent:
  • New York City
    • Finance Avisor:

Welcome to the Evil Mansion Games!

You do not have to have played a Evil Mansion game to sign up, but I do highly encourage that you sign up only if you've played a [WW] game at least once.

This type of game will require somewhat more commitment than the normal [WW] game requires. The game simply does not function as intended if more than a few players disappear for days at a time.

********************​

Rules
  • General Rules
    1. The game begins with four villains: a Don, an Exchanger, a Schemer and a Derailer and eight assassins. The villains and the assassins have their own abilities that are PMed to them and not unveiled publicly.
    2. The roles will be known to all from the beginning - there will be no secret roles. The only secrets in this game are: the full map per mansion at each city (only the villains has access - more on that below) and the unique abilities of the individual assassins.
    3. The maps and per city rewards will be slowly revealed to the assassins as they move through the mansion.
  • Villain Rules
    1. There are four villains this game.
    2. The main villain is Il Don, who controls the safe houses, gold deposits, money making maneuvers and all his crew. He cannot move from his office located in Los Angeles. The Don is a warrior that grew in slums of early Los Angeles, his level is unknown, but he will never level. The Don relies his crew of thieves and bandits to protect him and eliminate the adventurers & cowboys. His mansion is the last to be reached.
    3. The Exchanger is the main muscle of the villains' camp. He will begin at a undisclosed level and will level each time he tricks people. His main role is to protect the Don. He can generate money from tricking people into handling real gold locations by using Fools Gold. The more he tricks, the more gold he can give the Schemer. The Exchanger can move about all cities in Il Don's Wild West. His safe house can be reached at the start of the game.
    4. The Schemer is the Don's money launder. He does not engage the assassins unless explicitly attacked first. The Schemer is a introvert and tries to stay out of peoples way and responds to the Don. His convert the gold obtained by the Exchanger into cash. The Schemer starts at level 10 and can level depending on how many successful transactions he makes. His safe house can be reached at the start of the game.
    5. The Derailer is Il Don's main cash maker. The Derailer obtains goods from rerouted trains and sells them for profit. The Derailer can't be reached until the Schemer and Exchanger are dead. Unknown level to start and can level to unknown amounts.
    6. Their Goal: to eliminate each and every cowboy invading the safe houses.
  • The Cowboys:
    1. They all start at level 2. Their stats begin at 2 HP and 2 AP. Each time they level up, 1 HP and 1 AP will be added to their base stats.
    2. Each cowboy have special powers known only to them, and revealed to the other heroes at their own discretion. However, once a special ability is performed, this will be revealed in the thread.
    3. Cowboys’ Goal: To assassinate the Don and obtain riches.
  • Game Mechanics:
    1. Each rounds consist of a double turn for the cowboys followed by a double turn for the villains. Each turn corresponds to one action.
    2. There is no time limit on any turn; the cowboys' turn ends when the team leader communicates his decision to the Game Master. The villains’ turns are done by PM.
    3. At the beginning, the cowboys designates a leader (by a majority vote). The leader can be changed at any time by a simple majority, and it applies from the following turn. The designated leader facilitates the group's decisions and communicates them to the Game Master. Bolding the moves make it easier to know what the true and official move is.
  • Cowboy actions (decided by the leader in the thread, which should, but not necessarily has to, reflect the group opinion expressed through voting/discussion exclusively in the thread):
    1. Move: the group opens a passage and moves into the next room.
    2. Explore: the group explores the room they are in to find items or pick up dropped weapons.
    3. Split and move: part of the group splits into a separate sub-group, who will have a separate turn(s) from next turn on. The new group chooses a new leader, the original group retains the old leader. The first, immediate, action of the new group HAS to be to move into a separate room (or stay in a room if the other group moves. If two groups get back into the same room, they automatically merge. When merged, the original leader remains leader, unless decided otherwise. The splitting doesn’t count as a move per se, but the splinter group has to immediately move to another room, so it counts as that group's action. The teams will from the split onwards, have two turns per round (not counting the turns they have already used as a single team in the instant round). They can arrange the turns in the manner they see fit. Groups can be any size; cowboys can even go solo if they wish.
    4. Special actions: determined by the characters’ special powers. No one except a character knows the nature, extent or frequency of use of any of the special powers, including the villains. Those powers are performed by their respective character via PM to the GM. They do not consume turns, but are performed during the next turn following the order.
  • Moving & Safe Houses
    1. Cowboys have to consider the hazards of the city routes. Each route takes 2 turns to complete and there can be detours to other cities.
    2. Because there are four safe houses to consider, each safe house is only one floor high, except Il Don. None of the safe houses are large considering time.
    3. Rattle Snake, Attacking Natives, and Lawless bandits lurk in the routes. Each of these are random (determined by random.org). The Cowboys can complete an entire route without any encounter.
  • Villains’ actions
    1. Each villain can hire and position the goons in their safe houses and on certain routes (to and from their city).
    2. Increase cash reserves.
    3. Set up traps
    4. The villains can wait for as many consecutive turns as they like, in which no other actions are performed.

Of course there are several other things to be taken into consideration. Remember, now we travel to different cities. We have several obstacles along the way and hazards as well.

• Traps: Are not meant to kill everyone. They will only slow down and deal some damage. Placing them is randomly selected by the safe house owner. There can only be one trap per room, and it can be destroyed by the cowboys. Activating a trap costs money. Damage dealt by the trap applies only to a randomly selected cowboy. They can be detected and avoided.
  • Goons: Goons lurk in their assigned rooms or in city routes and don’t move unless moved by the owner. They will automatically attack the group when they enter the same room, in a fight to the death.
  • Items: items can be found throughout the safe houses by exploring the room. Items can also be found in city routes in the form of abandoned carriages or attacked settler caravans. The usage of items can help the cowboys.
  • Valuable treasure: hidden away in the safe houses, worth millions if taken... if you make it out of the wild west alive, that is. Everyone in the group that discovers it gains one level.
  • Useful tems: they are placed by the GM at the beginning of the game, only the Game Master and the villains know their locations. Various items that holds significance. Their significance may not be apparent immediately, however. An example of such items is a key. They do NOT level up the group that finds them.
  • Goon drops: When killed, goons drop various types of guns (depending on the type of goon). When picked up, they add points to the top of the AP of the assassin holding the gun. The bigger/badder the gun, the bigger the AP bonus.
  • Fights: A fight starts whenever assassins enter a room with goons or the villains, and it is always a team battle.
  • The AP, or Attack Points, represents the total damage inflicted to the other side. This is randomly distributed to each component of the other side (if more than one). Even if a person dies during a battle, he/she will continue to be included in the damage assignment - the excess damage will be considered a "miss."
  • The HP, or Hit Points, are the amount of damage a character can receive before dying. The amount of damage received is determined by the opponent's AP, as discussed above.
  • When HP is zero, the goon or character dies.
  • In case of equal stats, the winner will be determined by random.org, and the loser's stats will be knocked down one point, and the consequences applied accordingly.

A example: say our team has split up, and we have three assassins who stumble upon a goon. Let's assume that our assassins are at level 2. That would mean they both have 2 HP and 2 AP. The unfortunate goon is at level 3, which means he would have 3 HP and 3 AP. Oh no! But wait, we combine the three assassins' stats, so the team's stats are 6 HP and 6 AP. Poor goon, indeed. It's dead, but its 3 AP means it'll hit the assassins with 3 points - each point will be assigned randomly to the members, depleting their HP.
  • Stats: all assassins start at 2 HP and 2 AP as base stats and gain 1 point each per level. When attacking, a group is considered as one entity and their AP are combined.
  • When receiving damage, the damage points are randomly distributed via random.org.
  • The HP of a character cannot exceed the maximum HP. The AP, however, can exceed the maximum with the use of guns.
  • Healing occurs over time. Every 2 turn heals everyone an HP. Further healing can take place if the group decides to trade their APs for that turn for 1 HP. However, if attacked, cowboys will not be able to respond back due to no AP.
  • Leveling: Discover treasure: gain a level. Kill a goon: gain a level (2 levels if one of the big three). That's it.
  • There is no maximum level, and levels are gained by all the participants in the group that did the killing or discovery

Last edited:

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
i just saw this.
i didn't have time to read the rules (i know, i know :)) and I am not sure i am ready for another marathon yet.

i think one thing i would make sure is to leave plenty of time to discuss balancing and mechanics.
I also think that if we wan a well-balanced game- there should be no 'secret stuff': all the specials should be known, as well as the full list/values of the goonies.
it takes some of the surprise factor away from the game but it allows to get the kinks ironed out

if everything is out in the open, the players can 'test run' from both sides and it becomes immediately obvious if one of the two teams is at an advantage.

also, you should have some mechanism to encourage single players to split out and go 'solo', at least for some stints. maybe a stealth feature of some sorts.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
i just saw this.
i didn't have time to read the rules (i know, i know :)) and I am not sure i am ready for another marathon yet.

i think one thing i would make sure is to leave plenty of time to discuss balancing and mechanics.
I also think that if we wan a well-balanced game- there should be no 'secret stuff': all the specials should be known, as well as the full list/values of the goonies.
it takes some of the surprise factor away from the game but it allows to get the kinks ironed out

if everything is out in the open, the players can 'test run' from both sides and it becomes immediately obvious if one of the two teams is at an advantage.

also, you should have some mechanism to encourage single players to split out and go 'solo', at least for some stints. maybe a stealth feature of some sorts.

The roles are already known from previous game. I am just going to recycle them and adjust certain abilities. For instance, the Sneaking Expert will be limited to 1 room per turn.

However, I need input. Yes I understand it is too soon after the previous one. However, this game will not start any time soon since there are several things to be discussed.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
I'm going to say in this time. I followed the other one and wish I'd played. I'll have to read the rules more carefully later though.

I am going to be gone for the next two weeks. Can't really post from the middle of no where...

Last edited:

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Remember that roles are not given out via random.org, in this type of games, roles are picked by players. If two or more desire the same role a simple random.org drawing will settle it.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
i'll play.
but in august i'll be away for 2 weeks on vacation so i'll be on and off (mostly off)

Just state which role and I'll write it down.

I'll soon post all the rules per each role. That way, we can achieve a balanced approach. I must say, it will take away the surprise effect; but, unlike last game, will provide a much more fair approach for both sides.

In this game, like last game, money is involved; however, here we get to use the money. New roles for the good guys are the Financial Advisor and Trade Agent are created specifically for this task. Both roles can function separately, but they work best when working in unison. The people who intend to submit their names for these two roles have to be consider being active as much as their partner for maximum return.

Money gained is used by both sides for upgrades and weapons. There will be a menu list of weapons for both sides. This menus will be secret but weapons will not be disproportionate.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Jav, I'm afraid I'll have to pass on this one - with reluctance.

I'm flying out to the Caucasus this coming Sunday - work related stuff (monitoring elections) - and expect to be away until around mid October. At the moment, I cannot say where exactly I shall be sent, nor what sort of online access I shall have until I actually get there.

At best, my participation will be limited and pretty irregular; between possibly limited internet access and irregular (but occasionally very intense and demanding) work demands I cannot guarantee regular participation, which would be unfair on others and on you as GG. Moreover, I remember the last EM game, which lasted for months, and I cannot offer to be available for the next two months, although there will certainly be a few pockets of time within that space where it will not be frenetic.

Meanwhile, the very best of luck with it, and I'll look in on it from time to time.

I'll be more than happy to participate in a WW, or EM, game when I return in October. ;)

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
I'll be more than happy to participate in a WW, or EM, game when I return in October. ;)

The game is not on schedule as it is due to rule loop holes as it is. Furthermore, this game is not stated to start just yet due to the nature of the [EM] games. Lats one started in April and ended in mid-start June. So, I expect this one to start mid October and end before the holidays.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The game is not on schedule as it is due to rule loop holes as it is. Furthermore, this game is not stated to start just yet due to the nature of the [EM] games. Lats one started in April and ended in mid-start June. So, I expect this one to start mid October and end before the holidays.

Okay, if it hasn't started by mid October, I'll more than happily join in at that time, but, as you can see, I cannot commit to anything between now and then.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I would be interested, but two rather short appearances within the [WW] games and the vastly increased complexity of this one let me shy away.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Super power revival !!! :eek:

no kidding... new game before christmas ?

[EM] games are usually long. So if you are in, best be sure you know you'll be able to pull brought the while thing. Hence we only have two [EM] games per year. This one, being the second one. If you wish to participate, please make a note.

Anyone is encouraged. Although it is highly recommended you have a previous WW under your belt.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Ok, read the whole rules-thing and think I understood (kind of)

You can count me in, if you like to Jav. I'd prefer being a cowboy though, Miami Druglord or St Louis Explorer sounds tempting..

..err that said, you think it's possible playing from a quite different timezone?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.