Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tfannon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
Is there any software for keeping file in sync between a mac and a pc? i got the Mac Air w/512 SSD. I was thinking about keeping all my music and pictures synced up with my mothership PC.

I use sugarsync to keep certain items synced across devices but that is expensive to get > 30gb. Any programs out there that keep things synced across a LAN?

Thank you.

Redbull916

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
Brighton, UK
iTunes Match sorts out the music, so I just sync my files and I use dropbox Pro.

I've tried both Microsoft SkyDrive (kept missing files - known issue on web) and Google Drive (known issue with the software as it uses 4% CPU when inactive and 160%!! when moving files).

Dropbox Pro is quite expensive, but works perfectly across my Mac, PC, iPhone and iPad.

asting

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
Don't use Google Drive. The EULA they have is absolutely ridiculous, and requires that any file that is stored on their server becomes Google property.
I love my android phone, but I fear google.

When I had my Dell Mini Hackintosh I used a dropbox stored on a common drive which synced on both Windows 7 and OSX.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Is there any software for keeping file in sync between a mac and a pc? i got the Mac Air w/512 SSD. I was thinking about keeping all my music and pictures synced up with my mothership PC.

I use sugarsync to keep certain items synced across devices but that is expensive to get > 30gb. Any programs out there that keep things synced across a LAN?

Thank you.

rsync. You use it from the command line in the Terminal app

http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/using_rsync_keep_your_files_sync_0

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
If you fear Google you shouldn't be using the Internet. At least they're honest & open about it.

You owe it to yourself to take responsibility & read the TOC & privacy policies of any cloud service. After you have, you'll probably realize they're all about the same.

Privacy? Sorry, too late. Cloud or not. You're already using a Mac.

If you bought it new, they've already got your name & address. If you think you can trust Apple... think again.

If you don't believe it, enjoy being in denial. It doesnt matter it's too late anyway. You have no say in the matter. It's just a fact no matter what anyone chooses to believe.

bit density

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2004
Seattle
If it is across a LAN, then get a NAS. There are tons of different kinds and models. But it can provide a common drive that is visible to each computer.

For relatively small items, like current work, I use my mail account and mail myself files. It is by far the easiest, seems to always work. But I wouldn't want to be sharing 30 g worth of stuff. But I don't need that most of the time.

asting

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
If you fear Google you shouldn't be using the Internet. At least they're honest & open about it.

You owe it to yourself to take responsibility & read the TOC & privacy policies of any cloud service. After you have, you'll probably realize they're all about the same.

Privacy? Sorry, too late. Cloud or not. You're already using a Mac.

If you bought it new, they've already got your name & address. If you think you can trust Apple... think again.

If you don't believe it, enjoy being in denial. It doesnt matter it's too late anyway. You have no say in the matter. It's just a fact no matter what anyone chooses to believe.

This is blatantly false and near conspiracy theory levels. A lot of information is used for marketing by nearly every company, but google is by far the worst. They are not the same, and Google drive is much worse than either the windows or Dropbox solution (information coming from their EULA's).
Google is particularly bad, and track your searches and even everything typed into google chrome. I'm not delusional enough to think my life matters that much to them, but I "opt" out of some of their tracking.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
This is blatantly false and near conspiracy theory levels. A lot of information is used for marketing by nearly every company, but google is by far the worst. They are not the same, and Google drive is much worse than either the windows or Dropbox solution (information coming from their EULA's).
Google is particularly bad, and track your searches and even everything typed into google chrome. I'm not delusional enough to think my life matters that much to them, but I "opt" out of some of their tracking.

No need to overreact. Nor misinterpret my post.
I did _not_ say they're all the same.
Nor am I here to argue.
Believe as you like... it's your personal info anyway.

asting

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
No need to overreact. Nor misinterpret my post.
I did _not_ say they're all the same.
Nor am I here to argue.
Believe as you like... it's your personal info anyway.

Maybe you're misunderstanding my tone. I'm not upset, but this is a pretty clear, non-subjective topic. Google's EULA is far worse:
google drive EULA said:
When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones. This license continues even if you stop using our Services …
None of the other EULA's are anywhere near as aggressive or have clauses like that.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010

Thank you.

if you can, just put all your music in the cloud. either itunes service or google music which is free. i don't store any music on my laptop or iphone and just stream it all from the cloud. for pictures, why not just upload them to a private photo site? (unless of course you're worried about privacy and such)

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Maybe you're misunderstanding my tone. I'm not upset, but this is a pretty clear, non-subjective topic. Google's EULA is far worse:

None of the other EULA's are anywhere near as aggressive or have clauses like that.
First for clarification, I'm not advocating for any company or entity.

I prefer to take the time to read the EULA's Terms Of Service, Privacy Policies et al, before I use any site, service, cloud, etc. Therefore I have already read them.

I'm not suggesting you haven't. I respect your opinion, I'm simply stating my take on the subject.

Personally, my choice (long ago) was to setup two very robust, comprehensive properly backed up home networks. One is a closed loop network, not connected to the Internet. That's where all my personal data resides. Backups are kept off site. The second, is a connected network that is as secure as possible and only contains working non mission critical data. I limit my use of the Internet & cloud services to casual use for convenience only. Files that are neither essential nor the only copy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.