Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
My new macbook air 13" base has an lg screen and a toshiba ssd. I've turned on the gas in the oven and will stick my head in. Theres no reason to live. But seriously folks my screen is, to use a cliche, picture perfect and the ssd is SO fast i cant even count a second ir two before something boots up. While on paper this whole you need samsung etc etc may be true in reality i think its another fanboy ocd issue and should just go away. I feel sorry for those who are so unnerved by this NON-issue.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
One thing you need to realize is that whatever is going on here is not indicative of what is happening world-wide. It is not to say that issues aren't occurring, but if you let yourself decide there is a "wide spread" issue based only on these forums then you will certainly drive yourself insane.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
You're just over-reacting... It's all fine, but if you really hate it that much, why not just give it away for free? Seriously people, you have to stop with this LG vs Samsung vs Toshiba crap...

EDIT: I actually stopped reading your post after the first phrase cause it already pissed me off... Afterward you seemingly were just being ironic and wrote a quite stupid intro. Stop posting in such manner... it's crap...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You're just over-reacting... It's all fine, but if you really hate it that much, why not just give it away for free? Seriously people, you have to stop with this LG vs Samsung vs Toshiba crap...

When the Alu Mac Books came out there was an absolute difference in quality of screens between LG and Samsung I think it was. However, I think we're really getting too involved in these things making it difficult to enjoy the computers. I get that the price people pay is a premium and they expect quality; no one is saying not to, but I think that people are putting too much stake in something that may not be a real big issue.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
When the Alu Mac Books came out there was an absolute difference in quality of screens between LG and Samsung I think it was. However, I think we're really getting too involved in these things making it difficult to enjoy the computers. I get that the price people pay is a premium and they expect quality; no one is saying not to, but I think that people are putting too much stake in something that may not be a real big issue.

I can't comment on the first part though ( the quality difference when the Alu Mac Books came out - had never bothered comparing 2 side by side ) but I totally agree with the second part.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011

EDIT: I actually stopped reading your post after the first phrase cause it already pissed me off... Afterward you seemingly were just being ironic and wrote a quite stupid intro. Stop posting in such manner... it's crap...

Dont make assumptions until you read the WHOLE post plus i had lol in the subject line.

Last edited by a moderator:

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
We get this all the time with BMW - "my M3 idles 50 rpm faster then my friends identical car" - it's inevitable when discussing hobby items....fun to read OCD sometimes, other times maddening....

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
I had whichever was 'better' on my 2011 MBA 13" and did not care at all. Didn't even look on my 2012 11" MBA. It doesn't matter. People need to realize it's an Apple product and the whole point is to just get it and use it and quit being concerned with these details or 2% speed differences or subjective-maybe-better-worse-color issues. If you're getting an Apple product with that in mind, you should just stop while you're ahead and buy elsewhere. I hear Alienware makes some really fast super cool computers!!!!!!!!!!!!

To OP just ignore it, 'good' or 'bad' and enjoy your wonderful MBA.

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
My new macbook air 13" base has an lg screen and a toshiba ssd. I've turned on the gas in the oven and will stick my head in. Theres no reason to live. But seriously folks my screen is, to use a cliche, picture perfect and the ssd is SO fast i cant even count a second ir two before something boots up. While on paper this whole you need samsung etc etc may be true in reality i think its another fanboy ocd issue and should just go away. I feel sorry for those who are so unnerved by this NON-issue.

Well said, I don't even know what screen I have and it'll stay that way.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

It made me laugh and it was a damn good post, which ridiculed the crazy mass hysteria in a fun and harmless way. Who are you to tell people how they should post? Is humour still not allowed in Switzerland?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Well depending on which MacBook Air you have… if it's latest model the Toshiba SSD uses a SF-2281 controller whereas the Samsung uses their own 830 controller. Both are comparable in performance.

As you've pointed out, they are different on paper, but from day-to-day users cannot really tell the difference without looking at benchmarks.

GBlansten

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Thick Ascending Limb
I've got the Samsung screen and ssd and you don't know what you are missing. I still might return my 13" MBA though. It has a 1.3 micron ding on the outer rim on the case and of course that completely ruins the whole experience for me. I'd post more but I've got to go pick up my medications.;)

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
It could have two hampsters hopped up on methamphetamine for all I care. My 2012 11" MBA is fast.

tweaknmod

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
Why can't people be bothered to read the entire post before responding?! It's not as if the original poster wrote an essay or anything!

Read... think... respond.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.