Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Closed Thread

Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:23 AM   #251
Fizzoid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
Villa have announced that Stylian Petrov's Leukaemia is in remission.
Just saw that. Nice to see it's not just the Olympians winning things!
Fizzoid is offline   0
Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:46 AM   #252
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

Good news about Petrov. I hope to see him back on the pitch as soon as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
I love a good racism debate. But when a debater has an emotional stake in the parties involved (e.g. your team's player), it just gets totally overdone and sad. It literally depressed me checking facebook after it happened and seeing all of my friends (mix of Manc / Liv) with absolutely zero objectivity - it was just pathetic.
It's time to move on...Suarez took his punishment, Liverpool/FA handled things clumsily at times and the whole thing was simply very distasteful. A large number of English football fans will see Suarez as a big villain forever now, that's just the way it is. As a Liverpool fan I'll defend him up to a point, but I think he should shut up, put his head down and play football from here on out. That is what he gets paid to do.

As for Ferdinand, he's found himself on the wrong end of the anti-racism campaign and rightly so. I can understand why it happened, and the Terry case was a farce, but zero tolerance is zero tolerance.

EDIT: Liverpool victorious in Europe tonight. It's like old times. Onwards to the last 10,000 of the Europa League.

Last edited by Lord Blackadder; Aug 2, 2012 at 02:51 PM.
Lord Blackadder is offline   1
Old Aug 2, 2012, 03:07 PM   #253
Jaffa Cake
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Blackadder View Post
The last 10,000 of the Europa League.
That's the third best team in Belarus put firmly in their place.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 03:23 PM   #254
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffa Cake View Post
That's the third best team in Belarus put firmly in their place.
Only the best progress in this competition.

Joe Cole pulled a hammy, that's obviously a huge blow to our league campaign chances of selling him.

Last edited by Lord Blackadder; Aug 2, 2012 at 04:26 PM.
Lord Blackadder is offline   0
Old Aug 3, 2012, 08:44 AM   #255
daneoni
macrumors G4

Aquilani is off to Fiorentina, Mourinho has released Sahin, and Carzola finished his medical last night.

Last edited by daneoni; Aug 3, 2012 at 09:22 AM.
daneoni is offline   0
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:31 AM   #256
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000

Aquilani £20m, Downing £20m, Carroll £35m, Henderson £16m, Cole on £6m per year (never such a thing as a free lunch)...there has been some serious value distraction there at Anfield past couple of years...
Confuzzzed is offline   0
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:02 AM   #257
Cox Orange
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by takao View Post
on paper this is perhaps one of the best Arsenal transfer windows since a few years:
Podolski, Giroud, Cazorla
Sahin on loan

i just hope they deliver and fit in the squad fast enough

Sahin can play an excellent deep lying playmaker which is kinda a bad match for the Real madrid squad
Still can't see Podolski will shine whith other good players around. I mean, maybe with Kölln he looked to be to good for Kölln (we know were Kölln is now), but judging from his playing in the national team I can't see him standing out or even doing a vital role at Arsenal (but I am a football part time watcher, to be honest, so my impression might be wrong).

Sorry for getting excited about women's football again, but Sweden out! A pity but deserved giving how their goal keeper acts some time and tha they had to play against France which they somehow equal with in strength I think. This leaves France and the USA (no surprise and New Zealand out, no surprise, too).
I'll be watching Japan-Brazil soon. I'm looking forward to, but I think Japan will win (though they might adapt better to a European playing style in general).
Later on, GB-Kanada. Britain looked a lot better in the last match than England before and while I would say they are on par with Kanada, this time GB might get to the half-finale the first time since 1995 (England) and second time ever, while never having qualified for Olympia (other than Euro Cup and World Cup).
Would be nasty suggesting they profit from Ellen White being injured

Btw, after China etc. intentionally loosing in Bad-Minton, I read the Japanese Coach said the 0:0 in the football match against South Africa was intended, too. Well they must have thought Brazil will win over GB and then Japan will get GB. Now since GB had won they get Brazil. Well it could have been easier...
Cox Orange is offline   0
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:16 PM   #258
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzzed View Post
there has been some serious value distraction there at Anfield past couple of years...
Money poorly spent. But those were not Brendan Rogers' buys, and we have to work with them the best we can and accept that all of them will be sold at a substantial loss should we decide to let them go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cox Orange View Post
Sorry for getting excited about women's football again, but Sweden out! A pity but deserved giving how their goal keeper acts some time and tha they had to play against France which they somehow equal with in strength I think. This leaves France and the USA (no surprise and New Zealand out, no surprise, too).
I'll be watching Japan-Brazil soon. I'm looking forward to, but I think Japan will win (though they might adapt better to a European playing style in general).
Later on, GB-Kanada. Britain looked a lot better in the last match than England before and while I would say they are on par with Kanada, this time GB might get to the half-finale the first time since 1995 (England) and second time ever, while never having qualified for Olympia (other than Euro Cup and World Cup).
Would be nasty suggesting they profit from Ellen White being injured
I would like to see a USA-Japan rematch for the final, but team GB has had a surprisingly good tournament and Brazil is still very much in it as well. Team GB will be a tough opponent for the USA in the semi should they go through. I'm sure Piers "We need to be an Empire again" Morgan would be pleased to see them in the final.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:34 PM   #259
twietee
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Still can't see Podolski will shine whith other good players around.
(...)
but judging from his playing in the national team I can't see him standing out or even doing a vital role at Arsenal.
It is indeed strange. Mertesacker, Podolski and Marin didn't play any major role in the Bundesliga and all of them are more or less exchanged by other players in the national team too. One would think Premier League clubs would try to buy them when they are on top of their game and not afterwards..
we'll see.

Btw do you people see Mertesacker on the Bench? Is there a site one can check for the starting 11 and stuff like that..have to work on my Fantasy Team.
twietee is offline   0
Old Aug 4, 2012, 04:07 PM   #260
Cox Orange
macrumors 65816

GB vs South Korea:

Oh no! Not penalties!

Though I found GB's men good, that game today seemed less entertaining to me.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 04:14 PM   #261
daneoni
macrumors G4

...and that is that for Team GB. Sturridge just never looked convincing.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 05:12 PM   #262
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

Exiting the Quarterfinal on pens....there's too much England in this team GB...
Lord Blackadder is offline   1
Old Aug 4, 2012, 06:09 PM   #263
pachyderm
macrumors 68030

Quote:
GB vs South Korea:

Oh no! Not penalties!

Though I found GB's men good, that game today seemed less entertaining to me.
the women's side of the olympic footy has been more entertaining...
Old Aug 5, 2012, 07:01 AM   #264
pachyderm
macrumors 68030

MLS NOTE:
Houston and San Jose having very good seasons!

Houston is doing something right lately because they seem to be perennial contenders...
Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:24 PM   #265
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

Tragedly has struck Columbus and MLS: Crew midfielder Kirk Urso died this morning in a hospital in Columbus. Very few details available at the moment. Devastating.

Last edited by Lord Blackadder; Aug 5, 2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 07:03 AM   #266
pachyderm
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Tragedly has struck Columbus and MLS: Crew midfielder Kirk Urso died this morning in a hospital in Columbus. Very few details available at the moment. Devastating.
what a shame. rip.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 01:59 PM   #267
oscillatewildly
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Saw the bad news in today's paper , it also mentioned another incident :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19147413

twietee - fantasy football - try :

http://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/

Vermaelen and Koscielny are Arsenal's best.

Cheers,
OW
Old Aug 6, 2012, 02:31 PM   #268
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

It's a terrible tragedy, a 22 year-old kid...cause of death is still unknown, today's autopsy noted some heart issues, but so far the data is inconclusive. Toxicology tests will take at least six weeks. I am hoping it was not the result of anything untoward, but regardless it's a horrible thing for everyone involved.

EDIT: Back to football on the pitch...USA and Canada are playing out a dramatic match. 3-3 after 90 and we go into extra time.

Last edited by Lord Blackadder; Aug 6, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 04:25 PM   #269
oscillatewildly
macrumors 68000

Football, bloody hell!

Soft penalty at Old Trafford.

Cheers,
OW
Old Aug 6, 2012, 05:00 PM   #270
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

What a great performance by both teams. And such a dramatic finish! USA go on to face Japan, their nemesis from the World Cup.

Last edited by Lord Blackadder; Aug 6, 2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 05:11 PM   #271
Cox Orange
macrumors 65816

WOW! USA vs Canada.
Now, that was entertaining!
I think after the world cup 2011's Finale (USA-Japan), we have another match to be called a classic in the future or lets say remarkable. WOW...

Another step in rehabilitating women's football.

btw we learned 1. Hope Solo has a fat little daughter or niece and 2. it seems to be the mascot of the team, too. So like a symbol of America's today's nutrition problems (Sorry, couldn't resist).
Old Aug 7, 2012, 06:08 AM   #272
daneoni
macrumors G4

Its official. Cazorla is now an Arsenal player

Last edited by daneoni; Aug 7, 2012 at 07:05 AM.
daneoni is offline   0
Old Aug 7, 2012, 06:49 AM   #273
Jaffa Cake
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
Its official. Carzola is now an Arsenal player
Could prove to be a nice bit of business, that.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 07:06 AM   #274
daneoni
macrumors G4

Agreed. Hopefully he quickly adjusts to the EPL.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 07:50 AM   #275
Turtlefish
macrumors newbie

Football App

Speaking of football, there's a new football guessing game released today on the app store called 'Who Are Ya'. Kinda addictive.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/who-a...9159?ls=1&mt=8
Turtlefish is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion