Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Read what I wrote below. If Apple could seamlessly pull this off, would you want it?

• I am primarily an iOS user and I do NOT approve of this.

Votes: 70 66.7%
  • I am primarily an iOS user and I approve of this.

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • I am primarily an Android user and I do NOT approve of this.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I am primarily an Android user and I approve of this. I may switch to iOS for this.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I am neither an iOS/Android user and I do NOT approve of this.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am neither an iOS/Android user and I approve of this. I may switch to iOS for this.

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
I know. Fragmentation. Blah blah blah. Hear me out.

Let's say Apple forked iOS into 2 different versions with the same core base:

• The 1st version will be iOS as it is now, and will come by default on every phone sold.
  • The 2nd version will be iOS but with features meant for advanced users, such as an accessible filesystem, advanced options, widgets, much of the legacy smartphone features that don't appear in iOS, default browser and program handling of filetypes, a far more customizable UI, basically an OS that can work more like your desktop OSX. A pro version of iOS, if you will.
  • You'll only be able to access the 2nd OS if you connect your phone to iTunes, click the advanced tab and go through a series of prompts warning you of what you're getting into such as less battery life while using advanced information displays, harder learning curve, etc before you download that OS onto your phone
  • Once installed, your advanced version of iOS will update using a different channel, kind of like using the Beta or Dev channel for Chrome on desktop. You'd never see the regular version of iOS again.
  • You can of course freely switch between versions back and forth easily.

Now, I dunno about you guys, but that would deal a huge blow to Android, right? To give that kind of added oomph to the OS would be fantastic and it wouldn't affect the core userbase since it takes know how to get to the advanced version.

I don't know how anybody could object to this since it would bring more iOS users and a huge boon to existing Macrumors readers who claim to be advanced users yet they seem to be ok with an OS that doesn't even let them set an app they download as the default for any function on their phone, but ok, lets discuss this and vote.

Last edited:

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Not a bad idea, you could have:

iOS Starter
iOS Basic
iOS Premium
iOS Professional
iOS Ultimate

:cool:
This would be funny if iOS actually only needed one version like OSX has since OSX doesn't drop long-standing features but...yeah...

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
This is the most riduculous idea I have heard in a while, it just sounds wrong.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
  • Once installed, your advanced version of iOS will update using a different channel, kind of like using the Beta or Dev channel for Chrome on desktop. You'd never see the regular version of iOS again.

Those two points seem to contradict each other. First we won't see the basic version of iOS ever again. Next we can switch between the two. :confused:

Anywho, seems like an interesting concept. Although I'm not sure about having many versions as 8a22a put. I say just two versions; basic and pro (or w/e you want to call them.

But I highly doubt Apple would ever do this . . . but you never know! :rolleyes: :p

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
Not a bad idea, you could have:

iOS Starter
iOS Basic
iOS Premium
iOS Professional
iOS Ultimate

:cool:

and

iOS Starter = $19
iOS Basic = $99
iOS Premium = $199
iOS Professional = $299
iOS Ultimate = $499

iPhone 5 64GB with iOS Ultimate for $1,298. :eek:

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Those two points seem to contradict each other. First we won't see the basic version of iOS ever again. Next we can switch between the two. :confused:
I mean that within the OS, you can't switch much less see any option to switch. You'd only be able to switch by connecting your iDevice to iTunes on your desktop and following the prompts.

This also has a benefit for iDevice users who don't own a computer, as they can't accidentally switch to the advanced version. Chances are if you don't have a desktop/laptop, you wouldn't want to switch to advanced iOS anyway. :p

----------

Are you a PC user by any chance?
I dual boot Windows and Linux. Mostly a Linux user.

geoffm33

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2010
Are you serious?
Have you not read any other posts from this guy?
I think he hates anything :apple:

So do you think his OP is a ruse to make some larger point? Why wouldn't he just make the larger point. Take the OP for what it is, a question. Answer it or not but don't attack.

Last edited:

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I know. Fragmentation. Blah blah blah. Hear me out.

Let's say Apple forked iOS into 2 different versions with the same core base:

• The 1st version will be iOS as it is now, and will come by default on every phone sold.
  • The 2nd version will be iOS but with features meant for advanced users, such as an accessible filesystem, advanced options, widgets, much of the legacy smartphone features that don't appear in iOS, default browser and program handling of filetypes, a far more customizable UI, basically an OS that can work more like your desktop OSX. A pro version of iOS, if you will.
  • You'll only be able to access the 2nd OS if you connect your phone to iTunes, click the advanced tab and go through a series of prompts warning you of what you're getting into such as less battery life while using advanced information displays, harder learning curve, etc before you download that OS onto your phone

Now, I dunno about you guys, but that would deal a huge blow to Android, right? To give that kind of added oomph to the OS would be fantastic and it wouldn't affect the core userbase since it takes know how to get to the advanced version.

I don't know how anybody could object to this since it would bring more iOS users and a huge boon to existing Macrumors readers who claim to be advanced users yet they seem to be ok with an OS that doesn't even let them set an app they download as the default for any function on their phone, but ok, lets discuss this and vote.

You've overcomplicated things. You wouldn't need two different versions of iOS, you'd only need one with the advanced settings baked in, but disabled by default.

However I'm against both of those ideas. Apple has made a great OS which is very easy to use, consistent, and safe. To add any functionality that goes against those principals would be detrimental, even if it's optional.

It's far more important that Apple focuses on improving iOS for everyone. That said, I think Apple should add widgets, a setting for the default browser, and a utility for monitoring battery life like in Android. (And for the record they already have some form of file handling -- e.g, if you tap on a word document in Mail you'll be prompted with a list of apps to open it with.)

Reddkryten

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
Honestly, I have mixed feelings on this one.

I consider myself to be a fairly advanced user, however what also attracts me to iOS is the simplicity. In the past I have had to delve into a machines guts and software to fix a problem, with iOS this doesn't really happen.

At the same time I would like to do more advanced things on my iPad, things like adding lyrics to songs, moving audio files from one program to another, etc. I'm not talking about hardcore 3d rendering or massive video files, but if my PC from five years ago (which had similar specs to my iPad) could do it, why can't my iPad?

However the implementation the op suggested just seems clunky and ugly to me. I think apple is already moving in the right direction with the ability to attach photos from emails, if that expands to other file types it could be very benificial.

Steve Jobs said that the file system is dead (or words to that effect) at first I found this hard to believe, but an alternative system based on metadata could offer the same benefits but none of the cons. Imagine asking Siri or typing in spotlight to bring up all files related to banking, then narrowing that down to 2007-2009, then narrowing it down again to business only.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
[*]The 2nd version will be iOS but with features meant for advanced users, such as an accessible filesystem, advanced options, widgets, much of the legacy smartphone features that don't appear in iOS, default browser and program handling of filetypes, a far more customizable UI, basically an OS that can work more like your desktop OSX. A pro version of iOS, if you will.

You're basically describing Android lol!

This won't happen because Linus distrobutions have been having these open-source features for Years! and OS X is still locked down tight and limited.

There is no pro version of OS X, if that was the case the more pro version would be linux.

Unix like or Unix is the same thing for us mortals.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
*facepalm thats all I have to say about this thread. As steve said one os with all the features.
But does iOS really have "all the features"?

----------

Are you serious?
Have you not read any other posts from this guy?
I think he hates anything :apple:
I was an iPhone user for years until recently. I used to love the product but you have to admit the software and hardware are starting to really lag behind what is possible right now. I'd love to go back to the iPhone and what I'm suggesting will probably do it for me but right now, I can't and I have a feeling I won't when the iPhone 5/6 is announced.

----------

You're basically describing Android lol!

This won't happen because Linus distrobutions have been having these open-source features for Years! and OS X is still locked down tight and limited.
No, I'm describing what every smartphone OS should have. It has nothing to do with Android. I would drop Android in a second if something better popped up, just like I dropped iOS.

OSX can do all the things I described minus the widgets which would be pointless on a desktop.

----------

Steve Jobs said that the file system is dead (or words to that effect]
Steve Jobs was being more of a salesman here. He's not going to put any emphasis on filesystems when his business model is app-based.

Last edited by a moderator:

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
This idea isn't for me. For those that would bite for this, it wouldn't be enough anyway and they'd always want more.. Besides where does this end? 3GS will run iOS 6 this time over but imagine the moaning if it didn't run iOS 6 pro?

Also from a business perspective, where's the cost benefit for apple? This isn't going to bring all android consumers to the iOS Eco-system, And probably a small number at that, tag on top the cost of developing two operating systems concurrently and that's a loss maker right there.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
This idea isn't for me. For those that would bite for this, it wouldn't be enough anyway and they'd always want more..
That makes no sense. People only want more right now because Apple hasn't given everything they're already used to. Once Apple brings things up to parity with other smartphones, nobody could ask for more.

Besides where does this end? 3GS will run iOS 6 this time over but imagine the moaning if it didn't run iOS 6 pro?
I think you guys are smart enough to see that iOS6 pro wouldn't be feasible on 4 year old hardware. Besides, people moan every time an old phone loses support. Who cares?

Also from a business perspective, where's the cost benefit for apple? This isn't going to bring all android consumers to the iOS Eco-system, And probably a small number at that, tag on top the cost of developing two operating systems concurrently and that's a loss maker right there.
1) You pretty much obliterate most of the reasons somebody would buy an Android phone over an iPhone. It would definitely bring in a big chunk of Android users because a lot of them just want a phone that does what their old Symbian or Blackberry phone or WinMo smartphone did in the pre-iPhone days and the closest thing to that is Android. Once you get all those features from those old pre-iPhone smartphones into the iPhone, Android will pretty much see a sharp drop, and RIM Blackberry users will finally leave RIM dead in the ground too.

2) The added cost of a pro version's development would be tiny compared to the returns they'd get from new users. Do you really think that they're spending that much money on iOS development considering how disappointing iOS6 beta has been? This would be the shot in the arm Apple needs to come out on top and destroy the competition.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
But does iOS really have "all the features"?

I guess to each his/her own. If you want full access and customization, I think Android is the way to go. And contrary to some around here, I think there is nothing wrong with that. There is place for more than one types of phone.

Personally, I am done with my tinkering phase (computers and phones) and truly enjoy what the iPhone gives me. Like I said, to each his own, even if the most rabid "enthusiasts" (not using the "F" word) from each sides want to obliterate the other... (sigh)

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
So do you think his OP is a ruse to make some larger point? Why wouldn't he just make the larger point. Take the OP for what it is, a question. Answer it or not but don't attack.
Thanks for being reasonable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.