Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 3, 2012, 09:40 PM   #1
Spectrum Abuser
macrumors 65816

Lightbulb iPhone on Tracfone?

DISCLAIMER: I've only found one video on YouTube about this and not a whole lot of information discussing long term usage.

A little background on Tracfone[also owns Net10 and Straight Talk]. They're a prepaid carrier in the United States that offers basic cellphone service at bottom of the barrel prices. There's no data plans as they use 'airtime' for your internet usage, but calling and texting is available. They back-haul off of Verizon or AT&T depending on your ZIP area.

Now onto the question. I'm curious to see if anyone has tried or is successfully using an iPhone on Tracfones[GSM] network? Their rates are pretty much as cheap as you can get for calling and could potentially save quite a bit of money.

Last edited by Spectrum Abuser; Jul 3, 2012 at 10:00 PM.
Spectrum Abuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Satnam1989
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum Abuser View Post
DISCLAIMER: I've only found one video on YouTube about this and not a whole lot of information discussing long term usage.

A little background on Tracfone[also owns Net10 and Straight Talk]. They're a prepaid carrier in the United States that offers basic cellphone service at bottom of the barrel prices. There's no data plans as they use 'airtime' for your internet usage, but calling and texting is available. They back-haul off of Verizon or AT&T depending on your ZIP area.

Now onto the question. I'm curious to see if anyone has tried or is successfully using an iPhone on Tracfones[GSM] network? Their rates are pretty much as cheap as you can get for calling and could potentially save quite a bit of money.

im not sure how much ur planning to save....

Tracfone owns Net10 and Straight Talk correct, but from my understanding and knowledge Tracfone brand it self runs mostly on Verizon/Sprint CDMA network....yes the phones have sim cards but those sim cards aren't GSM sim cards....much like the ones you get in your iPhone 4S if u were with Sprint/Verizon....

Straight Talk uses almost all but vast majority of their coverage is based on T-Mobile/AT&T rather than Verizon/Sprint.

Net10 also runs mostly off of Verizon/Sprint rather than T-Mobile/AT&T

There is no way to make Tracfone(incl Net10) on iPhone....Also the same rates they offer you can get with T-Mobile prepaid....I think Red-Rocket and H2O wireless also offer pretty good rates so check them out.
Satnam1989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:15 AM   #3
AlexTrac
Banned

iPhone on Tracfone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum Abuser View Post

Hi Spectrum!

I'm Alex with TracFone Wireless. Thank you for your preference to use TracFone Wireless as your phone service provider. TracFone Wireless is the mother company and under TracFone are Straight Talk, Net10 and SafeLink Wireless. Yes, you are right! The program "Bring Your Own Phone" of Straight Talk or "Bring Your Own Device" of NET10 will allow you to bring any unlocked GSM phone to the respective phone brand's service. Unlike the two brands, TracFone and SafeLink Wireless does not offer this program yet. For further questions, please send us an email at TF.CorpResolutionTeam@tracfone.com.

Thank you.

Alex

TracFone Wireless
AlexTrac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2012, 11:33 AM   #4
Spectrum Abuser
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satnam1989 View Post
im not sure how much ur planning to save....

Tracfone owns Net10 and Straight Talk correct, but from my understanding and knowledge Tracfone brand it self runs mostly on Verizon/Sprint CDMA network....yes the phones have sim cards but those sim cards aren't GSM sim cards....much like the ones you get in your iPhone 4S if u were with Sprint/Verizon...
Any of their phones ending with 'G' are GSM serviced phones. Wether the phones are serviced by AT&T or T-Mobile, though, is irrelevant as it's a 2G connection.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTrac View Post
Hi Spectrum!

I'm Alex with TracFone Wireless. Thank you for your preference to use TracFone Wireless as your phone service provider. TracFone Wireless is the mother company and under TracFone are Straight Talk, Net10 and SafeLink Wireless. Yes, you are right! The program "Bring Your Own Phone" of Straight Talk or "Bring Your Own Device" of NET10 will allow you to bring any unlocked GSM phone to the respective phone brand's service. Unlike the two brands, TracFone and SafeLink Wireless does not offer this program yet. For further questions, please send us an email at TF.CorpResolutionTeam@tracfone.com.

Thank you.

Alex

TracFone Wireless
Will do.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Tags
gsm, iphone, prepaid, tracfone